ADVERTISEMENT

There are way too many state champs!!

Oct 27, 2006
This 6A format is crazy. The VHSL has made winning it all too easy. Just a couple years ago, Colonial Forge, Henrico, Norcom, and George Wythe would have all been battling for just one trophy. Now this year they each have one of their own! SMH

Simple:

1A: 0-400 Students
2A:401-750 Students
3A:751-1400 Students
4A:1401+ Students

So a school with 1450 students competes against a school with 3,000 students? I understand the desire to keep things competitive, but that 4A group would be dominated by the same monster schools year after year & the schools in the 1500-1800 range would be lost in the mix.

So 1A is a max 400 student difference in 2A the max difference is 350, but in 3A it can be up to 650 students and in 4A possibly 1600+ difference. That is why we have the system we have there is no easy answer in VA as the populations are spread out around the state. Imagine scheduling for this too.

What was wrong with the old system? You had 3 classifications (A, AA, & AAA). Nothing has changed. The populations have, but to the degree to warrant the drastic changes that took place a couple of years ago.

Please, anyone, give examples of how six classifications has been better than the three that was in place forever. I can start a list of how it is a complete detriment:

1. Teams/schools losing $$$ big-time.
2. Rivalries kaput
3. Travel expenses way up....

Originally posted by dtrt:
What was wrong with the old system? You had 3 classifications (A, AA, & AAA).
The A, AA and AAA classifications were assigned by regions, therefore, a team who was an AA in Loudoun County would have been an AAA team anywhere else in the state.

Also, administrators in the Richmond area had AA teams playing up in AAA because of tradition.

Are there any schools with over 3k students in the state? I honestly dont know, which is why I'm asking.

I'd be fine with a cut off at 2400 for 4A and then a 2401+ for 5A..something to that effect. But then that obviously knocks things back up to 5 divisions and the "why?" questions begin again.

There really is no easy answer for things unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT