ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL To Allow Private Schools

A hot mess is on the horizon. I'm interested to see how the VHSL handles 3 things. Classifying the Privates; Recruiting and what rules will be implemented; 5th year of eligibility. Has to be some sort of rules applied and people to check on these private schools and make sure they are following the rules.
I know the law and money made it impossible for VHSL to keep this from happening but I can't see how this is going to be positive for any of the public schools. The privates will, in all likelyhood, get their cake and eat it too. LCA has plenty of revenue, it's a joke that they even filed that lawsuit. LCA has been cherry picking players from Seminole district schools for the past 10 years and now they are going to be asking to play in that district, I hope no one in the Seminole agrees to play them in any sport.

Some of the concerns you mention are my very same concerns. I know in the article it mentioned that Liberty said they would abide by the rules of the VHSL but you have public schools that recruit from other schools and private schools do as well so you know they will continue to do so. I don't know that the VHSL has the resources to enforce that as much as it should be. Also, the reclassifying for the 5th year of eligibility is a biggie that must be addressed, if not, they will be at a gross advantage.

Here is the news release from the VHSL:

The Virginia High School League (VHSL) and Liberty Christian Academy (LCA) jointly announce that they have reached a settlement of their antitrust lawsuit. The VHSL Executive Committee approved the terms of the agreement in a meeting on May 7, and today the agreement passed a review by the full membership of the VHSL at a special meeting held at Piedmont Virginia Community College in Charlottesville. LCA’s Board of Trustees likewise approved the agreement.

As a result of the agreement, all non-boarding private schools in Virginia will be permitted to apply for membership in the VHSL, and LCA will join the VHSL and compete as a regular member eligible for playoffs starting in August of 2015. LCA will eventually have the full benefits of required scheduling against member schools in the Seminole District. Initially, this requirement will yield for previous scheduling. LCA will be eligible to compete in playoffs within its appropriate conference (Conference 23 which includes Amherst, Charlottesville, E. C. Glass, Jefferson Forest and George Washington of Danville) and region (the 4A West).

Any private school that joins the VHSL must meet the same individual participant eligibility requirements and regulations as public school students currently meet with minor changes and adjustments.

Specifically, the transfer rules apply whenever a student transfers from one member school to another, but do not apply when a student transferring to a member private school attended a non-member school (to include home school, out-of-state, and non-member private school) for at least the previous year. Member private schools have the option of adopting the public school attendance zone where their campus is located or adding one additional contiguous attendance zone and being subject to a multiplier for the playoffs. LCA will use the Lynchburg City attendance zones (Heritage and E.C. Glass High Schools) with a multiplier of 1.5 on LCA’s high school enrollment number to set its classification. Single gender private schools that join the VHSL will have their enrollment doubled for classification purposes. VHSL amended its rules to make competitions with non-member private schools count the same as those against member public schools in its football rating system that determines seeding for football playoffs starting in the fall of 2015.

John Patterson, Liberty Christian Academy Superintendent said, “LCA is very pleased with this resolution which we believe will benefit all high school students and their families in Virginia. We very much look forward to becoming a member of the Seminole District."

Ken Tilley, VHSL Executive Director said, “The VHSL is gratified to reach an agreement in this case, and we are excited to focus our attention on meeting the League’s mission of service to its member schools and providing lifetime opportunities for students through participation in sports and academic activities.”

Someone help me out. In reading this press release. The part I've underlined and bolded, I'm wondering does this mean that any student that attends LCA but doesn't live in Lynchburg City is ineligible? I'm guessing if they decide to say, hey we want to include Jefferson Forest and Brookville attendance zones, they must multiply their school enrollment by such and such number to "even" the playing field. This would mean the school would play up to a higher class than the current 4A they are placed in. This is how I'm interpreting, someone please let me know if I've got it wrong.

Is LCA located in the Heritage or Glass zone? They chose to take both zones and the 1.5 multiplier. I think LCA has 804 students, so 804 x 1.5=1206, which places them in 4A. Students outside of the city of Lynchburg must follow VHSL transfer rules if they wish to attend LCA. 5th year student-athletes are not allowed in the VHSL, so they should not be allowed to play at LCA.

This looks like a good deal for the VHSL. Not many private schools are going to be interested in joining under those terms.

ADVERTISEMENT