ADVERTISEMENT

South County vs Oscar Smith

SoCo vs Smith

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Repeat of 2019 matchup in Hampton. Different outcome???
I feel like had Oscar Smith capitalized on field position etc. it would've been a different outcome. Smith should have won it in 2019, or had every opportunity to win. But we will see, Oscar Smith 21 South Co. 20. The speed and vertical talent at Smith puts South Co. in unfavorable 1 on 1 matchups in the secondary.

I feel like had Oscar Smith capitalized on field position etc. it would've been a different outcome. Smith should have won it in 2019, or had every opportunity to win. But we will see, Oscar Smith 21 South Co. 20. The speed and vertical talent at Smith puts South Co. in unfavorable 1 on 1 matchups in the secondary.
That is a very polite way of saying how I felt after that game. I watched a replay on NFHS Network & came away with the same impression.

This year, they are more balanced on offense and the defense is better.

That is a very polite way of saying how I felt after that game. I watched a replay on NFHS Network & came away with the same impression.

This year, they are more balanced on offense and the defense is better.
But Smith still needs to stop with the penalties. If they clean things up I don't see it being too close. If they persist with the mistakes, it very well could be.

But Smith still needs to stop with the penalties. If they clean things up I don't see it being too close. If they persist with the mistakes, it very well could be.
Exactly what I mean, execute, cut penalties and don't turn the ball over

Reactions: SPL311U
I know this sounds strange but in these big games, Coach Scott calls a more conservative game. He wasn't trying to push the ball down field in the spread vs Massaponax. The bomb came from the Panthers making an adjustment to our run game.

I'm not gonna question his play calling but there's definitely more in Smith's playbook than what they showed Saturday.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
I know this sounds strange but in these big games, Coach Scott calls a more conservative game. He wasn't trying to push the ball down field in the spread vs Massaponax. The bomb came from the Panthers making an adjustment to our run game.

I'm not gonna question his play calling but there's definitely more in Smith's playbook than what they showed Saturday.
The concept of the James Madison game plan was effective... and it gave the Warhawks a chance to win at the end (independent of all the other conversations about stuff in the game)

Bottom line -- control the clock, run the ball, right - at - them. Pass to keep SoCo off guard. Wash, rinse, repeat. (if Madison could do it, there is absolutely no reason why Oscar Smith can't do it even more effectively either.)

NOTE: CalPreps has this game 38-17 Oscar Smith.

Last edited:
It looked like Robinson had them on the ropes, too. There are rumors that SC got away with 12 men on the field for at least one of those late-game goal-line plays. I tried reviewing that game on their YouTube channel but it's conveniently missing this week. I am sure their Coach would prefer it not be available.

Anyway, it's just a couple of hours from game time. Put up or shut up. Let's see if Smith can eliminate their mistakes. Social media posts from the Stallions suggest that they're counting on them to beat Smith.

Based on Coach Scott's record, it sounds like their best hope. Unfortunately, the teams he coaches do provide his opponents too many opportunities in that regard!!

28-7 Oscar Smith with 3:20 left in 1st quarter

Whoa ! ! !

Smith cutting thru the SoCo defense like butter...

Miska had 5-6 interceptions. Spalding's long TD was due to the DB slipping & falling.

62 - 21 Smith wins their 3rd State Championship in dominant fashion

• Wow
2021 Virginia Spring Football Champions
@OscarSmithFB
@SalemSpartans
@ACHS_Raiders
@StoneBridgeFB
@VaPrepsRivals
@LHSRamFootball
E0WHNIyXIAA0hOw

Kind of a bizarre article from the Washington Post about our South County Game! I don't understand the motivation for writing a couple of lines in this article!!! On this message board, if there is one thing that is frowned upon, it's trolling on the kids who work so hard to be part their team!

Read this & see if anyone has the same impression of it?

South County football can’t keep up with Oscar Smith in Class 6 championship game rematch

By Michael Errigo

May 1, 2021 at 6:32 p.m. EDT
CHESAPEAKE, VA — It can be hard for football players to put themselves in their opponents’ shoes. They scout, study and plan for a team, but they can never truly understand their foes until the game begins.

The South County Stallions had been hungry to play Saturday’s Virginia Class 6 championship game for a long time. This was their ultimate goal for well over a year. Through an extended off season, through nine games of buildup, through a three-hour bus ride south, they eagerly awaited a chance to defend the state title they won in December 2019.

It was hard to imagine their opponent would not only match that desire but blow it away.

Oscar Smith, a longtime power here in the southern half of the state, was on the losing end of that Stallions victory in 2019. The Tigers also spent the past 17 months dying to play this game. And from the opening whistle Saturday, they showed just how much by steamrolling the Stallions, 62-21.

“They wanted it more,” Stallions senior safety Samuel Dankah said. “And that’s what football comes down to. That’s what it’s all about, play after play. Who wants it? And they did.”

The loss snaps a 24-game winning streak the Stallions had been building since the beginning of last season. The 62 points tied for the most the 16-year-old program has allowed.

While last season’s championship game, a gritty 14-13 win for South County, was a tight defensive battle, Saturday’s contest quickly became a sprawling shootout. Playing in front of a limited home crowd boosted by additional fans sitting just outside the stadium’s fence line, the Tigers came out firing. They didn’t blink when South County scored on a 71-yard pass on its first possession. Instead, they put up 28 points in the first eight minutes of the first quarter.

The Stallions’ defense seemed unable to get off the field, and quarterback Charlie Miska’s early turnover troubles persisted. The Tigers’ defense had five interceptions, and their offense scored nine touchdowns. Oscar Smith senior quarterback Ethan Vasko, who struggled against the Stallions in 2019, rushed for three touchdowns and passed for two.

“There wasn’t a whole lot different from [last year] in terms of our approach and how we prepared and what we expected to see,” said Tynan Rolander, who took over as South County’s coach this season after serving as an assistant. ”And we got every bit of what we expected to see from them. … But the preparation going into this game was as good as we could have gotten given the circumstances.”

Any and all momentum built by the Stallions (9-1), mostly on two touchdown catches by senior Dillon Dunn, was quickly quashed by the Tigers (9-0). They were always ready to answer, always ready to gash the defense with another big play.

After Oscar Smith pushed its lead back up to three touchdowns in the second quarter, South County linebacker Dorian Mitchell came off the field and threw his helmet down. Mitchell, the hero of last week’s semifinal with a game-clinching interception, collapsed to the grass near the 10-yard line in frustration. He lay there until the referee told him to get up and rejoin his team inside the allotted sideline area.

It’s tough,” Rolander said. “But to be able to play in this game given the circumstances we were in was a blessing. Just being able to come down here … means we had a hell of a season.”

Last edited:
Sorry about the yellow text. I use a dark background!

Trolling some kid on a message board from an adult is bad but to do that in a Washington Post article rubs me wrong! We would fully understand the player's frustration when he threw his helmet down. Everything else he wrote was just embarrassing a high school kid & just not necessary! Those of us at the game thought there had been an injury on the field & didn't see it.

757, I don't see it as trolling. I see it as an attempt by the writer to show the emotion, frustration, heart, effort, etc, that all of these kids put into their team and that they get from reaching and playing in a state final game and how much it means to them. Given that the player was "the hero" last year, then experiences such frustration when things do not go well this year shows the extreme highs and lows and lets the reader get a feeling for that emotion even if they were not at the game.

I see that side of it but how would you feel as a student, that this s in the Washington Post!!?? If this was written about my child I'd be in touch with the paper. As a Coach, this writer wouldn't be allowed around my kids.

There just isn't the need for it.. IMHO. I understood everything with the thrown helmet. BTW, I don't think there was a penalty for that either. But I'll watch the game again check it out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT