ADVERTISEMENT

Surry 8 - Clintwood 8 - 3:15 in 1st quarter

Re: Surry 8 - Clintwood 12 - end of 1st quarter

So far Surry's got as many points as fouls (8) and Clintwood has six fouls as well.

Re: Surry 16- Clintwood 25 - halftime (edit)

Surry had cut it to 16-20 and then let Clintwood finish on a 5-0 run.

This post was edited on 3/9 12:24 PM by MrJ82

This post was edited on 3/9 12:39 PM by MrJ82

Re: Surry 16- Clintwood 25 - 5:00 left in 2nd quarter

Seven different players scored for Clintwood in 1st half. Fletcher and Mullins each have 6 points, with Mullins hauling down 9 boards. https://twitter.com/hashtag/HCBG?src=hash

Surry 6-foot-4 sophomore Brianna Jones with 6 points, 8 boards and 7 blocks at the break

Surry County shot 5-for-21 in first half and committed 12 turnovers

Re: Surry 27 - Clintwood 44 - end 3rd quarter

Clintwood's running Surry out of the Seigel Center at the moment.
This post was edited on 3/9 12:57 PM by MrJ82

Re: Surry 17- Clintwood 27 - 5:34 left in 3rd quarter

Agree about the speed - Surry appears very young and inexperienced against Clintwood's speed and pressure.

Don't understand why Surry doesn't go inside to the 6'4 Jones more often.

I also don't understand why she's playing 15 feet from the rim and taking shots from there. She's got at least 6 inches and often 8 inches on her defender...

I noticed that as well about Jones.

Clintwood just your typical SW Virginia team (Wise, Floyd, Gate City) - fundamentally sound, good ball handlers/shooters - they don't beat themselves

Unofficially, Surry's Brianna Jones has a triple-double.

Also noticed her leg/ankle braces - hampers her movement ability to a degree, especially running up and down the court.

Surry's trying to run with a team that it much, much quicker than them. It ends up with 3-5 fast breaks with more Clintwood defenders and Surry puts up a wild shot, Clintwood gets the rebound and fast breaks the other way. Surry's got a couple guards that want to run but their advantage, size, can't run, so they're not getting any offensive rebounds despite a huge size advantage. (They've got four players as tall or taller than Clintwood's tallest.).

Everything you say is accurate - wild shot for Surry or loses the ball - Clintwood is having a layup drill

Clintwood wins, 64-38

Congrats to Clintwood. They were by far the better team today. And congrats to Kayla Mullins, I saw her as a freshman and she impressed me then, so good luck and hope she gets a ring.

That being said, I wonder home much more of a game it would have been if Surry had kept themselves in a halfcourt offense? In the first half, Surry was using its size to keep it close and in the second half, Surry tied to outrun a quicker team. I still think Clintwood wins but it would be much closer.

Congrats, Clintwood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT