ADVERTISEMENT

Sussex early season test

trutiger16

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 10, 2014
Here we go folks! My Tigers will have to be sharp early; they will not have the luxury of opening up with an easy schedule as they face a perennial powerhouse in Essex on opening night, then they follow up with Lancaster, then a resurgent King & Queen, next up those scrappy young men from Colonial Beach. If Sussex survives this and comes out with an 4-0 record, they will be hard to stop as the season progresses. Essex has owned Sussex for a while, this game will be a confidence booster if the Tigers can pull this game off.

From what little I know at this stage, I'd be surprised if Sussex is NOT 4-0 after those four games.

Essex has taken a major hit from last season in darn near every position…QB, WRs, RB, OL/DL, DBs and special teams. I’m not sure what’s coming up from jv due to not being able to catch any of their games. Good thing is, the underclassman got in some good playing time against opponents 1st string last year due to most games pretty much being decided around mid 3rd Q. Essex still have a handful of starters sprinkled around and some underclassman that showed they can keep this thing rolling. Guess I will get a better feel for what’s to come once the scrimmages start.

I don’t think Lancaster will be a tough out, K&Q took a big hit lick Essex did due to graduation and CB may or may not be be that much improved. Scrappy yes, but not sure they can get the upset vs Sussex. CB did have some big lineman. Can’t remember if they were underclassman or not.

Reactions: trutiger16
While I'm not certain how many games Essex's JV's played last season I believe they won them all with the exception of the King William contest.

Essex has taken a major hit from last season in darn near every position…QB, WRs, RB, OL/DL, DBs and special teams. I’m not sure what’s coming up from jv due to not being able to catch any of their games. Good thing is, the underclassman got in some good playing time against opponents 1st string last year due to most games pretty much being decided around mid 3rd Q. Essex still have a handful of starters sprinkled around and some underclassman that showed they can keep this thing rolling. Guess I will get a better feel for what’s to come once the scrimmages start.

I don’t think Lancaster will be a tough out, K&Q took a big hit lick Essex did due to graduation and CB may or may not be be that much improved. Scrappy yes, but not sure they can get the upset vs Sussex. CB did have some big lineman. Can’t remember if they were underclassman or not.
Essex will still have a say how this season ends. Even if you guys are young , I expect you guys to really be good around mid season.

Reactions: bigneal1985
While I'm not certain how many games Essex's JV's played last season I believe they won them all with the exception of the King William contest.
MaxPreps only showing Essex jv played 4 games and went 3-1.

King William 35 Essex 18
Essex 76 King & Queen 0
Essex 28 Northumberland 0
Essex 20 Westmoreland 0

No sure if that was all the games played or not. I do know they didn’t play a full season. I also noticed that the 4 games listed were all 2 weeks apart.

Essex will still have a say how this season ends. Even if you guys are young , I expect you guys to really be good around mid season.
There’s still some starters here at Essex from last year and talented 2nd string guys from last year. Looking forward to see how this group play.

By the way…prayers going up for 3 former Essex student athletes and their family’s. All 3 just graduated this year. They were all in the same car and had an accident last Tuesday evening. One young man didn’t make it and the other 2 are still in the hospital.

Essex lost quite a bit of talent to graduation. From what I've heard this year's team will be a "bridge" to more success in 2024 and 2025. I've hear they have some pretty good kids who are presently eighth graders.

That’s disappointing that the bleachers won’t be ready in time! Do they have a time frame of when that will be complete?
I haven’t heard anything on when. I drove out to see how far they have gotten. They have the concrete down and that’s it so far. Gotta put up the bleachers, press box, replace the sidewalk that ran behind the bleachers to the concession stand and put the outside stadium fence over by the entrance back up that they took down to do the work.

Now, if you look at the schedule, the Sussex game has become an away game, Jamestown is away, then a bye week, then away at Franklin. Week 5 would be the next home game vs.K&Q…that’s if things are finished. If not, we would play at K&Q. The next 2 games are away and week 8 Oct 13th will be homecoming vs Northumberland. Soooo….week 5 or 8 will be the 1st home game in my opinion. As you know, we’ve gotten a lot of rain in the area over the last couple months. That may have slowed construction.

Reactions: RappriverEHS
That’s a lot to be done, thanks for the update! I was recently out there and it didn’t look like it was anywhere near complete! Much needed updates to the facilities and very glad it is being done but man what a shame that it isn’t complete now that football season is approaching! That’s not fair for the kids and fans to have to travel.

This sounds like the track issue and concerns about hosting games last year?

I will gladly take the home game in Sussex , but on the flip that’s a great investment in the Essex program , those kids deserve it past and present they are the reason for the upgrades. Good Job Trojan !

I will gladly take the home game in Sussex , but on the flip that’s a great investment in the Essex program , those kids deserve it past and present they are the reason for the upgrades. Good Job Trojan !
This might be Sussex’s year to get a little revenge on the Trojans ha ha

Hope so but Essex owns, SUSSEX , Tigers got to take this game as if it’s one and done. Every week is playoffs.

Last edited:
Week 1 can’t get here fast enough, ready for some football! Good luck to the tigers this year and hopefully this won’t be the only meeting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT