ADVERTISEMENT

Rural eastern Virginia softball

NND Sports Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 1, 2002
I can't comprehend just how awful it has become. Rappahannock, which is easily the class of Region 1A, won a game yesterday 30-0. Other scores I've seen from among teams in either the NND, Tidewater, Eastern Shore, and Tri Rivers districts include 22-4, 27-7, 21-0, 20-1, 23-0 21-3. In one of those instances a team that got whipped put a whipping on a team worse than it is!! I feel for Rappahannock come state tournament time. Hopefully they can overcome this lack of competition.

What are the feeder programs like in that area? I know that area and city that I live in, girls do not have a chance to participate in softball until 8th grade when they can tryout for JV. It is very difficult to build a team and program with 10 or 12 girls never having played before and trying to develop a pitcher. There will be a few girls that join travel teams closer to the area, but the city does not offer softball within the rec leagues due to a lack of interest over the years.

What are the feeder programs like in that area? I know that area and city that I live in, girls do not have a chance to participate in softball until 8th grade when they can tryout for JV. It is very difficult to build a team and program with 10 or 12 girls never having played before and trying to develop a pitcher. There will be a few girls that join travel teams closer to the area, but the city does not offer softball within the rec leagues due to a lack of interest over the years.

Around the area most Northern neck district schools have middle school teams 6-8. Surprisingly Rappahannock and Essex are the only schools that doesn’t. Also little league softball is offered in all the counties. Their is also a handful of travel teams around the area too. Honestly I think it’s probably just a rough patch due to lack of interest. I know one team in particular that has 3 or 4 girls who have played travel, little league and up. But the rest of the team seems to just be picking the sport up for the first time. And most of the other teams are in the same boat.

There are about 3 or 4 schools that were unable to field JV softball teams. Heck, Westmoreland didn't have a JV baseball team. And in the biggest suprirse of all Northampton did not field a varsity baseball team this spring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT