ADVERTISEMENT

Suprised at how Matoaca's Dyke was used!

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
I watched Justin Dyke warm up, and the kid has a leg. But, on every kickoff, he kicked at a severe angle to about the 30 to 35 yard line. He was accurate and had decent height on these kicks. I guess the strategy worked for the most part. They covered each kick well, and no significant yards were given up.

But, with a leg like that, why not let him kick away? Very little doubt that many, if not most would kicks would have been touchbacks. Why give the opposing team this kind of field position when you have a weapon like him?

I came away from the game pondering why Matoaca had only won 2 games? Matoaca's Jamison sliced for 235 yards against a pretty darn good run stop defense. The entire effort by Matoaca really impressed the heck out of me. You might conclude that Dinnwidie might not be as good as their record. But, I don't think that is the case at all. I think Matoaca is a heck of a lot more talented than their record indicates.

The game would not have been as close as the score indicates, had it not been for the 105 yards of penalties assessed against Dinwiddie, including two touchdowns called back. And virtually on every long run Dinwiddie made, there was a holding flag thrown. And to be fair, Matoaca had a TD called back for the same reason.

My point on this is that I believe the officials inserted themselves way too much in the game. Holding can be called on every play. There needs to be a lot of discretion by the officials. I just don't think that was the case in this game. And to clarify, this troublesome problem was against both teams.

But back to my original point. I think Matoaca needs to reconsider the way they use their quality kicker. Maybe giving up poor field position on every kickoff has been part of the reason a good team has only two wins over weak teams?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News