ADVERTISEMENT

VES Taylor McHugh Under the Radar

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Virginia Episcopal point guard Taylor McHugh would be on the top of the Virginia 2015 under recruited list. A smart point guard who makes good decisions, McHugh leadership skills helped him quarterback the football team to a state championship in 2014. While he is not signing a D1 football Letter of Intent, he has plenty of basketball interest but no confirmed D1 offers.

"Patriot League Schools, Southern Conference schools, Big South, some NEC and MAAC schools are recruiting me," McHugh said. "It's hard to take visits because it's in-season and I'm a senior. I'm not really worried about my recruitment right now. Our goal is to win a state championship. I just work on my game everyday and try to focus on defense. I have a lot of time before the second signing period so I'm just trying to make my team better."

McHugh has sacrificed his game for what's best for Virginia Episcopal basketball. He's a point guard that can play the two while defending either position.

"I'm able to play off the ball a little bit score a little bit and do some different things. It's just a matter of committing to play defense and playing hard every time I step out on the floor."

McHugh averaged nearly 10 points, 3.2 assists, and close to two steals per game as a junior last year. This year, he had one of his better scoring games against the Miller School in January scoring 27 points including 7 for 9 from 3-point range.

"There are a lot of schools that are paying attention," Virginia Episcopal head basketball Coach Curtis Staples said. "I'm hoping more coaches will take heed to what he's doing. He's going to help a team at the next level and he will we be a steal for somebody."

Staples knows a little bit about playing in the backcourt. He had a stellar career at the University of Virginia where he had his jersey retired. He held the NCAA Division 1 record for career three-point field goals, at 413 for eight years after his college career was complete. Staples has some advice for the schools who stopped recruiting McHugh.

"They are missing out," Staples said. "The schools that who have passed on him are making a mistake. He's a solid defender, a steady ball-handler and he can shoot the basketball. What more do you want?"

This post was edited on 2/3 11:23 PM by wgarlick

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News