ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Nugget Road to Stardom Mark Williams

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Norfolk Academy sophomore Mark Williams is one of the rising stars in the state of Virginia and he is on the fast track to earning a D1 basketball scholarship. He is already ranked as a 4-star prospect and the 39th player in the 2020 class by Rivals.Com.

I watched Williams in a TCIS conference game in January and saw him dominate at both ends of the floor finishing with 25 points, 11 rebounds and three assists. He did not have any block shots but he altered at-least four attempts inside.

Most recently, Williams received offers from Georgetown and LSU to go along with previous offers from Virginia, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State, Old Dominion and VCU. He is receiving plenty of interests as well from ACC schools and he wants to work on improving his game. Williams said he just went to Duke a couple of weeks ago and he went to North Carolina during the football season and watched a game.

"I just try to be dominant inside on both ends of the floor, scoring the ball and looking for my teammates," Williams said. "I want to keep getting stronger and continue to work on guarding perimeter players. Sometimes I rely on my height too much when rebounding. Sometimes it works but sometimes when it's a long rebound, I wont get the rebound if I don't box out."

Opponents may be surprised at Williams passing ability and ball skills. Several times he was tasked with bringing the ball up the court and having the offense run through him. He consistently made the right play even with the over-the top focus of the defense.

"I think some teams are a little bit surprised," Williams said about his wing skills. "But Coach does a great job of keeping me in the right places and giving me the ball in the right spots. As a team we need to continue to dig down on defense, keep moving the ball, and take pride in what we specialize in."

Williams is already familiar with the recruiting framework as his sister Elizabeth was the Gatorade Player of the Year while attending Princess Anne High School in Virginia Beach. She went on to star at Duke University and she currently plays professional basketball in the WNBA. Williams said he is not under any pressure to follow in his big sister steps.

"I'm proud of what she did (at Duke) but it's more of my decision and what fits best for me," Williams said. "I'm looking for a great academic school and athletic school where I feel the most comfortable. My sister has helped me. Whenever I have a question, she's the first one I ask since she has been thru it already."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News