ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 1A Boys

G MASTER BLASTER W

VaPreps All District
Aug 30, 2012
I cant find the top 10 at all can someone please help lol I know I'm probably just being a momo and overlooking it but I cant find it. Thanks

No your not overlooking it. Va preps only updated down to 3a this week. I guess 1a and 2a had to suffer because of the big and bad prestigious va preps basketball tournament.

I cant find the top 10 at all can someone please help lol I know I'm probably just being a momo and overlooking it but I cant find it. Thanks
The 1A Top Ten from this past week is below...

1A Hoops Top Ten Here

We had some changes go into effect this past week with the site and more on the way, so some of you may have missed it because it didn't appear on the front page. That should be rectified this week and we have a new update coming on Monday/Tuesday.

Thanks for the update I haven't been able to make it to any games yet but I'm going to try and start making it to some so I'm going to try and start keeping up with it all.

Who is looking like the early favorites so far? I know it's very early in the season but in your own opinions who are the top 3 teams to watch out for?

You can't forget the Altavista Colonels they are playing good basketball right now I know they have a new coach but they are looking good with a 10-2 record.

I can tell you Northumberland and Lancaster are playing some good ball in the old nnd. Once Essex plays some more games they are sure to be a threat as well. There will be one well playing ball team left out of regions.

I'm not as apt at following basketball as I am other sports, so fill me in...Is Honaker generally a competitive basketball school year in year out, or is this one crop of talent in a football dominated area?

Some notable Honaker stats sent in from Head Coach Marcus Dunham this past weekend as the team moved to 14-0...

Tanner Robinette - 25.5PPG, 16.1RPG, 4.5BPG
* School-record for total rebounds for a single game with 28 at Twin Valley

Brett Boyd - 11.5PPG

Hartley Hilton - 11.2PPG

Brandon Sample - 9.5PPG, 5APG, 3SPG

... We ranked Honaker Preseason #1, but didn't do so without some question marks... how would they replace four starters from last season's team that lost to Altavista in the State Championship? Of course, Robinette being back meant a great deal... what gave them the nod is that Dunham has a system where they can play up-tempo and excel, the role players develop + Robinette allows them to execute when the game slows down and is played in the half-court.

Others I considered for the top spot were Radford and George Wythe. Got to see both in the Chance Harman Classic and like what I saw from both, especially Radford. This might be one of Rick Cormany's most complete, deepest teams. Malik Johnson is a pretty special talent that can lead Wythe far, too.

Eastside is the 4th best in my estimation in the West, and if in the East, would have a shot to win that region.

Out of the East - Northumberland, Lancaster, Middlesex were the teams I highlighted at the start. Northumberland got off to a great start until last night's unexpected loss to Mathews. Lancaster's lone blemish to this point was to a Norfolk Collegiate team that's a private school and has 3 next-level players (D-1/D-2 guys). Middlesex hasn't quite achieved to where I thought they would... Essex is always a dangerous out.

Altavista has been the biggest surprise to me to be 10-2 with a new Head Coach and a brand new starting five. Credit to that program, coaching staff and kids to still be contending after so many changes.

The true test will be against Dan river to really see how Altavista is playing this year hope the can pull it out.

I need some information. Radford has played Twin Valley and I assume so has Honaker. How did that match up going? Radford won pretty big but it was a defensive game. Radford didn't play Fort Chiswell but I have got to see that team a few times. Has GW played them? How did that match up go? Radford group is a different this year with 5 Seniors but also 5 freshmen. Radford has had a varied schedule Playing teams from North Carolina and Tennessee. I realize GW has added a couple tough games with Northside and William Byrd. Thanks for any info.

Who is looking like the early favorites so far? I know it's very early in the season but in your own opinions who are the top 3 teams to watch out for?

As for my opinion, Radford, George Wythe, & Honaker are the top 3 teams in the West, and in the West & East.
Radford was going to be good even before they got the big guy from Australia, but with him, that makes them more solid.

George Wythe will get better and better as the season go along. They beat a decent Eastside team by 15 today at UVA-WISE. I think Eastside was ranked about 7th in D1.

Honaker is good, no doubt about that, but depth may be a problem for the Tigers. Robinette is a pretty good player, and his other 4 are not shabby. I think Honaker has surprised folks with their play so far this year, by being able to replace 4 starters, without getting help from Australia.

Who makes the other slot in the final four for the West is any body's guess. Chilhowie is now at 10-2, and playing well with a young team, and Eastside will probably be in the mix come tournament time. Fort Chiswell just may be the dark horse in the field.

Just my take on things at the mid year of the season for D1West.

Last edited:
Don't sleep on Middlesex. They took down Northumberland and Lancaster this week.

Don't sleep on Middlesex. They took down Northumberland and Lancaster this week.
Sounds like Middlesex picked up 2 good wins. The East will put some good teams in the tournament, and Middlesex will probably be in the mix.

Middlesex looked very good this week beating Northumberland by 30 and Lancaster in their backyard by 10. They got 3 players Holmes, Marshall and Johnson and when they're on they can beat anybody.

Not sure what happened to Northumberland in the 2nd half vs. Middlesex. It was a 1-point game at halftime. Score I got for the Middlesex-Lancaster game was 63-59

In going to both Radford-Martinsville games, Radford didnt hit shots the first game at Mavahi except for the fr. point guard and they lost by 20. At Radford they played alot more physical with Martinsville's big man and played good solid D. But the biggest thing is that they hit shots. Had 11 3's, just 3 2 point baskets and hit their free throws to win by three. If they shoot and play D like they did the 2nd game against the Dogs, they will be a very tough out for anybody at the 1A level. Also, the big Australian stepped out and hit 2 3's, so he is not just an inside threat at 6'8".

Yeah, I didn't write off Middlesex, but was sort of scratching my head on their slow start and wondering if ranking them 4th in the preseason was too high until this past week. Looks like they are starting to get it going. That trio of Holmes, Marshall and Johnson can carry them to the title game in 1A-East if they're all clicking.

Could have just about any combination in 1A-East... Middlesex, Northumberland, Lancaster, Altavista and Surry the main ones to watch. Beating whoever comes out of the West - Honaker, Radford, George Wythe and Eastside the most likely candidates - will be a tall order though.

The true test will be against Dan river to really see how Altavista is playing this year hope the can pull it out.
A test, yes. A "true" test, not really. Altavista has struggled against Dan River for years, just look at their record vs. DR during the 3peat. If keeping the game close is what you consider a test then sure, you are correct. But, if losing to DR means they "fail" the test then I'd say it's a rather flawed test.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT