ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads at Central.......Something's Gotta Give!

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
The obvious goal for each team will be to win the region and return to state play, since both of them were there last year. But each one has at least two other streaks they would like to maintain.

Starting with Central, since they are unbeaten on the season, they will of course want to keep that going, hopefully for three more games. But I also read someplace that their coach has a perfect record against teams that he faces twice in the same season. At the time, that figure was supposed to be 7-0 but I guess with Friday's escape over Strasburg, it would now be 8-0. So they will want to win Friday to keep that streak alive.

As for Riverheads, their primary motivation is to continue their streak of state titles. That is currently at 7 but of course to extend that they will have to get past Central and win two more after that. If the Big Red can in fact go all the way, that will be amazing considering the jump to Class 2 this season. On a related note, the radio guys commented the other night that because of that string of state titles, the Gladiators now have something like 32 playoff wins in a row and the current team has never lost a playoff game. Needless to say, they will be motivated to keep that streak alive.

Also the Gladiators have had a habit over the years of knocking off unbeaten teams at playoff time. The ones that immediately come to mind are Surry County, Sussex and Eastern Montgomery. I don't have this information at my fingertips but I would assume that Essex would have been unbeaten at least once, maybe twice, when RHS knocked them out. Not sure about Lunenburg, Altavista, Galax, Chilhowie, or any others that we have played more than once over the years.

So with all that pride at stake for both teams, somebody's streaks will have to come to an end. So needless to say, it will be a heck of a game. I just ask three things of the evening.........

We can expect and can handle a little cold, but please no rain!

No major officiating mishaps so that the losing team leaves the field feeling they were ripped off. Let the kids decide the game on the field.

And for Pete's sake give us ANYTHING but another 8-7 Central win! If that should happen, somebody should call those Guinness World Records people!

Should be a great game out of two very good teams. Special teams and field position will be the key IMO because both defenses play downhill.

That first game was the first game of the season so both teams have improved in areas and both have had to deal with injuries through the season.

Has Riverheads made enough improvements to overcome Central? Or has Central put more distance between them and the visiting Gladiators?

As a fan you want to see good games and if this one is anything like that first it will be just that.
#RollPride

The obvious goal for each team will be to win the region and return to state play, since both of them were there last year. But each one has at least two other streaks they would like to maintain.

Starting with Central, since they are unbeaten on the season, they will of course want to keep that going, hopefully for three more games. But I also read someplace that their coach has a perfect record against teams that he faces twice in the same season. At the time, that figure was supposed to be 7-0 but I guess with Friday's escape over Strasburg, it would now be 8-0. So they will want to win Friday to keep that streak alive.

As for Riverheads, their primary motivation is to continue their streak of state titles. That is currently at 7 but of course to extend that they will have to get past Central and win two more after that. If the Big Red can in fact go all the way, that will be amazing considering the jump to Class 2 this season. On a related note, the radio guys commented the other night that because of that string of state titles, the Gladiators now have something like 32 playoff wins in a row and the current team has never lost a playoff game. Needless to say, they will be motivated to keep that streak alive.

Also the Gladiators have had a habit over the years of knocking off unbeaten teams at playoff time. The ones that immediately come to mind are Surry County, Sussex and Eastern Montgomery. I don't have this information at my fingertips but I would assume that Essex would have been unbeaten at least once, maybe twice, when RHS knocked them out. Not sure about Lunenburg, Altavista, Galax, Chilhowie, or any others that we have played more than once over the years.

So with all that pride at stake for both teams, somebody's streaks will have to come to an end. So needless to say, it will be a heck of a game. I just ask three things of the evening.........

No major officiating mishaps so that the losing team leaves the field feeling they were ripped off. Let the kids decide the game on the field.

And for Pete's sake give us ANYTHING but another 8-7 Central win! If that should happen, somebody should call those Guinness World Records people!
Or maybe Jesus will take care of it

Central will bring a timely wrinkle play on offense. Riverheads better stay disciplined or it will change the game.

Should be a great game out of two very good teams. Special teams and field position will be the key IMO because both defenses play downhill.

That first game was the first game of the season so both teams have improved in areas and both have had to deal with injuries through the season.

Has Riverheads made enough improvements to overcome Central? Or has Central put more distance between them and the visiting Gladiators?

As a fan you want to see good games and if this one is anything like that first it will be just that.
#RollPride
First game of the season, and also 90 plus degrees

If CCC doesn’t get hurt in the 4th quarter this game would’ve been played in Greenville. I got RHS in Salem in 3 weeks.

Nothing against the Riverheads or CCC but I’d like to see CW get back to Salem. Forbes & Lopez are on another level as is CCC. I’m very excited to see how this game plays out. Some great football the next three weeks in Class 2!

Reactions: MCAthletics
Woodstock knows how to win close games. Riverheads has not had to win many tight games in the end. That could come into play. Aside from CW and somewhat last week, has RHS played a game within two TDs?

Woodstock knows how to win close games. Riverheads has not had to win many tight games in the end. That could come into play. Aside from CW and somewhat last week, has RHS played a game within two TDs?
Staunton storm

TURNOVERS WILL BE THE FACTOR . Turn the ball over and your season could turn in to ROUNDBALL ! Teams this evenly matched often play games decided by turnovers . It may only be ONE that decides the outcome . Hope for an injury free game and may it please not be decided by blind ZEBRAS ! JMO

The playoff streak is at 30, CCC is finally healthy, he is a man on a mission, 14 tds last 3 games, but central,s d is very fast and physical, so something has to give, hope it don't come down to the officials, they have been bad all year.

CW is not friendly to old people on the visitors side . I may have to stay on the hill and stir the pot ! Big red by 2 scores !

Reactions: Bama1985
Too close to call for me. This will be a physical, grind it out kind of a game.

Reactions: Bama1985
CW is not friendly to old people on the visitors side . I may have to stay on the hill and stir the pot ! Big red by 2 scores !
I heard that central has the best cheese burgers in the state, old people sit on the hill so they are close to the bathrooms, don't stir the pot to much, beep beep beep

This matchup is going to be special. Riverheads is healthy and over the last 3 games it seems CCC is on a mission. Riverheads has responded well after the season opening loss to Central. Central is a team that has 2 studs in Forbes and Lopez, but they have some other really good backs like Riverheads does. Central plays physical team defense. They are a clutch team and are not scared to go for the win if it is late in the game by going for 2. They did it in game 1 of the year to win 8-7 and again with the season on the line this past Friday. Both teams have the pedigree of being in this game. Mistakes and penalties will be crucial to the outcome of this one. I look for big games from Forbes and CCC running the football.

I am going to go Central 21 Riverheads 20. Forbes with 160 on the ground and 2 tds . CCC with 155 and 2 tds

Reactions: TS69
@BullRun66 I tend to agree with it being a race to 21. IMO in the first game Riverheads moved the ball much more than Central did with a TD called back and another big first down deep in their red zone called back that could have resulted in points. Central only got inside the 35 one time but that was enough. I personally do not think that will be the case this time as I do not see this as a 8-7 game. You heard it here first, the winner will have at least a 14 point cushion when the horn sounds. It could be either tbh so lets see what 13 weeks of football has done for these two teams.

@BullRun66 I tend to agree with it being a race to 21. IMO in the first game Riverheads moved the ball much more than Central did with a TD called back and another big first down deep in their red zone called back that could have resulted in points. Central only got inside the 35 one time but that was enough. I personally do not think that will be the case this time as I do not see this as a 8-7 game. You heard it here first, the winner will have at least a 14 point cushion when the horn sounds. It could be either tbh so lets see what 13 weeks of football has done for these two teams.
The biggest difference for Central I see know from game 1 is the Offensive line is playing a lot better and opening up some huge holes for the backs now. Central's defense pitched a shut out this past Friday and there first 2 drives they were marching but got halted by some questionable calls realistically those 2 drives would have been touchdown marches they were getting chunks of yardage. My only hope for this game Friday is that the same crew that was there for the Strasburg game does not get this one. If they do good luck to both as they will not let the game settle in for either team. There will be meetings after almost every play and flags thrown well after the play with teams in the huddle.

With all that being said these are the 2 I picked at the start of the season to be here in this game.

As for that concession stand discussion, how about Mountain View? I thought they were considered the best around here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT