ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Master Schedule Update

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
I spoke with a friend within the VHSL this morning who informed me that the master schedule will not be released till after July 1st. That will be followed by the new handbook which will outline the playoff structure for each region.

I spoke with a friend within the VHSL this morning who informed me that the master schedule will not be released till after July 1st. That will be followed by the new handbook which will outline the playoff structure for each region.

The 2017 Master Football Schedule is now available in the VHSL website.

Robinson is back in the Patriot District. Fairfax teams have more games with Prince William & Loudoun teams.

The 2017 Master Football Schedule is now available in the VHSL website.

Robinson is back in the Patriot District. Fairfax teams have more games with Prince William & Loudoun teams.

There are just a few Fairfax-Loudon games (6, if I counted correctly) instead of the 28 Fairfax-Loudon games the past 2 cycles.

The bigger change is the return to 4 groups within each VHSL classification for the playoffs, which is why you see many more Fairfax-PW games than at any time since I have been following football in this area (2001). Previously it was extremely rare for a FFX team to play a PW team, mostly because teams tried to schedule within their district/playoff grouping. The new playoff format (and resulting new districts) are now structured more along an east-west alignment for the teams in the NOVA area that cuts across the county boundary, as opposed to the old north-south arrangement (I am only talking NOVA here, not statewide) that respected the county boundary. The change resulted in a bunch more FFX-PW games, which is both good and bad IMO. You lose some old rivalries, but get teams on the regular season schedule you haven't seen before. It will also mean some of the traditional Fairfax powers that we have normally seen play in the 2d-3rd rounds of the playoffs cannot possibly meet until the state semis or maybe even state finals-depending on how the VHSL pairs the 4 regions. I have yet to hear anything about that.

New handbook is up. Appears to be no changes to playoffs...
I gotta believe that is a mistake on the VHSL's part. We all know there are 4 regions in each class yet all I see is wording referring to two regions and seeding being 1-16... Obviously a reference to the previous structure.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Thank you Danny. I went looking and saw the same thing. I thought I was either totally mis-reading the rule, or the wording had not been updated. (Or that I was just being my usual stupid self).

I do like the new classification chart on the web site. You can click on a header and change the grouping to read it however you desire. I did notice that they used the word "Class" and the number instead of 1A, 2a etc. But virtually everywhere else in the Handbook they referred to it as Group 1A, etc. Takes time, I guess?

Thank you Danny. I went looking and saw the same thing. I thought I was either totally mis-reading the rule, or the wording had not been updated. (Or that I was just being my usual stupid self).

I do like the new classification chart on the web site. You can click on a header and change the grouping to read it however you desire. I did notice that they used the word "Class" and the number instead of 1A, 2a etc. But virtually everywhere else in the Handbook they referred to it as Group 1A, etc. Takes time, I guess?

Per my contact within the VHSL, they are still updating the handbook and new website so I would say the best thing to do is to just keep checking.

That was a extremely well written article by Brad Franklin about Spencer from Glouchester. That kid has tremendous arm strength, but his form was a little suspect, with respect to playing at the next level. (Bleeding Navy has thought me a few things). I think I see why some coaches want him for something other than a QB. I was impressed that the young man is standing his ground and really wants to go where he can at least stay on the offensive side of the ball.

And 10-4 on the Handbook being a work in progress. Just tell your contact to hurry up and get the link to the 2017 master schedule loaded.

I heard there would be changes too, but I can only go by what the hand book says. It would be nice if some note was made that it wasn't final. Schools depend on the hand book to interrupt many rules. About 20 days until the season starts, would be great to know how playoffs work before first game is played...

I agree. Not very professional. Maybe I'm being a little overly melodramatic, but we constantly remind each other and the kids things like, attention to detail, finish the play, set the example, live up to expectations, etc.

Hummm?

Four days until the season starts, still no idea on how playoff seeding works. Automatic berths for district winners? Cross bracketing between Northern/Occoquan regions? Why is this a mystery?

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Four days until the season starts, still no idea on how playoff seeding works. Automatic berths for district winners? Cross bracketing between Northern/Occoquan regions? Why is this a mystery?

Good organizations don't to this. Just saying.

Apologies for reviving an old topic, but I still can't get a firm answer on playoff seeding. I was told that for Class 6, Regions C & D would be combined for a 16-team playoff, instead of the separate 8-team playoffs that are standard for almost all other regions around the state. Any official ruling yet?

That's what I heard from someone who sits on the committee(?) up here in the north. In terms of an "official" announcement by ways of VHSL updating a PDF on their website, not yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT