ADVERTISEMENT

Something new from Freedom-Potomac game

otnorot

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 31, 2006
Never seen this before...

The game featured a number of twists and turns, especially late in the first half when Freedom head coach Darryl Overton was ejected with 5:32 left in the second quarter for what he said were two unsportsmanlike penalties assessed to two of his players for uniform violations.

The first violation was in the first quarter for a player wearing a tinted visor instead of a clear visor attached to the player's helmet. The other violation took place in the second quarter for a player not wearing a knee pad.

Overton said he was ejected since as the head coach he is ultimately responsible for his players being outfitted correctly in their uniforms and helmets.

Freedom beats Potomac to claim third straight Route 1 Rumble trophy

Ejection for two uniform violations? Seems a bit harsh to me, but perhaps there is more to it or maybe the coaching staff argued just a bit too much. Either way, I am not sure that warrants an ejection of the head coach.

Ejection for two uniform violations? Seems a bit harsh to me, but perhaps there is more to it or maybe the coaching staff argued just a bit too much. Either way, I am not sure that warrants an ejection of the head coach.
No argument from head coach kid had on visit and other missing 1knee pad coach didn’t argue at all people didn’t even know he was ejected

The Rule applies to the Coach just as it would to a player. Just So Happens Coach is the responsible party in this instance.

By rule, if a coach gets two unsportsmanlike penalties, he must be ejected.

By rule, there are three types of equipment violations:
1) Failure to properly wear required equipment
2) Failure to wear or use legal and/or required equipment, and
3) Wearing illegal equipment.

The 1st violation occurs when the required equipment is present, but is not worn properly and is a 5 yard penalty charged to the player - chinstrap unbuttoned or mouthpiece not in are the most common of these.

However, the second two violations are unsportsmanlike conduct and are charged to the HC. Based on the above explanation the HC got his first unsportsmanlike due to the tinted visor (violation 3 above) and then got a second unsportsmanlike for the missing knee pad (violation 2 above). Since the HC had two "unsportsmanlike" penalties, he had to be ejected.

Personally, I think the second two violations should be charged to the player instead of the HC, but I guess the rule is the way it is to get the HC involved in ensuring his players are properly equipped?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT