ADVERTISEMENT

State Tournament Preview And Predictions

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Just for talking purposes and for fun. Feel free to leave your predictions as well.

Lancaster vs Buffalo Gap:

The Red Devils come into the state tournament as the favorite after defending champion Parry McCluer was upset in the Region C semifinals. The Devils are one of the best shooting teams I've seen at the 1A level in quite some time. Led by NND POY, freshman Troy Henderson and his brother Tyson, Lancaster has had many blowout wins. How will they do if a game comes down to the wire? Buffalo Gap is in the state playoffs for the first time since 1994. In Bennet Bowers, they have someone who can light up the scoreboard. Bowers will need help from Ingram and Laporte, if they want to win. They also have to control tempo and keep it to a halfcourt game. Prediction: Lancaster 78 Buffalo Gap 58

Altavista vs Washington and Lee:

Altavista was state runner-up last season, but look to close the deal this year. In Stuart Hunt, they have a guy who at 6'5 ,can score on the inside, yet still is their best shooter. The Colonels aren't a one man show though and have several others who can step up with the game on the line. In the Eagles, Altavista will look to shutdown All NND players in Brandon Washington and Darius Harris. How will W&L bounce back from a 32 point loss in the Region A championship? That question is the one that could decide the outcome. Prediction: Altavista 55 W&L 47

Auburn vs Eastside:

These two schools aren't strangers to each other. Two seasons ago they played twice with Auburn winning both games including in the state quarterfinals on their way to being declared co-champions with Mathews. The leader of that team was Ethan Millirons, who is now a senior. Millirons is arguably the best player in the state in 1A. Eastside will look to make this game a slugfest in my opinion. The lower the score, the better for them. They'll need 6'6 Eli McCoy to have a big game and control the paint. The key will be how the Spartans handle Millirons. Can they make someone else beat them? Can they take the ball out of his hands? Prediction: Auburn 46 Eastside 40

Twin Springs vs Fort Chiswell:
Twin Springs is a team that many, myself included, had winning Region D at the beginning of the season, and sure enough they did. They have a great pair of juniors who everything runs through in Bradley Owens and Connor Lane. If they're both on, and they usually are, then lookout. Fort Chiswell surprised many by upsetting defending champion Parry McCluer in the regional semifinals. In Siler Watson they have a player who can completely take over a game. On the defensive end, they're no slouch either, as evidenced by holding PM without a field goal in the 2nd quarter of their game. TS will have their fans out in bunches, but I expect FC to travel well also. Prediction: Fort Chiswell 64 Twin Springs 56

State Semifinals:

Lancaster vs Altavista:

In this game, I look for Altavista to try and slow things down, as no team left in the field can run with Lancaster or has the number of overall weapons. The Devils had 3 players make 1st team NND and two make 2nd team. Try and slow down the Henderson brothers, and you still have Darius Smith, Gerrion Owens, and Jeremy Smith, among others who can hurt you. Altavista will need to play the physical style of defense that they're known for and have Stuart Hunt have a monster game. Prediction: Lancaster 65 Altavista 49

Auburn vs Fort Chiswell:

If this matchup comes to fruition, then it will be the 5th match-up of the season between the two teams. Auburn won the first game in a blowout and by 5 in the second encounter. FC bounced back to win by 16 in the district championship. Not to be outdone, the Eagles won a close one in the Region C championship game. Needless to say, these teams know each other well. Usually in games where the opponents are this familiar with each other, players that you might not normally expect much from, come out of nowhere to be the difference maker. Which team could have that player emerge? Prediction: Auburn 54 Fort Chiswell 52

State Championship:

Lancaster vs Auburn:

The 2020 co-champions led by one of the best players in the state, against a team that just seems to be on a mission. Can Auburn do what many others haven't and control the clock? Will superstar freshman Troy Henderson show that the big lights don't phase him? How will Auburn contain all of the shooters that Lancaster has? What will Lancaster do to keep Ethan Millirons under control? Prediction: Lancaster 72 Auburn 55

To me Lancaster seems like a team of destiny and with only 2 seniors, I look for them to be in the same position next season

Last edited:
Let's hear predictions from others. I was hoping this thread would create some interaction. I know I'm looking forward to the games tomorrow and next week

Let's hear predictions from others. I was hoping this thread would create some interaction. I know I'm looking forward to the games tomorrow and next week
I literally agree with your entire post!! You’re spot on with the predictions. I just think the W&L/Altavista games is gonna be a buzzer beater or something crazy exciting!!🤣🤣🤣 IDK I just got a feeling.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
I literally agree with your entire post!! You’re spot on with the predictions. I just think the W&L/Altavista games is gonna be a buzzer beater or something crazy exciting!!🤣🤣🤣 IDK I just got a feeling.
Well as a Region A guy, I'm definitely pulling for the Eagles and I hope I'm wrong on that one

Reactions: LHS4Lyfe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT