ADVERTISEMENT

Southside 757 Top Seniors

VaPilot report on "Southside" 757. Top Senior Football Players. These are the teams around Suffolk, Portsmouth, Norfolk, Chesapeake and VaBeach.

There ARE definitely some kids on this list that should be ranked high just based on game video highlights but as the article notes, other factors are considered for these rankings.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/high...8f4c5f8acb.html#click=https://t.co/lK17sePmIL

A whole lot of Tigers on that list Sir! Let us know how that Phoebus scrimmage went when you get a sec.

A whole lot of Tigers on that list Sir! Let us know how that Phoebus scrimmage went when you get a sec.
Phoebus has some great Athletes but Frankly speaking, I haven't seen a more dominant O. Smith team in quite a few years. It was 21-0 midway through the 2nd quarter. Smith's OL/DL dominated which allowed for methodical run drives for the 1st 2 drives.

Db interception for a 37 run back was their last score. Afterwards, Smith put #2's in on defense for the remainder of the game. That allowed the Phoebus QB more time in their passing game but most of the big gains occurred via their QB scrambling for big yards.

It's likely a tough game to judge as a poor game for Phoebus. They did have a really good blitz package which did get to our QB 3-4 times. And the only effective part of Smith's passing was due to their shorter plays.

Phoebus has some great Athletes but Frankly speaking, I haven't seen a more dominant O. Smith team in quite a few years. It was 21-0 midway through the 2nd quarter. Smith's OL/DL dominated which allowed for methodical run drives for the 1st 2 drives.

Db interception for a 37 run back was their last score. Afterwards, Smith put #2's in on defense for the remainder of the game. That allowed the Phoebus QB more time in their passing game but most of the big gains occurred via their QB scrambling for big yards.

It's likely a tough game to judge as a poor game for Phoebus. They did have a really good blitz package which did get to our QB 3-4 times. And the only effective part of Smith's passing was due to their shorter plays.

This was a very nice and mild way of putting it. Smith is going to be dominate yet again this year. Phoebus is just simply a shell of what the program used to be. I can truly see that Smith has been getting after it all off season. I was very impressed with how easy they made the simple plays look. The Tigers really didn't have to dig too far into their playbook yesterday. Conditioning was a staple in the Phoebus program for years. I can honestly say that those coaches aren't preparing these kids at all during the off season outside of 7 on 7 competition. I was sick to my stomach watching how much that Phoebus O and D lines has fallen off. As the Head Coach Jeremy Blunt and that coaching staff as a whole should be ashamed and embarrassed by that display on yesterday. Yes, this was only a scrimmage and I don't blame the kids as much because the coaches should have done a much better job of mentally preparing those lineman to show some type of effort. Phoebus entire sideline looked scared I didn't expect Phoebus to beat up on Smith, but to just compete and give the Tigers some type of workout especially up front. That was ridiculous! I really don't see Phoebus getting past the first round of the Class 3 playoffs this year. I do see the Tigers as being a real threat once again to win another state title. They are going to be tough to beat!

This was a very nice and mild way of putting it. Smith is going to be dominate yet again this year. Phoebus is just simply a shell of what the program used to be. I can truly see that Smith has been getting after it all off season. I was very impressed with how easy they made the simple plays look. The Tigers really didn't have to dig too far into their playbook yesterday. Conditioning was a staple in the Phoebus program for years. I can honestly say that those coaches aren't preparing these kids at all during the off season outside of 7 on 7 competition. I was sick to my stomach watching how much that Phoebus O and D lines has fallen off. As the Head Coach Jeremy Blunt and that coaching staff as a whole should be ashamed and embarrassed by that display on yesterday. Yes, this was only a scrimmage and I don't blame the kids as much because the coaches should have done a much better job of mentally preparing those lineman to show some type of effort. Phoebus entire sideline looked scared I didn't expect Phoebus to beat up on Smith, but to just compete and give the Tigers some type of workout especially up front. That was ridiculous! I really don't see Phoebus getting past the first round of the Class 3 playoffs this year. I do see the Tigers as being a real threat once again to win another state title. They are going to be tough to beat!

Man I hate hearing that! Seems surreal that Phoebus can't "get that old thing back." Football was better when they were a real threat. I wish them luck in class 3 this year.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Man I hate hearing that! Seems surreal that Phoebus can't "get that old thing back." Football was better when they were a real threat. I wish them luck in class 3 this year.

It hurts my heart to see the program that Bill Dee built into the power it once was be sabotaged by an egotistical coach that was a former player for Dee but didn't want to continue the program the way Dee and that staff left it. Year in and year out Phoebus is one of the most talented teams in the state but because Blunt allowed Carson Cutler to try to transform Phoebus into high school version of the Oregon Ducks they waste season after season. Dee and Stan Sexton left the keys of a Maserati in the ignition for Blunt to drive. All Blunt had to do was humble himself and follow the blueprint that was handed to him. But I guess Blunt prefers driving a Hyundai Accent over a Maserati. Get those big boys in the weight room and pour some intestinal fortitude into them so that those skilled athletes can operate. Phoebus should not pass the ball more than 8 times a game with the talent they have at running back this year. The running game will eventually open the pass but I forgot, that makes too much logical sense. Each year that coaching staff gets more and more exposed for their incompetence.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree with you more. Seeing the talent but not having the pieces in place to utilize it properly is frustrating to watch.

On the other hand, I do think the OL/ DL play by Smith yesterday was spectacular. I doubt the Phantoms will see another team like them. Hopefully those kids will learn from the scrimmage and push themselves through out the year to get better. I know that those early top nationally ranked opponents helped improve the Smith teams each year.

It hurts my heart to see the program that Bill Dee built into the power it once was be sabotaged by an egotistical coach that was a former player for Dee but didn't want to continue the program the way Dee and that staff left it. Year in and year out Phoebus is one of the most talented teams in the state but because Blunt allowed Carson Cutler to try to transform Phoebus into high school version of the Oregon Ducks they waste season after season. Dee and Stan Sexton left the keys of a Maserati in the ignition for Blunt to drive. All Blunt had to do was humble himself and follow the blueprint that was handed to him. But I guess Blunt prefers driving a Hyundai Accent over a Maserati. Get those big boys in the weight room and pour some intestinal fortitude into them so that those skilled athletes can operate. Phoebus should not pass the ball more than 8 times a game with the talent they have at running back this year. The running game will eventually open the pass but I forgot, that makes too much logical since. Each year that coaching staff gets more and more exposed for their incompetence.

Bigger question is what has happened to football on the Peninsula as a whole? That used to be the strongest in the state far and away? Any logic behind it?

It hurts my heart to see the program that Bill Dee built into the power it once was be sabotaged by an egotistical coach that was a former player for Dee but didn't want to continue the program the way Dee and that staff left it. Year in and year out Phoebus is one of the most talented teams in the state but because Blunt allowed Carson Cutler to try to transform Phoebus into high school version of the Oregon Ducks they waste season after season. Dee and Stan Sexton left the keys of a Maserati in the ignition for Blunt to drive. All Blunt had to do was humble himself and follow the blueprint that was handed to him. But I guess Blunt prefers driving a Hyundai Accent over a Maserati. Get those big boys in the weight room and pour some intestinal fortitude into them so that those skilled athletes can operate. Phoebus should not pass the ball more than 8 times a game with the talent they have at running back this year. The running game will eventually open the pass but I forgot, that makes too much logical since. Each year that coaching staff gets more and more exposed for their incompetence.
Damn! I caught some feelings just reading this, because I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Dee when he worked at ODU. I'm not sure if it's as bad as you make it out to be, but I agree on some points, and have for a few years. I have felt that Phoebus has the kind of players that should allow them to run whatever they want, but they definitely haven't had the physicality or "want to" of the past. Personally I love a potent running game, and that indeed has been the main drop-off for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CavsGrad
Bigger question is what has happened to football on the Peninsula as a whole? That used to be the strongest in the state far and away? Any logic behind it?

Truth is, the PD has been down for quite some time now compared to past years. The kids in the PD has been getting smaller and softer year after year. Sorry, but you want the truth. Many PD programs have had the admin staff and parents to become too much involved with how the programs should operate strategically. Outside of Danny Dotson of Woodside and George "Chubbs" Massenburg of Heritage, the coaching has been lackluster and yes, this includes Coach Mike Smith only because he's has gone well past his prime. I think Jeremy Blunt has potential if he'd allow himself to become another product of the Bill Dee coaching tree. He started at linebacker on Phoebus' first state championship team for goodness sake. The kids are also responsible. Most (not all) kids are not dedicating themselves inside the weight room and using a healthy diet regimen to get bigger and stronger. Kecoughtan, Gloucester, and Woodside are probably the only exception when it comes to size and dedication. Phoebus and Hampton usually wins the PD every year because they simply have more overall talent than the the others. However when they run across a physical team in the playoffs they have struggled. MOST PD kids are not dedicated to going 110% during conditioning season inside the weight room and it's been showing. The coaches have allowed the kids to become to fixated on college offers than what it takes to win as a team and allow the championships to bolster their offers even more. State Championships are no longer the selling point and priority in the PD and some of the coaches aren't stressing this enough. Just being honest.

Damn! I caught some feelings just reading this, because I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Dee when he worked at ODU. I'm not sure if it's as bad as you make it out to be, but I agree on some points, and have for a few years. I have felt that Phoebus has the kind of players that should allow them to run whatever they want, but they definitely haven't had the physicality or "want to" of the past. Personally I love a potent running game, and that indeed has been the main drop-off for them.

Yeah. alot of my frustration is my personal feelings and opinions from what I observed. I see Phoebus running through the PD once again this year because they are more talented than the other teams in the district. However when those teams from out west or even Hopewell in the east come to town that's when the lack of intensity shows up when teams that are more physical that can limit Phoebus' skilled athletes. That hurts me to say "when teams are more physical than Phoebus" because that was just unheard of in the past. It may not be as bad as it seems to you because you are maybe looking at it from a different POV. However, I've followed Phoebus since 1988 and watched Bill Dee completely transform that program into the most dominate program in the state for many years. Those are the standards that I am going by. It would be understandable if Phoebus had hired an outside coach that wanted to build the program into his own vision but Coach Blunt played for Dee and I see absolutely no resemblance of the product that Coach Dee would put out on the field. At least Coach Dee and Coach Johnson incorporated some things from what Rich Morgan left behind at Oscar Smith. I believe Dee just took what Morgan left behind and made the Tigers a bit more physical and more balanced while Morgan was a bit more on the finesse and speed side of things while utilizing his great skill players. It's as if Coach Blunt never attended Phoebus or even heard of Bill Dee. That's how bad it has gotten. Even if they run table and finish 10-0 for the regular season, it's really hard to watch Phoebus. Lastly, OC Carson Cutler has been a cancer to that program since he arrived. He is the main reason why Phoebus' offenses has struggled recently. All he cares about is the QB position and 7 on 7s. He is horrible. I wouldn't let him into the stadium at a Pop Warner game.

Yeah. alot of my frustration is my personal feelings and opinions from what I observed. I see Phoebus running through the PD once again this year because they are more talented than the other teams in the district. However when those teams from out west or even Hopewell in the east come to town that's when the lack of intensity shows up when teams that are more physical that can limit Phoebus' skilled athletes. That hurts me to say "when teams are more physical than Phoebus" because that was just unheard of in the past. It may not be as bad as it seems to you because you are maybe looking at it from a different POV. However, I've followed Phoebus since 1988 and watched Bill Dee completely transform that program into the most dominate program in the state for many years. Those are the standards that I am going by. It would be understandable if Phoebus had hired an outside coach that wanted to build the program into his own vision but Coach Blunt played for Dee and I see absolutely no resemblance of the product that Coach Dee would put out on the field. At least Coach Dee and Coach Johnson incorporated some things from what Rich Morgan left behind at Oscar Smith. I believe Dee just took what Morgan left behind and made the Tigers a bit more physical and more balanced while Morgan was a bit more on the finesse and speed side of things while utilizing his great skill players. It's as if Coach Blunt never attended Phoebus or even heard of Bill Dee. That's how bad it has gotten. Even if they run table and finish 10-0 for the regular season, it's really hard to watch Phoebus. Lastly, OC Carson Cutler has been a cancer to that program since he arrived. He is the main reason why Phoebus' offenses has struggled recently. All he cares about is the QB position and 7 on 7s. He is horrible. I wouldn't let him into the stadium at a Pop Warner game.
From my outside prospective, I agree with nearly everything you've said, I just can't really comment on Coach Blunt and his staff. I remember following the midseason transition from Coach Sexton to Blunt and thinking the program would be fine. I had my doubts after seeing LT finally get past them in such dominating fashion. To add to my confusion, they then started the next season by giving a deeper and overall more talented Dematha team all they could handle. Watching Phoebus and the PD as a whole has been confusing for the past few years, because from as far as I can remember, the PD was known for setting the standards for physicality in the 757. I'm glad to hear your perspective. I was wondering if kids were moving across the water to play for Southside teams.

Don't get me wrong, I will always support Phantom Nation but I am not blind to the fact that there has been a huge decline since 2012. My previous posts weren't meant to be a personal attack on Coach Blunt or any others but I was only stating what I observed over the years. Now Coach Cutler seems like a decent person but he was a just a poor fit at Phoebus. I do retract some of the things that I quoted earlier because again I was in my raw feelings at the time of those posts and it does bother me when I've been so accustomed to seeing an elite, physical brand of football being played for so many years. It's almost like watching the state of Nebraska Cornhusker football after Tom Osbourne retired. However, I wish nothing but the best for Phoebus football in 2018 and a well as Oscar Smith in 2018.

Don't get me wrong, I will always support Phantom Nation but I am not blind to the fact that there has been a huge decline since 2012. My previous posts weren't meant to be a personal attack on Coach Blunt or any others but I was only stating what I observed over the years. Now Coach Cutler seems like a decent person but he was a just a poor fit at Phoebus. I do retract some of the things that I quoted earlier because again I was in my raw feelings at the time of those posts and it does bother me when I've been so accustomed to seeing an elite, physical brand of football being played for so many years. It's almost like watching the state of Nebraska Cornhusker football after Tom Osbourne retired. However, I wish nothing but the best for Phoebus football in 2018 and a well as Oscar Smith in 2018.

You just sounded frustrated, not destructive. Good luck to Phoebus. A lot of talent still down there. Eventually, they’ll be back amongst the elite! They may be amongst the elite in 3a this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT