ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Executive Committee meets this month

To vote on out of season practice.
There have been negative effects, according to the proposal, which was submitted by Class 2, Region C.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/hig...cle_5dfdc9f6-18fe-11e9-b3c5-5311a907cdeb.html

I see both sides to this argument. The biggest argument is health it sounds like, injuries that is. In this day and age where there is so much caution and awareness pertaining to football injuries, that is definitely a fuel for the fire.

I can't help but wonder how not having it would impact programs who start building towards championships as soon as their seasons wrap up. I recall postgame interviews from Coach Johnson at Highland Springs and Hall at Manchester along with the players talking about how getting there began a year ago.

Obviously teams won state titles before year round practice but it is something to keep an eye on to see if it helps or hurts programs.

Eric Kolenich‏@EricKolenich Jan 14
The spring state championship games for Class 5 and 6 will leave Henrico Co. for Loudoun in 2020, if the proposal is approved by the VHSL's exec. committee.
Riverside, Rock Ridge and John Champe are scheduled to host.
Deep Run and Glen Allen get them one more year.
#804varsity

Also up for a vote Wednesday is a proposal to increase the maximum number of regular-season baseball and softball games from 20 to 22 plus an invitational tournament which could include a maximum of five games.
The following new sites for 2018-19 state events are up for a vote Wednesday:
  • Class 1, 2 and 3 cross country — Green Hill Park in Roanoke County.
  • Class 1 and 2 golf — Virginia Tech’s River Course.
  • Girls Open golf — Heritage Oaks G.C., Harrisonburg.
  • Class 4, 5 and 6 volleyball — VCU’s Siegel Center.
  • Class 3 and 4 indoor track — Liberty University.
  • Class 1 and 2 spring jubilee — Salem (tennis at Virginia Tech)
  • Class 3 and 4 spring jubilee — Liberty University.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT