ADVERTISEMENT

SPOTSY GETS COLEMAN

Apr 18, 2015
Scources indicate Spotsylvania High School has coach Al Johnson and is on the right track to success because they hired Coach Tim Coleman who lead SHS to championships in the late 90's. He is hired to help install the wing T offense for Coach Johnson at SHS. Coach Coleman previously coached a Colonial Forge and most recently was at Fredericksburg Christian where he won the Division III Virginia private school State Championship in 2014. This is a game changer for Spotsy, they stuck it out to get the Coach and now they need to do the same to get the player. Zin White is wanted by plenty schools and is talking to coaches at Courtland and Riverbend high school yet is zoned for SHS, if the school messes this up and doesn't make sure to get the player they might need to be successful to be compatible with the hall of fame coach they need to act fast.

Hired Coleman? Schools recruiting an 8th grader? The only facts I have here is that Courtland does not recruit and Freshmen don't play Varsity. Period. Plus, Coleman turned down the $3200 to be Head Coach and has already volunteered to install the Wing-T without compensation based on his loyalty, history and desire to make Spotsy relevant again. That's common knowledge that even the FLS confirms.

no disrespect but this seems a lot like pre-season optimism.

Last edited:
It is extreme optimism but what else do we have? Riverbend has always recruited kids, everyone knows that this is nothing new. And no Courtland is not Riverbend when it comes to that but they have recruited the SMS kid and the tall Skinner kid also, maybe their vision is varsity for them, unlikely but who knows

It is extreme optimism but what else do we have? Riverbend has always recruited kids, everyone knows that this is nothing new. And no Courtland is not Riverbend when it comes to that but they have recruited the SMS kid and the tall Skinner kid also, maybe their vision is varsity for them, unlikely but who knows

I don't know if Riverbend recruits and have no proof of that. Courtland does not recruit. If the SMS kids have spoken to any of the Coach's, it's because the kids came to them and not the other way around. If they want to be be Cougars, they'll have to move into the area. If you think Coach's have contacted players, simply call the Courtland HS Principle. By rule, he is then obliged to investigate and inform the VHSL. Proof would be nice to get the ball rolling. Call and e-mail records are easily available to the school.

Again, freshmen don't play Varsity for JC Hall, no matter how talented. It's one of the foundations of the program and there has never been an exception during that tenure, even with their current crop of DI's. Lastly, we're talking 8th Graders here. Courtland won't take the chance of being penalized by the VHSL over a Middle School kid whose potential is so questionable. The idea this is actually happening is just silly.

I think Coleman's help will be invaluable to Spotsy's new offense. I'd like to see them as a tough out in the Battlefield rather than the team everyone wants to play for Home Coming. That, I can be optimistic for. GL to the Knights in 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Again, freshmen don't play Varsity for JC Hall, no matter how talented. It's one of the foundations of the program and there has never been an exception during that tenure, even with their current crop of DI's.

What kind of prehistoric thinking is this? So if I'm varsity ready I can't play as a freshman at Courtland because it's not the Courtland way? I'm sorry but at LT if you are a player in the program and a freshman and you are at the same level as a kid that is an soph jr or sr we are going to play the freshman. Just makes logical sense.

What kind of prehistoric thinking is this? So if I'm varsity ready I can't play as a freshman at Courtland because it's not the Courtland way? I'm sorry but at LT if you are a player in the program and a freshman and you are at the same level as a kid that is an soph jr or sr we are going to play the freshman. Just makes logical sense.

We have differing Coaching philosophies but that's OK. You're entitled to your opinion. Courtland's focus is on developing smart, educated young men. Then they make ball players and bringing them along slowly during their most difficult year in HS is their chosen way. Even on practice days, during the regular season, the 1st hour after School is Study Hall so they can work on their classroom assignments. Not Football. State Championships are fine for LT and the results say they're quite good at it. Courtland makes good men and the results say they're quite good at it. For me, winning or losing a game doesn't matter. It's about how you play the game. A lot of people don't agree with that. Understood.

Last edited:
I'm not on here to call out high school kids, but to believe Courtland doesn't recruit is following along blindly. Courtland has had tons of kids the last few years zoned in the Chancellor District but end up at Smith Station Road.
Ok then. Call or e-mail Courtland's Principle and provide a name. He is obliged by VHSL rule to investigate, notify the VHSL and follow up with a detailed report. No skin off your nose, it will only take a few minutes of your time and you get the satisfaction of having done the right thing. Cheaters shouldn't prosper. I really mean that and would be ashamed if that were the case for my team. Now put up or shut up Gladiator.

FYI. Despite all the accusations of recruiting on this board I have seen over the many years I've been here, I cannot recall any time the VHSL has ruled anyone in violation. Why is that?

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
courtland and JM DON'T RECRUIT. I know both Serbay and Hall all my life and even though they don't discourage a transfer they sure don't beat the bushes trying to find players to entice them in their programs. so put that rumor to rest also as it just aint so I promise![/QUOTE]
Scources indicate Spotsylvania High School has coach Al Johnson and is on the right track to success because they hired Coach Tim Coleman who lead SHS to championships in the late 90's. He is hired to help install the wing T offense for Coach Johnson at SHS. Coach Coleman previously coached a Colonial Forge and most recently was at Fredericksburg Christian where he won the Division III Virginia private school State Championship in 2014. This is a game changer for Spotsy, they stuck it out to get the Coach and now they need to do the same to get the player. Zin White is wanted by plenty schools and is talking to coaches at Courtland and Riverbend high school yet is zoned for SHS, if the school messes this up and doesn't make sure to get the player they might need to be successful to be compatible with the hall of fame coach they need to act fast.

You guys act like these high schools are like college recruiters in getting players! this young man can't just walk around Spotsylvania county and decide what school he wants to play for. he has to make a physical move with his parents to that school zone and show the move by a electric bill or some proof. if his parents are separated he has to show who legally has custody to be able to play in that said school zone. if he moves in with a kin person cousin grandparent etc they have to go to court and get custody papers showing complete custody of the student and a good reason to the judge why he is changing schools.
back in the day it was much easier to switch lines and get by with it but today you have to go through a lot more to do it. I am not saying it is not happening now but it is not as frequent as you think. the consequences are harsh if caught as JM played the price a few years ago when they had a awesome team and had to forfeit 7 games and they were undefeated at the time and couldn't make the playoffs. they was assured of playing for a state title and had to set home because they had a ineligible player that hardly played that had no bearing on their success that season.
so don't act like this young man can run around the county living in the spotsy zone and think he can run over and play for courtland without a move or a lot of paper work or a legal custody change through court.

We have differing Coaching philosophies but that's OK. You're entitled to your opinion. Courtland's focus is on developing smart, educated young men. Then they make ball players and bringing them along slowly during their most difficult year in HS is their chosen way. Even on practice days, during the regular season, the 1st hour after School is Study Hall so they can work on their classroom assignments. Not Football. State Championships are fine for LT and the results say they're quite good at it. Courtland makes good men and the results say they're quite good at it. For me, winning or losing a game doesn't matter. It's about how you play the game. A lot of people don't agree with that. Understood.

So, let me get this right I have a kid in the 10th grade that has started every game since he walked on campus in HS and is one of the top 10th graders in the nation he would have been on JV as a 9th grader at Courtland? Also this kid is in ROTC and holds over a 3.5 GPA and came to HS with the same kind of grades, so what adjustment does having him sit the bench do for a kid like this? I guess you guys don't allow kids in the 8th grade to play JV either? I guess at LT we don't focus on developing young men because our focus is on winning state titles? Why can't you do both? We have plenty of kids that are doing the right thing in the community. Everyone has study hall, we are heavily involved in the FCA with our team, we do community service projects we aren't just out here running around winning football games and producing gangsters.
(http://hamptonroads.com/2015/04/exlake-taylor-standouts-help-those-need) (http://www.recruit757.com/take-student-athlete-lake-taylor-middle-students-find/)

So, let me get this right I have a kid in the 10th grade that has started every game since he walked on campus in HS and is one of the top 10th graders in the nation he would have been on JV as a 9th grader at Courtland? Also this kid is in ROTC and holds over a 3.5 GPA and came to HS with the same kind of grades, so what adjustment does having him sit the bench do for a kid like this? I guess you guys don't allow kids in the 8th grade to play JV either? I guess at LT we don't focus on developing young men because our focus is on winning state titles? Why can't you do both? We have plenty of kids that are doing the right thing in the community. Everyone has study hall, we are heavily involved in the FCA with our team, we do community service projects we aren't just out here running around winning football games and producing gangsters.
(http://hamptonroads.com/2015/04/exlake-taylor-standouts-help-those-need) (http://www.recruit757.com/take-student-athlete-lake-taylor-middle-students-find/)
I don't think JC has a rule against playing Freshmen. In fact, I can remember some freshmen being dressed when I played even though it was for depth and they still played with the JV team. but this was back in the 1st couple of years when we were recovering from the Bishop years, maybe now that he has the program where he wants it freshmen don't play. That being said if a De'Shawn Hand enrolled at Courtland as a freshman I'm sure JC would play him.

courtland and JM DON'T RECRUIT. I know both Serbay and Hall all my life and even though they don't discourage a transfer they sure don't beat the bushes trying to find players to entice them in their programs. so put that rumor to rest also as it just aint so I promise!

You guys act like these high schools are like college recruiters in getting players! this young man can't just walk around Spotsylvania county and decide what school he wants to play for. he has to make a physical move with his parents to that school zone and show the move by a electric bill or some proof. if his parents are separated he has to show who legally has custody to be able to play in that said school zone. if he moves in with a kin person cousin grandparent etc they have to go to court and get custody papers showing complete custody of the student and a good reason to the judge why he is changing schools.
back in the day it was much easier to switch lines and get by with it but today you have to go through a lot more to do it. I am not saying it is not happening now but it is not as frequent as you think. the consequences are harsh if caught as JM played the price a few years ago when they had a awesome team and had to forfeit 7 games and they were undefeated at the time and couldn't make the playoffs. they was assured of playing for a state title and had to set home because they had a ineligible player that hardly played that had no bearing on their success that season.
so don't act like this young man can run around the county living in the spotsy zone and think he can run over and play for courtland without a move or a lot of paper work or a legal custody change through court.[/QUOTE]
JC recruits and look who it is following blindly behind, ole Free Bird

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
This Courtland stuff is hilarious! What a joke. Someone's just trying to paint Courtland as the perfect place that does everything right, the same as he paints himself, knowing he has that stupid VHSL self-reporting rule to fall back on. As if someone's really going to self investigate. LOL! Yeah, none of Courtland's current star skill players live in Chancellor's or Spoty's zone, and that QB from a couple of years ago wasn't still living in Orange, either. How is life in your bubble?

453dd56bca721658f0ccd25890bbfe9c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DEVILSLB99
He would have been on JV at Courtland. As I've said, there are no exceptions. 8th Graders play Middle School only. They don't step foot into Courtland till after after they're done in June and are then allowed to participate in the Summer lifting program as they enter the 9th grade. There is no Freshman team. None of the Middle Schools run the Cougar offense. They have their own Coach's that run their own show. None of the Parks and Rec programs have anything to do with Courtland other than Cougar Camp one week during the summer, which the Courtland players run, unpaid. I don't understand the collation between playing JV and "sitting on the bench". No one even insinuated gangsters. That's all you. Study Hall is after school and before practice...everyday. Is that how you guys work it too?

I realize you don't agree with this. That's OK. But it works for the Cougars. Clearly, LT has a way that works also. GL to them in 2015.

He would have been on JV at Courtland. As I've said, there are no exceptions. 8th Graders play Middle School only. They don't step foot into Courtland till after after they're done in June and are then allowed to participate in the Summer lifting program as they enter the 9th grade. There is no Freshman team. None of the Middle Schools run the Cougar offense. They have their own Coach's that run their own show. None of the Parks and Rec programs have anything to do with Courtland other than Cougar Camp one week during the summer, which the Courtland players run, unpaid. I don't understand the collation between playing JV and "sitting on the bench". No one even insinuated gangsters. That's all you. Study Hall is after school and before practice...everyday. Is that how you guys work it too?

I realize you don't agree with this. That's OK. But it works for the Cougars. Clearly, LT has a way that works also. GL to them in 2015.

Whatever floats the Courtland boat, but that's how they like it then I love it. The gangster comment comes from the correlation that you made that because Courtland does X,Y,Z the Courtland way then they are these excellent individuals and well respected community. What about the teams that do things their way and still achieve the same results? As far as MS goes no one in Norfolk runs the LT offense either. Every MS is spreading it out and running whatever their coach runs. There is no freshman football here you can play JV in MS, but most MS coaches don't let 8th graders play because hey want to win at the MS level. They even went as far to propose something where 8th graders can't play JV. I'm sorry but IF you are ready no need to dominate MS. Jalyn Holmes started 4 years on Varsity for LT, and he took his lumps his 9th grade year but it was all for the better he left HS an All-American. Ricky Slade playing JV football this past year...Hilarious. So my question is how good is Courtland JV team?

I don't think JC has a rule against playing Freshmen. In fact, I can remember some freshmen being dressed when I played even though it was for depth and they still played with the JV team. but this was back in the 1st couple of years when we were recovering from the Bishop years, maybe now that he has the program where he wants it freshmen don't play. That being said if a De'Shawn Hand enrolled at Courtland as a freshman I'm sure JC would play him.

2 years ago was the article in the FLS about Chancellor having to start 8 Freshmen on their Varsity squad. There were several quotes in the paper from Hall and 2 of their players that currently have DI offers. All confirmed Freshmen don't play Varsity and in my decade of watching, I've never seen it. There is a caveat. Some Freshmen have been brought up at playoff time and after the JV season is over. They dress and get to see what Varsity is like. They're on the official roster but do not play. One more item I had forgotten. Only Seniors can be team Captains.

I might be open to possible change if I got a D'Shawn Hand but I don't think JC would be swayed.

Whatever floats the Courtland boat, but that's how they like it then I love it. The gangster comment comes from the correlation that you made that because Courtland does X,Y,Z the Courtland way then they are these excellent individuals and well respected community. What about the teams that do things their way and still achieve the same results? As far as MS goes no one in Norfolk runs the LT offense either. Every MS is spreading it out and running whatever their coach runs. There is no freshman football here you can play JV in MS, but most MS coaches don't let 8th graders play because hey want to win at the MS level. They even went as far to propose something where 8th graders can't play JV. I'm sorry but IF you are ready no need to dominate MS. Jalyn Holmes started 4 years on Varsity for LT, and he took his lumps his 9th grade year but it was all for the better he left HS an All-American. Ricky Slade playing JV football this past year...Hilarious. So my question is how good is Courtland JV team?

They're always pretty good and more often than not win the District Title but in all honesty, I have not seen them in the past 2 years so I can't give you a current knowledgable answer. I can get the Varsity videos but I haven't even bothered to look for any JV stuff.

freshmen don't play Varsity for JC Hall, no matter how talented.

Sorry, not buying that a coach as smart and talented as J.C. Hall blindly links himself to a rule that adds no value to the growth of the program.

Having a rule saying that no freshman, NO MATTER WHAT, cannot be on varsity is as random as saying any player who wears a red shirt on the first day of school cannot try out for football.

It makes no sense, has absolutely no thought-out process behind it and, if true, handcuffs the coach without serving a higher purpose.

Sorry, not buying that a coach as smart and talented as J.C. Hall blindly links himself to a rule that adds no value to the growth of the program.

Having a rule saying that no freshman, NO MATTER WHAT, cannot be on varsity is as random as saying any player who wears a red shirt on the first day of school cannot try out for football.

It makes no sense, has absolutely no thought-out process behind it and, if true, handcuffs the coach without serving a higher purpose.
Actually, in his view, it does add value and I can see where it does. Perhaps it's just because he's never had a player with that level of talent. I don't know. Honestly, I'm not going to put a 13 - 14 year old on Varsity either. They're not ready either physically or emotionally. I'm not trying to justify it or say it's right or wrong. That's just the way it is. I do agree with it. That's how I Coach too. I also don't believe 18 year olds should go to the NBA even though there are plenty of success stories. We all just see the world differently. Some are John Wooten who never even had to raise his voice. Some are Bob Knight who swore, shouted and intimidated his players to victory. Both were successful.

Actually, in his view, it does add value and I can see where it does. Perhaps it's just because he's never had a player with that level of talent. I don't know. Honestly, I'm not going to put a 13 - 14 year old on Varsity either. They're not ready either physically or emotionally. I'm not trying to justify it or say it's right or wrong. That's just the way it is. I do agree with it. That's how I Coach too. I also don't believe 18 year olds should go to the NBA even though there are plenty of success stories. We all just see the world differently. Some are John Wooten who never even had to raise his voice. Some are Bob Knight who swore, shouted and intimidated his players to victory. Both were successful.

Maybe you hit the nail on the head that he's probably haven't had a kid that is varsity ready as a freshman in his program. Just speaking of the last two impact freshman we have had start from day 1 both were all district selections as freshman. Sure there is a difference between 13-14 year old strength and 18 sometimes 19 year old strength but as a coach you wouldn't put a kid out there that couldn't hold his own as that would be wreckless as a coach. When you saw Darnell Ewell last year as a freshman you walked away saying that kid was impressive that is why he has a billion offers and the play on the field spoke for itself. Let him get a stud freshman and I guarantee that philosophy goes out the window. Talent is talent

You are making a different argument now by saying that he has never had one physically capable.

Your first statement was that NO MATTER WHAT, he would NEVER play a freshman, as a matter of principle.

If Ray Lewis, Jr. transferred to Courtland as a freshman and checked in at 6-3, 230 pounds and neither you nor J.C. Hall would even look at him once until his sophomore season, that's not a "different" philosophy. That's cutting your nose off to spite your face which is bad coaching.

You are making a different argument now by saying that he has never had one physically capable.

Your first statement was that NO MATTER WHAT, he would NEVER play a freshman, as a matter of principle.

If Ray Lewis, Jr. transferred to Courtland as a freshman and checked in at 6-3, 230 pounds and neither you nor J.C. Hall would even look at him once until his sophomore season, that's not a "different" philosophy. That's cutting your nose off to spite your face which is bad coaching.

I did say, in other threads, it MAY be because he never had a player with that level of talent. I also said that if I had a player with that level of talent I MAY be more open minded. that's me.

But this is JC Hall. A man who fired his own Father as Defensive Coordinator. A Father who's resume and record far exceeded any DC in the State. A man who won many games for them because of his unique game plans. A man whom the players adored. A man with vast College and NFL experience as a DC. All because he disagreed with how JC called the offensive plays and Doc Hall was right. That is cutting your nose off despite your face. But That's the real JC. His way is the ONLY way. His world is black and white. There are no grey areas. His rules are immovable and immutable.

So yes. If Ray Lewis Jr enrolled at Courtland as a Freshman, he goes to JV without even a 2nd thought. Personally, I would at least think twice. JC will not.

Hudl and MaxPreps says he was a Sophomore. Regardless, he'll be highly recruited.
Just to clarify I meant last school year not last season. He is a rising Jr. Sorry about the confusion. But the point still remains when he was a freshman people knew who he was after watching an LT game. Alabama, Ohio St, and anyone else with a pulse has offered him and he was collecting offers as a freshman also.

I did say, in other threads, it MAY be because he never had a player with that level of talent. I also said that if I had a player with that level of talent I MAY be more open minded. that's me.

But this is JC Hall. A man who fired his own Father as Defensive Coordinator. A Father who's resume and record far exceeded any DC in the State. A man who won many games for them because of his unique game plans. A man whom the players adored. A man with vast College and NFL experience as a DC. All because he disagreed with how JC called the offensive plays and Doc Hall was right. That is cutting your nose off despite your face. But That's the real JC. His way is the ONLY way. His world is black and white. There are no grey areas. His rules are immovable and immutable.

So yes. If Ray Lewis Jr enrolled at Courtland as a Freshman, he goes to JV without even a 2nd thought. Personally, I would at least think twice. JC will not.

Well, you know Courtland football better than I do, so I'll take your word for it, but J.C. Hall has not struck me as a guy as mentality unstable as you are making him out to be.

Well, you know Courtland football better than I do, so I'll take your word for it, but J.C. Hall has not struck me as a guy as mentality unstable as you are making him out to be.
I don't think my words should be taken as mental instability. Just driven and single minded. The boys still love the man and he is a remarkable motivator. They play multiple games with no penalties or turnovers every year. You just don't see that from any other team. That has to say something. No, Freshman don't play Varsity. He did fire his own Father. it is his way or no way. There are many HS Coach's that can be identified in that manner.

You need a new source. JC didn't fire his father, his father became sick! Yes, some freshmen play varsity. Yes, Courtland does get penalized and turns the ball over. I'm sure Coach Hall loves all this nonsense you're posting.

Last edited:
You need a new source. JC didnt fire his father, his father became sick! Yes, some freshmen play varsity. Yes, Courtland does get penalized and turns the ball over. I'm sure Coach Hall loves all this nonsense you're posting.
New source? I was there. Who ever said Courtland doesn't get penalized or turns the ball over? this is simple. Put up a name of the Freshman who actually played in the last decade and Place Kickers don't count.

Well get your eyes checked, it's probably that time for bifocals.
They play multiple games with no penalties or turnovers every year.
No they don't, that's not true. FLS says so.
Put up aname of the Freshman who actually played in the last decade and Place Kickers don't count.
I can't tell you but I'm sure Coach Sherry can, I'll ask.

WOW....So I see you based your whole knowledge and being in the know from reading that article. Oh well I will stick to my point that is why Courtland is a solid program, but not a program that is a threat to win it all. We have kids that won a state title as freshmen in 2012 and guess what....That's our Sr. class this year so they have won two state titles and their other 3 losses were to 2 state champions (Dinwiddie and LC Bird) and a state runner up (Oscar Smith) for a career record of 40-3. I think also they have come around very nicely socially and handled being on varsity as 9th graders. Maybe its too big of a stage for the kids at Courtland so they have to brought along slowly to build up their confidence, while in some parts of the state confidence is never lacking.

They're just being PC in that article. If the players and coach really have that mentality, then I agree that's not a state championship mentality.

WOW....So I see you based your whole knowledge and being in the know from reading that article. Oh well I will stick to my point that is why Courtland is a solid program, but not a program that is a threat to win it all. We have kids that won a state title as freshmen in 2012 and guess what....That's our Sr. class this year so they have won two state titles and their other 3 losses were to 2 state champions (Dinwiddie and LC Bird) and a state runner up (Oscar Smith) for a career record of 40-3. I think also they have come around very nicely socially and handled being on varsity as 9th graders. Maybe its too big of a stage for the kids at Courtland so they have to brought along slowly to build up their confidence, while in some parts of the state confidence is never lacking.

Actually, my knowledge is based on seeing every Courtland game over the last decade and having sons who played in the program. Obviously, I know many other players and the Coach's. Everyone Coach's differently. Each think they're right. And JC Hall is a great Coach. The kids love him. And I think he is doing right with regard to the Freshmen. But that's just IMO. I would do the same.

Now, would I run my offense as predictably as JC? No. Would I run pass patterns with only one receiver? No. Would I give my QB options? Yes. Courtland is "this is what we run. Stop it if you can." Defensively, Doc Hall is gone. They have the goods to win it all, even in the East. But when you keep Ferraris in the garage, you probably don't win the race.

Now, would I run my offense as predictably as JC? No. Would I run pass patterns with only one receiver? No. Would I give my QB options? Yes. Courtland is "this is what we run. Stop it if you can." Defensively, Doc Hall is gone. They have the goods to win it all, even in the East. But when you keep Ferraris in the garage, you probably don't win the race.

Unless, of course, that Ferrari is a first-year model in which case you think that it is wholly acceptable to leave it in the garage for the entire year no matter the circumstances, even if it is the best car that you have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT