ADVERTISEMENT

TC Williams stadium renovation/lighting

The high school and kids deserve lights, it's 2018. But it's not easy to ignore the concerns of the homeowners.

Not an expert with the entire history here, but have been watching the process over the last few weeks. I was always under the impression that it was 2-3 holdout homeowners, but that's not the case. There are a lot more longtime homeowners that don't want them. Most of the time it's people who chose to buy a house near a sports field, airport, shooting range, etc. then complain about noise. And I normally say tough sh*t. But these homeowners were there BEFORE the school was built.

They should have sought help to better craft their argument or maybe even a lawyer for the zoning meeting. They did not understand what information would resonate with the zoning board and instead argued points that the zoning board had no control over or barring on their decision.

The outcome seems inevitable, hope the county ponies up the money and takes extra steps to reduce noise and light pollution for the homeowners.

City council approved the stadium plan (with some amendments) including lighting by a 6-1 vote after a nearly eight-hour hearing.

Being an old timer I have been wondering what has happened to the traditional football power houses up North including TC. I keep looking for Gar-Field, Robinson, Hylton, West Potomac and Annandale but don't see them at States anymore.

Being an old timer I have been wondering what has happened to the traditional football power houses up North including TC. I keep looking for Gar-Field, Robinson, Hylton, West Potomac and Annandale but don't see them at States anymore.
New schools and redistricting

These schools are “close” to the city. Some of the big name talented kids close to DC metro area get recruited and land scholarships to private schools. Go a bit west and you will still find your northern Virginia powerhouse teams. Westfield, Centreville, Battlefield, Stone bridge, Etc...

The plan was for the stadium renovations to be finished sometime in the fall. There is a lawsuit filed by some of the neighbors, and these things usually take longer than planned anyway, so I wouldn't bet on night football in 2019.

Lots of turnover on the Alexandria City Council and School Committee, who knows how committed the newcomers are to the project. Also lots of people pushing for a second high school.

Update from the ACPS website:

UPDATE January 29, 2019
According to the current schedule for the modernization of the Parker-Gray Stadium, construction on the concession stand and ticket booth will begin in late April 2019. Work on the track and field replacement (including the press box, sound system, lights and other elements) will begin after school is out in June.

ACPS is in the process of setting up an initial meeting with the new advisory group.

https://www.acps.k12.va.us/Page/1508

https://alextimes.com/2019/05/judge-sends-t-c-lights-case-to-trial/

Also another ACPS update. Will they need an alternative site for games this fall?

May 6, 2019

An Update on the Modernization of Parker-Gray Stadium at T.C. Williams High School

In October, the City Council approved the modernization of the Parker-Gray Stadium at T.C. Williams High School.

The resolution included many conditions, several of which were aimed at ensuring minimal discomfort to the surrounding neighborhood during the stadium modernization and addressing neighborhood concerns. ACPS and the City are working together to ensure that we are in compliance with all the conditions.

ACPS has continued to move forward with the construction drawings for the stadium modernization and preparation for the permitting process. We were intending to complete the construction work by the end of the summer, however due to the natural back and forth of the permitting and review process, the work will now start this summer instead of the spring.

The work will be comprised of three components:

• Stadium facilities: New ticket booth; concession stand; restrooms
  • Stadium modernization: Track upgrades, sound system; scoreboard; press box
  • Stadium lighting: Egress lighting; field lighting
The athletics field will not be able to be used during the main part of the construction. The Athletics Department is working with our ACPS partners to make sure that all practices and games can be held at neighboring facilities. We apologize in advance for this inconvenience and know that this is not ideal for our athletes. We will keep you updated on these changes and the progress of this project as we get more information.

Last edited:
The plan was for the stadium renovations to be finished sometime in the fall. There is a lawsuit filed by some of the neighbors, and these things usually take longer than planned anyway, so I wouldn't bet on night football in 2019.

Lots of turnover on the Alexandria City Council and School Committee, who knows how committed the newcomers are to the project. Also lots of people pushing for a second high school.
didn't Alexandria have three high schools before consolidation - what would prevent them from going back to three high schools now (TC, GW, Hammond) I ask the question because Richmond did that after consolidation stop making sense because the conditions changed.

didn't Alexandria have three high schools before consolidation - what would prevent them from going back to three high schools now (TC, GW, Hammond) I ask the question because Richmond did that after consolidation stop making sense because the conditions changed.

TC has capacity for about 3,000 students, so there wouldn't be any reason to have three--even if they add a second high school, it would likely be substantially smaller than TC. Also, finding the land & money for one new comprehensive high school would be difficult enough, two would require a miracle.

Last edited:
TC is not playing any home games this year. Field renovation (and lights) will not be done in time.

NBC4 Sports‏Verified account@NBC4Sports
Inside Story:
In what’s believed to be a first in DMV football history,
TC Williams will play their five home games this year
INSIDE on the turf field of the St. James.
First game is Sept 20 vs West Springfield.

D_O1pgFUIAETrao.jpg

@nbcwashington
@TCWSports
@TCWTitans
@TheStJames_

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT