ADVERTISEMENT

Riverbend’s new football coach thrilled to get a second chance

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
imagejpeg_0-e1712793213127-576x551.jpg

When Ed Webb was the head football coach at Northumberland High School for one season in 2013, it coincided with a painful chapter in his life.

His father, Phillip Webb, a longtime assistant coach at Patrick Henry High School in Ashland, died.

Webb was also distressed because his former coaching colleague at Louisa High, Mark Fischer, was diagnosed with cancer. As if those stressors weren’t enough, he was driving 1 ½ hours one way to coach the Indians.

Webb eventually resigned because it was too difficult to manage along with helping his mother on the farm in Bumpass and raising his own children.

“I didn’t want to leave Northumberland,” Webb said. “But at the same time, I had all these things at home taking me away from the kids and what we were trying to build.”

More than a decade later, Webb is getting his second shot as a head coach.

The former Patrick Henry High and Virginia Military Institute offensive lineman was hired as a replacement for Nathan Yates at Riverbend High School. His appointment was approved by the Spotsylvania County School Board earlier this week.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT