ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads JVs Beat the Rain and the Blues

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Considering how nasty the weather has turned here in the later evening hours, fans of Riverheads and Parry McCluer were lucky earlier this evening to complete their JV game with just a little bit of a drizzle falling. The visiting Gladiators prevailed 22-0 in a quirky little game that in all fairness to the Blues was much closer than the score indicates.

Since I just mentioned "fairness," before I review the game itself I have to mention something that surprised and somewhat annoyed me tonight and a few other RHS fans expressed their displeasure about it as well. Some of you may consider this a nothing issue but we discovered tonight that Parry McCluer offers a senior citizen discount to their games. Sounds nice huh? But get this part.......it ONLY applies to fans of theirs. Any senior citizen who is not a Buena Vista resident pays full price.

I have to admit that in all my years of attending high school sports, this is the first time I can ever recall an admission policy where home fans (at least some of them) were charged a different price than visiting fans. You can agree or disagree, but I found it tacky at best and I wonder if the rest of the Pioneer does this and/or if the VHSL knows or approves. Senior citizen discounts at restaurants, etc. were invented to show respect for seniors and in this case, PM is making the statement that THEIR senior citizens deserve more respect than any others. Not cool in my opinion. OK, off my soap box and on to the game.

As the game began, the RHS coaching staff questioned something else and although it took until halftime, they finally won their argument. I am referring to the length of time a quarter is supposed to be. In this case, the first and second quarters were only 8 minutes. Riverheads has always been accustomed to 10, a point that the head coach made throughout the first half. He again brought up the subject to an official just before the second half kick-off and it worked, because the final two periods were each 10 minutes. You would think there would be a statewide standard for game minutes.

OK, to FINALLY get to the game..........due to the shortened time in the first half, the Blues almost completely controlled play. They ate up the ENTIRE first quarter in a drive that carried them into the red zone. So Riverheads did not even touch the ball until they intercepted a pass on the first play of the second quarter. But they turned it right back over on downs and PM controlled most of the rest of the half. Therefore a very quick first half that only took about 28 minutes to play ended in a scoreless tie.

Riverheads then ironically did almost exactly the same thing in the third quarter. Even with 10 minutes to work with, they controlled the ball for all but the final two seconds when they pushed across the first score of the game. The two point conversion failed, leaving the door open for a possible tying touchdown and potential winning conversion.

Instead of a Blues rally, the Gladiator defense dominated the fourth quarter as they blocked a punt to lead to one touchdown and intercepted a pass to lead to another. They converted both two point conversions to account for the final margin. So as mentioned above, the Blues have every right to say it was a close game for three quarters, which it was. Hopefully everyone made it home safely before the heavier part of the rain started. Also I sure hope that poor man with the Pennsylvania tags on 81 north FINALLY turned on his lights!

With the victory Riverheads is now 2-0 but they will have the week off next week because the RHS varsity travels to Lord Botetourt that Friday and there was no corresponding JV game scheduled. Riverheads' next JV game will therefore be on Wednesday the 15th, when they will host Stuarts Draft, two days before the varsity teams square off in the Cougar Den for the first of their two much-anticipated matches this season.

I think the 8 vs 10 minute rules have to do with age of athletes....I think if either team has 8th graders playing they are supposed to use 8 minute quarters; because some JV teams are 8-10. If both teams are made up of 9th and 10th grade players the 10 minute quarter rule is used.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Re: the senior discount - sometimes schools offer discounts via season passes which would naturally only appeal to the home fans. But this doesn’t sound like it’s the case. Were they seriously charging different prices at the gate depending on who you’re a fan of, or is there important information missing here?

Kind of odd about the clock for sure. I am pretty sure most teams in the area play at least a few 10th graders on their JV. Waynesboro for example had a ton of 10th graders that played JV then dressed and played some on Friday night last week. Not unusual in itself but the clock component is certainly something different.

WP02alum:

As you stood in line last night at the ticket booth, you could see that the sign posted said the admission was $6.00, but it was $4.00 for seniors (62 and over) and for students. There was some other lettering with it, but a person's natural response was to assume that if you were 62 or more, you would get the reduced rate.

So I had ones with me, and handed the lady $4.00 and said "one senior please." She of course didn't know me from Adam, so she said "Buena Vista senior?" and I truthfully replied No. So she said that it would be $6.00 and that her AD would get mad at her otherwise.

There was still a long line behind me so I did not want to take the time to engage her in any discussion about it, especially since the game had already started, so I think I said something like "well that doesn't sound very nice" and gave her the $6.00.

So yes, in the case of seniors, there was most definitely a different charge depending on who you were supporting. I suppose all adults between 18 and 62 were charged the same price but there was 100% for sure a difference in senior pricing.

This morning I have thought about this scenario........a PM player has all four grandparents living........one side lives in BV and the other side lives elsewhere and just happened to be in town this one night to see him play........I assume the out of town grandparents would pay the higher price and the local ones would pay the lower.

Definitely not a fair policy and the PM administration should re-evaluate it in my opinion.

Yeah not worth holding up the line and missing more of the game over $2, but on principle, that’s an absolutely terrible policy. Not even sure it’s legal.

I think the 8 vs 10 minute rules have to do with age of athletes....I think if either team has 8th graders playing they are supposed to use 8 minute quarters; because some JV teams are 8-10. If both teams are made up of 9th and 10th grade players the 10 minute quarter rule is used.
Has nothing to do with 8th grade vs 9th/10th. JV football has always been 10 min quarters. 8 min quarters are used in youth leagues

NFHS Football Rule Book, Rule 3, Section 4 (Starting and Stopping the Clock) will be used during all high school varsity games. High School: Quarters, 12 minutes, Half Time 20 minutes (See Note 2). Junior Varsity: Quarters, 10 or 12 minutes quarters, Half Time 8 or 10 minutes

Reactions: BGfootball95
This conversation just brought up a long, long forgotten memory.. around 2001-2002 or so I went with some friends to a PM-Riverheads basketball game at Riverheads while on leave. The Gladiators won the game. But to the point, my friends got a discount for being college students. I asked if active duty military got a discount and got turned down. A big whatever in which we all laughed at the time but think of it as paying for my discount some 20 years later. Thanks Longtimer :)

The strangest thing I've ever heard of happening regarding entry into a game was a story I was told from a friend back in BV. So I think in 2016(?) PM's JV football team showed up at Craig County for their scheduled game vs. the Rockets. However, Craig was playing JV as a club team that season and the Blues had to pay the entry $ fee for each player, coach and cheerleader to enter the premises. Once again, I cannot verify that story 100% (my friend had no reason to lie) but I'm sure someone from BV could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike777VSP
We all have our crazy stories we could tell, so I am glad I inspired you to re-live those memories.

I have learned today that PM's senior discount was designed to stimulate more interest in the community and generate more attendance and it was not intended in any way as disrespect for any other team.

Now that the rain is slacking up, let's focus our attention on this week's games and the excitement they will hopefully bring.

Reactions: mmqp 5.0
I was surprised to see that PM kept it so close vs. Rockbridge. I'm not expecting a repeat this week as the Gladiators are a different monster. Heck, a 22-0 loss in JV is a win in my mind. But I'm out of the loop so once again hoping someone there in BV can give a better analysis. Good luck to both squads and may there be no injuries; historically PM would come out of the game vs. Riverheads so beat up. The one-two punch of state contenders Gap and Riverheads always seemed to set the tone for the rest of the season for the Blues back in the mid-late 2000's.

Way back in the 70s when I played JV football the quarters were only 8 minutes in length, but then JV was just 8th and 9th graders. And at my high school, if you paid your class dues and presented your class membership card at a game you got a discount on admission

My bad if I misunderstood. OP was complaining about an unfairly applied senior citizen discount AT PMHS. Your question about RHS discounts seemed off-topic.

My bad if I misunderstood. OP was complaining about an unfairly applied senior citizen discount AT PMHS. Your question about RHS discounts seemed off-topic.
Yeah I was wondering if Riverheads gave a senior citizen discount. Original post said "PM is making the statement that THEIR senior citizens deserve more respect than any others. Not cool in my opinion." Even raised the question as to whether or not the VHSL knew about it. I personally think that it is a great gesture that PM thinks enough about their Senior Citizens (that pay City taxes) to offer a discount. Just wondered if Riverheads cared about their Senior Citizens or not.

Reactions: mmqp 5.0
Yeah so I was correct in my original assumption. You most definitely can’t charge different prices based on where someone lives. Five bucks says that policy will be changed within the year.

Does Riverheads offer a senior citizen discount?
They never will, but they only charge 5
Yeah I was wondering if Riverheads gave a senior citizen discount. Original post said "PM is making the statement that THEIR senior citizens deserve more respect than any others. Not cool in my opinion." Even raised the question as to whether or not the VHSL knew about it. I personally think that it is a great gesture that PM thinks enough about their Senior Citizens (that pay City taxes) to offer a discount. Just wondered if Riverheads cared about their Senior Citizens or not.
They prob will never give the senior citizens a discount, ask XCROSS, but least they are still only charging 5 bucks for now, prob go up when the new bleachers are finished

This is trolling to the max. A clown statement.
How is it trolling? He said PM didn't care about Riverheads Senior Citizens so I asked if Riverheads cared about their Senior Citizens. His statemanet not mine. Simple questions based off of the original post. I'm not sure the VHSL gets a cut of admission money until the playoffs.

How is it trolling? He said PM didn't care about Riverheads Senior Citizens so I asked if Riverheads cared about their Senior Citizens. His statemanet not mine. Simple questions based off of the original post. I'm not sure the VHSL gets a cut of admission money until the playoffs.
VHSL gets nothing until regionals.

Reactions: Coach Chop
I like to call out troll posts. Next time don’t be a troll. I’m certainly no Riverheads fan, so it was clearly an issue of the slimy principle of charging away fans more. PMHS AD should be embarrassed.

They need not pick on us old guys ! Riverheads has the most generous fans , staff and all whom are tied to the Football Program . Anyone in need of special attention for heath reasons or other will be taken care of regardless of what school they are from . This kindness even shows on the gridiron . They only win games by a small margin when it could be triple digits . ha ha just kidding ! Seriously it is a class act program all around . In the last 25 years I can't recall any thing at the gate or other wise that was distasteful . May both teams have an injury free contest . Go Big Red !!!!!

Reactions: WP02alum
I like to call out troll posts. Next time don’t be a troll. I’m certainly no Riverheads fan, so it was clearly an issue of the slimy principle of charging away fans more. PMHS AD should be embarrassed.
I mean, 95% or more of your posts are nothing more than condescension or gaslighting. Ididntgetbanned called you on this type of thing a while back.

Dont be the pot calling the kettle black here dude.

Reactions: Coach Chop
They need not pick on us old guys ! Riverheads has the most generous fans , staff and all whom are tied to the Football Program . Anyone in need of special attention for heath reasons or other will be taken care of regardless of what school they are from . This kindness even shows on the gridiron . They only win games by a small margin when it could be triple digits . ha ha just kidding ! Seriously it is a class act program all around . In the last 25 years I can't recall any thing at the gate or other wise that was distasteful . May both teams have an injury free contest . Go Big Red !!!!!
You dont know who happened to have their vehicle sideswiped during the game vs. Gap in '98 do ya? Parked up on the hill behind the end zone.. I might know who sideswiped it..

Trolls me and calls me a troll, Can't make this stuff up. LOL

I mean, 95% or more of your posts are nothing more than condescension or gaslighting. Ididntgetbanned called you on this type of thing a while back.

Dont be the pot calling the kettle black here dude.

If my words hurt you, I am very sorry. I try to be honest & friendly, but sometimes people irritate me. Usually dishonest people irritate me.

If my words hurt you, I am very sorry. I try to be honest & friendly, but sometimes people irritate me. Usually dishonest people irritate me.
I assure you I have never lost a second of sleep over anything you've written, so no need to feel bad about it.

Reactions: WP02alum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT