ADVERTISEMENT

STATE GAMES AT LU

wikki

VaPreps All State
Oct 21, 2001
What happens now that all the 4A state games are played at LU? So if LCA makes it that far what will happen to that game, no one should be allowed to play on their home field.

Reactions: mike salem
Teams now play on home field until state final. At least LCA has a good field to play on, unlike some schools.

Teams now play on home field until state final. At least LCA has a good field to play on, unlike some schools.
I know that. I was asking if they made it to the State game, they should not be allowed to play on their home field, I don't care what kind of field they have

The VHSL has ruined the state basketball tournament by having it in Richmond. No need to do same for football. Richmond is not a good venue for any sport.

The VHSL has ruined the state basketball tournament by having it in Richmond. No need to do same for football. Richmond is not a good venue for any sport.

This is an ignorant statement. Just because you got lost driving there doesn't make it a bad venue. UR's stadium is nowhere near downtown Richmond.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

So what do you suggest? City stadium was a great spot to have it, and the new U of R stadium is also a great place. ODU is a great choice also.

Robbins Stadium is a lot nicer than Williams Stadium. The VHSL just gets more money that's the only reason I can think of for them not to switch it. But who cares about a neutral location when half the teams will have home field advantage as long as the VHSL gets their money.

I guess you haven't been to the STU for a VCU game. You could fill an entire room with the ignorance from this post

I'm pretty sure he's actually referring to the STU as a terrible venue. He got lost on Broad Street somehow & acts like that's normal. There's plenty of drawbacks to having all those games at the Siegel Center in the middle of the city, but not understanding how to arrive at the location is NOT one of them. Sorry HR6; this reasoning is borderline idiotic.

I understand what Hampton Roads 6 is saying and I wouldn't call it idiotic. I'm a student at VCU and I've been to EVERY VCU basketball game the past 3 years and parking is horrendous on Broad St and the streets surrounding the Stu. By the time you spend 8 dollars to park (if you choose to park on the street you could be looking at a 20-70 dollar fine for parking violations) and $10 for a ticket/s, cost adds up quickly. My personal opinion, I love the football state championship at Williams Stadium and wouldn't mind seeing the basketball games rotated between VCU, Vines Center, and John Paul in Charlottesville

I understand what Hampton Roads 6 is saying and I wouldn't call it idiotic. I'm a student at VCU and I've been to EVERY VCU basketball game the past 3 years and parking is horrendous on Broad St and the streets surrounding the Stu. By the time you spend 8 dollars to park (if you choose to park on the street you could be looking at a 20-70 dollar fine for parking violations) and $10 for a ticket/s, cost adds up quickly. My personal opinion, I love the football state championship at Williams Stadium and wouldn't mind seeing the basketball games rotated between VCU, Vines Center, and John Paul in Charlottesville
I drive past City Stadium every day i go to the office. I have seen numerous state championships there. It is not usuable for any VHSL state chamionship event. The facility is way outmoded. The Richmond area does not have venue that is large enough to hold a championship football event.

748.gif

I drive past City Stadium every day i go to the office. I have seen numerous state championships there. It is not usuable for any VHSL state chamionship event. The facility is way outmoded. The Richmond area does not have venue that is large enough to hold a championship football event.

No one is advocating for City Stadium (that I know of). UR's on-campus stadium could work, though. It's probably one of the smaller D1 stadiums, but it might work depending on historical attendance numbers. Anyone have those?

Not discounting your thoughts on parking for the basketball championship at all, but this is what HR6 actually thinks & it is most definitely idiotic.

Richmond is a bad venue for ANY sporting event.

I wish someone would name me one good thing about Richmond as a host venue for VHSL events. There is none unless one lives in the area and is a "homer".

The on campus stadium at UofR holds 7000 to 8000 and there is not a bad seat in the house. If you need more room, you could have it at the old stadium where they played up until 3 years ago. It seats 15000+ but it is not as plush as the new one.

I seriously doubt that any of the state title games brings in more than 6000 people and usually there are much fewer than that if it is a little bit cold or anything falls from the sky. And typically it not 65 and sunny in December

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The on campus stadium at UofR holds 7000 to 8000 and there is not a bad seat in the house. If you need more room, you could have it at the old stadium where they played up until 3 years ago. It seats 15000+ but it is not as plush as the new one.

I seriously doubt that any of the state title games brings in more than 6000 people and usually there are much fewer than that if it is a little bit cold or anything falls from the sky. And typically it not 65 and sunny in December
Actually it holds 8700
http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=26800&ATCLID=209882498

I understand that parking is a real problem at City Stadium. I also hated the locker facilities because if you played the first game you have to vacate before the game and dress at a local school. If you play at Robbins, what happens if Richmond has a home playoff game that weekend? For that matter, what if Liberty does?

I believe that there is a limit placed upon the University of Richmond by the surrounding area about how many events per year that they can hold at their stadium.

Thus, not really an option. Would be a great venue for it though.

If Liberty has a playoff game on Saturday of state championship game, the VHSL games will be played on Sunday. That almost happened last season. If LU had beaten Villanova , LU would have hosted the next week because I believe it was Jacksonville State who got upset, thus would have gave LU a home game.

I wish someone would name me one good thing about Richmond as a host venue for VHSL events. There is none unless one lives in the area and is a "homer".

Located at the population center of the state. (Greater walk-up revenue potential)
Multiple quality basketball venues. (UR & VCU)
If Rod is right about UR not permitted to host anything beyond their own football games, then I will admit there is no ideal football site.
Lots of hotels available for housing athletes & supporters.

I will say that it probably doesn't make sense for Groups 1-3 to move a football title game to Richmond just based on how many past champions are from the SWVA area. Common sense says keep those games closer to Lynchburg/Roanoke.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Located at the population center of the state. (Greater walk-up revenue potential)
Multiple quality basketball venues. (UR & VCU)
If Rod is right about UR not permitted to host anything beyond their own football games, then I will admit there is no ideal football site.
Lots of hotels available for housing athletes & supporters.

I will say that it probably doesn't make sense for Groups 1-3 to move a football title game to Richmond just based on how many past champions are from the SWVA area. Common sense says keep those games closer to Lynchburg/Roanoke.
Yeah because you want to give teams home field advantage in the state title game

If Liberty has a playoff game on Saturday of state championship game, the VHSL games will be played on Sunday. That almost happened last season. If LU had beaten Villanova , LU would have hosted the next week because I believe it was Jacksonville State who got upset, thus would have gave LU a home game.
Still LCA should not be able to play at home if they ever make it to that title game is my point

Yeah because you want to give teams home field advantage in the state title game

Was this a reply to my post? I don't understand. My last sentence in that post was simply recognizing that keeping games in Lynchburg/Roanoke area made sense for bigger crowds & easier access for fanbases.

Lynchburg is best venue in state for football, baseball and softball.
Charlottesville is best for basketball.

Why? And you never answered my questions about your position on Richmond. You just asked a question in reply (which I gave you the courtesy of answering).

Richmond is bad because the venues there are not easily reachable once one arrives in the city. parking sucks, no matter where you go in the city. Hard to find a good eating place near venues. Sure one can eat at concession stands, but they are that good and very expensive for what you get. No hotels within walking distance of venues. (Richmond isn't a city I'd walk on street for anything)

There are 17-year-old white girls walking the streets of Richmond, but you won't. Too funny. There doesn't need to be hotels within walking distance when everyone drives. Plenty of good places to eat if you weren't scared to look. Only thing I halfway agree on is parking, but it's still not that bad.

Richmond is bad because the venues there are not easily reachable once one arrives in the city. parking sucks, no matter where you go in the city. Hard to find a good eating place near venues. Sure one can eat at concession stands, but they are that good and very expensive for what you get. No hotels within walking distance of venues. (Richmond isn't a city I'd walk on street for anything)
A quick Google search shows ten restaurants within two blocks of the place including a couple right across the street.

I have to disagree with you, too, HR6. I have lived about 25 miles from Richmond for all 61 years of my life. I don't care for metropolitan areas, but it doesn't change the facts. Richmond is certainly no worse than any other similar areas, and in many ways it is considerably better.

First, it is not at all unsafe as long as visitors use common sense and follow ordinary safe practices.

Secondly, when it comes to food, trust me, Richmond is a remarkable place to catch a meal. I'm sure any concessions at the relevant sports venues are typical, but you won't starve. But a short few blocks away is a panacea of eating delight. "The Fan" which is roughly within the footprint of VCU is legendary. If you don't like the choices in this area, it is impossible to please you.

Parking is what parking is. I've been to LU and parked a mile away, literally. I've been to the Siegle Center and parked so close I was rediculouly early for an event. So it's like anywhere. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you aren't.

But, this is the most positive of all the "positives". The people you encounter are genuinely polite and helpful. Ask anyone on the sidewalk about a good place to eat, or how to get somewhere, and you are very likely to get written directions, or the first name of the hostess at a nearby restaurant.

The only problem, (tongue in cheek), are the "crazy" VCU kids. If you think you are going to encounter LU's conservatively dressed, immaculately groomed students, are you in for a surprise! There is no limits to the wacky hairdos' strange dress, and wierd colors. And that's just the facility.

In all seriousness, you may not like the playoffs being in Richmond, but your reasons why just don't hold water. Sorry HR6.

DP

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
I agree with states in Lynchburg but LCA should not be able to play on their homefield if they make it to STATE, don't think they will anyway

I have to disagree with you, too, HR6. I have lived about 25 miles from Richmond for all 61 years of my life. I don't care for metropolitan areas, but it doesn't change the facts. Richmond is certainly no worse than any other similar areas, and in many ways it is considerably better.

First, it is not at all unsafe as long as visitors use common sense and follow ordinary safe practices.

Secondly, when it comes to food, trust me, Richmond is a remarkable place to catch a meal. I'm sure any concessions at the relevant sports venues are typical, but you won't starve. But a short few blocks away is a panacea of eating delight. "The Fan" which is roughly within the footprint of VCU is legendary. If you don't like the choices in this area, it is impossible to please you.

Parking is what parking is. I've been to LU and parked a mile away, literally. I've been to the Siegle Center and parked so close I was rediculouly early for an event. So it's like anywhere. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you aren't.

But, this is the most positive of all the "positives". The people you encounter are genuinely polite and helpful. Ask anyone on the sidewalk about a good place to eat, or how to get somewhere, and you are very likely to get written directions, or the first name of the hostess at a nearby restaurant.

The only problem, (tongue in cheek), are the "crazy" VCU kids. If you think you are going to encounter LU's conservatively dressed, immaculately groomed students, are you in for a surprise! There is no limits to the wacky hairdos' strange dress, and wierd colors. And that's just the facility.

In all seriousness, you may not like the playoffs being in Richmond, but your reasons why just don't hold water. Sorry HR6.

DP
I agree, has anyone been to an LU game for football. They dress crazy just like anyone else, but that is just supporting their team. One lady from LCA posted that she wasn't crazy about LCA playing public schools because of the environment. There is rarely trouble at high school games but I guess she is just assuming bad things. One thing I know for sure is that at Amherst, the administration keeps the student body under control and they do not let them cross over to the visitor side as JF and Brookville does. Glass and Heritage has issues at times because of the rivalry and has extra security. I just don't think LCA should be allowed to play at LU if they play for the State

Was this a reply to my post? I don't understand. My last sentence in that post was simply recognizing that keeping games in Lynchburg/Roanoke area made sense for bigger crowds & easier access for fanbases.
True they will have bigger crowds no doubt. Amherst still holds the largest attendance at LU for a state game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT