ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads Rally Falls Short at Bath

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
The Gladiators waited about half-a-quarter too late today to get into their rhythm as they finally caught fire midway through the final period and cut a 14 point lead down to five before falling 47-42. Even after Brett Hostetler's second triple of the day cut into the lead, the Gladiators stole the inbounds pass but just ran out of time before they could pull out the win. It was one of those "if we only had another minute" kind of games.

The Chargers won this one with a 10-0 spurt over the last half of the third quarter. RHS' Jalen Brown had connected on a triple to bring the Gladiators back into a 23-23 tie, but after that bucket, the turnover bug hit the Big Red and Bath moved ahead 33-23 by the end of the quarter. They then stretched that out to a 43-29 lead before the Big Red made their move over the final five minutes of the game.

In addition to that spirited comeback, there were other bright spots for the Gladiators that had to please Coach Coffey. For one thing, the Big Red matched their season-high total of seven three-pointers, courtesy of five different players. One of those was the aforementioned Mr. Brown, who had a nice floor game and added another bucket in addition to his triple. But the biggest surprise of the day for the Gladiators was the off-the-bench game of junior Jason Ham.

Ordinarily one of the last guys to enter the game, he first hit a triple late in the second quarter to bring RHS within one point at the break, and then hit another as part of the fourth-quarter rally. He ended up with nine points on the day, tripling his previous season high of three points. As the Gladiator coaching staff assesses where they are for the upcoming playoffs as well as next season, his and Brown's performances will certainly be duly noted. Hostetler led the Gladiators with 12 points and freshman Drew Bond was third in line behind Ham with a seven-point day.

I had not personally done any research at all on Bath prior to today's game, so I don't know if this was their first win (and therefore an upset) or if they were having a good year and expected to win this one. I might guess the former to be true, because they had the smallest home crowd I think I have ever seen at a basketball game. Riverheads travels reasonably well for a team that is struggling, and despite the distance factor, they literally outnumbered the Charger fans today. I would say it was about a 75-65 count, hardly enough of a gate to pay the refs and the electric bill for the day.

As for the JV game.....what a mess that was! I don't often discuss officiating, but these two today were so inconsistent that neither team could really show what they had to offer. Among the things we learned were that muggings are allowed but touch fouls are not, rolling on the floor with the ball is not considered traveling, two guys from the same team grabbing a rebound constitutes a jump ball, and on out of bounds plays, you are supposed to simply take a guess instead of actually bothering to watch.

There was one particular block/charge call that literally caused every jaw in the building to drop, but despite all that "professionalism", it did not directly impact the game as Riverheads prevailed 47-32 to move to 14-4 on the season. Some early fouls enabled the Baby Chargers to take a 9-6 lead but RHS went on a 16-0 scoring spurt to take control and coasted to the win. As has been the case for most of the season, the eighth-grade trio of Braeson Fulton, Grant Painter, and Elijah Dunlap led the way, as each connected on at least one three-pointer.

By the way, no complaints from this end with the varsity officiating crew. It was a night and day difference with very little controversy.

Next up for the Gladiators, weather-permitting, will be a Tuesday night make-up date at Parry McCluer. That game will be non-district and therefore will not impact anything with playoffs, at least not for RHS. However the Gladiator JVs might be looking forward to that one as much, if not more, than the varsity, since the Blues are the only team on their schedule that the Big Red has not yet beaten this season. Win or lose, Tuesday's game will be the season finale for the JVs, and you can bet that RHS fans cannot WAIT for such a talented group to grow up!

As for the varsity, no matter what happens at PM, the Gladiators will be hosting Stonewall Jackson Friday night in the opening round of the Conference 44 playoffs, with the winner earning a trip to Altavista the following Tuesday for the conference semi-finals.

I'm very surprised you guys lost to Bath. I think they only had 3 wins coming into this game.

Do you happen to know if the Daily News Leader follows VSDB and Highland's scores by any chance? I think Highland may have finally dropped out of the Pioneer and I'm trying to piece their schedule together.

The Leader used to cover the Pioneer just as thoroughly as they do the two districts in our local area. But they stopped a couple of years ago and when I asked about it, I was told that they felt they just did not have enough readers in that area to justify it. That is why I had no idea what kind of team or record they had. It did appear that we had as good or maybe a better team, but that dry spell did us in. Unfortunately we will not get to prove that point by a return game. The game between the two at Riverheads was snowed out and will not be re-scheduled.

As for Highland I am puzzled about them myself. They are considered a member of our conference but of course due to their size, they play very few sports. According to the programs we have gotten at the last couple of RHS games, their boys team has a 0.00 rating. At first I thought that meant that they simply did not HAVE a team but I think I heard that they will be making the trip to William Campbell (3rd seed) for a conference first-round game.

You can probably clear that up by telling us if they have played PM at all this year. So have they?

They haven't played PM, nor anyone else in the Pioneer from what I've seen. I think they dropped their district schedule finally. Which is incredible if you stop to think about how bad the Pioneer is in basketball anymore.

But Highland really is THAT bad. I said a year or two back they needed to step away from the Pioneer just to get some wins under their belts. They inexplicably dropped the VSDB, which is about the closest school to them with equal enrollment and I think even the private schools in the Augusta County area were holding them to 20 or so PPG for the last couple of seasons.

The Roanoke Times does an incredibly sloppy job of tracking them, as does Maxpreps of course. The Covington paper is silent on them and their own school website is helpless. From what I have collected, it appears Grace beat them by 30+ points twice, New Covenant out of Lynchburg beat them 65-18, Pendleton County beat them 57-12..they were supposed to play Stuart Hall twice, as well as Tygars Valley and Harman out of WV.

I forgot that they'd be staying in the East bracket. Not sure if you know it or not, but they no longer play baseball. Havent for at least 5 years now. However, they do have a soccer team...

They haven't played PM, nor anyone else in the Pioneer from what I've seen. I think they dropped their district schedule finally. Which is incredible if you stop to think about how bad the Pioneer is in basketball anymore.

But Highland really is THAT bad. I said a year or two back they needed to step away from the Pioneer just to get some wins under their belts. They inexplicably dropped the VSDB, which is about the closest school to them with equal enrollment and I think even the private schools in the Augusta County area were holding them to 20 or so PPG for the last couple of seasons.

The Roanoke Times does an incredibly sloppy job of tracking them, as does Maxpreps of course. The Covington paper is silent on them and their own school website is helpless. From what I have collected, it appears Grace beat them by 30+ points twice, New Covenant out of Lynchburg beat them 65-18, Pendleton County beat them 57-12..they were supposed to play Stuart Hall twice, as well as Tygars Valley and Harman out of WV.

I forgot that they'd be staying in the East bracket. Not sure if you know it or not, but they no longer play baseball. Havent for at least 5 years now. However, they do have a soccer team...
I heard that they were going to play the PM jv, weather prevented that from happening.

Have you tried the Highland Recorder? That's the newspaper over there.

I heard that they were going to play the PM jv, weather prevented that from happening.

I'm glad schools are taking my advice.. I always felt Highland would be well served to pick up a JV only schedule vs. the Pioneer and then play the VSDB, along with Harman, WVSD, and Paw Paw from West Virginia.

Now if I can get Rappahannock County to pick up the JV squads of Culpeper, Eastern View, and Warren County in football I'd be cooking with gas, ha!

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
PapaMoose, correct me if I'm wrong on this.. but I think PM's JV played Highland's Varsity last night and won. No report of a score but the Roanoke Times says PM "won" the JV game.

PapaMoose, correct me if I'm wrong on this.. but I think PM's JV played Highland's Varsity last night and won. No report of a score but the Roanoke Times says PM "won" the JV game.
I do not know about the JV playing; but the varsity played James River last night at the old high school; bomb threat at the new school. We lost by 15 or 20 points. I will be so glad when this season is over with all the crap happening at the school. The bosses at the school have no BACKBONE; starts at the TOP and goes on down. Those kids on the team deserved better.

Did you ever get the full story on what went down with the coaching situation?

Did you ever get the full story on what went down with the coaching situation?
No;;; but I understand that Keller and Keller alone made that decision. HOW can ONE man have that much power? Something needs to be changed if Keller has all of that power. It said in the Advocate that it was race connected. But how can a man be a racist on a sports team and not be the same in a classroom. I hear that a lot of other things are happening in and around that school.

I assume the AD was scared to death of a lawsuit and media blitz.

As I've said before, the mother and father and student involved in this are looking to play the race card any chance they can get. A quick glance at any of their facebook pages will prove this point.

Meanwhile I notice our wonderful mainstream media is failing to report a mother and daughter that were burned alive by a black guy up in Detroit earlier this week. A hate crime. But I have a feeling that any of the people I've mentioned above will not have a single word to say about that...it makes their ingrained sense of victimization look just that much more ignorant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith_Stone33
I assume the AD was scared to death of a lawsuit and media blitz.

As I've said before, the mother and father and student involved in this are looking to play the race card any chance they can get. A quick glance at any of their facebook pages will prove this point.

Meanwhile I notice our wonderful mainstream media is failing to report a mother and daughter that were burned alive by a black guy up in Detroit earlier this week. A hate crime. But I have a feeling that any of the people I've mentioned above will not have a single word to say about that...it makes their ingrained sense of victimization look just that much more ignorant.
I never thought that I would say this; but I wish that my daughter would send my grandsons to some other school. Get them away from PM.

As sad as it sounds I'm not even sure which conference they're in anymore. I know the girls are still playing and looking pretty good apparently. They play Eastside from deep SWVA Tuesday night at PM. If they win that one they'll probably play Fort Chiswell, who I think is undefeated.

Let me apologize to longtimer for yet AGAIN threadjacking this..

So the same Superintendent that buckled under the pressure of a mediocore basketball player crying racism has now decided to show a very talented young girls basketball coach (and PM alumni at that..) the door.

Adam Gilbert who made the Girls team relevant for the first time in, well, the history of the school was terminated Tuesday because of an obscure rule that states something apparently gives coaching preference for coaching slots to current employees of the school division..what a joke! If they're going to enforce this on him..will they enforce this with the other coaches stated in this article? http://thenews-gazette.com/index.ph...ard-meeting&catid=77:breaking-news&Itemid=395

Wonder when Keeler will discuss how he's been banging the school principal? Yea

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT