ADVERTISEMENT

VirginiaPreps.com's Preseason Top Ten Rankings

Comical. I am a Gate City and John Battle fan and can not stand Richland's, but sometimes absurdity simply has to be called out. Richlands returns most of the entire team and this is a team that was a nailbiter from playing Glenvar as they lost to Wilson Memorial in a toss up. They should be the number two team in your rankings and I find it even comical that my team, Gate City, ranks ahead of them. When you come out with a poll like this, at least do some research.

Comical. I am a Gate City and John Battle fan and can not stand Richland's, but sometimes absurdity simply has to be called out. Richlands returns most of the entire team and this is a team that was a nailbiter from playing Glenvar as they lost to Wilson Memorial in a toss up. They should be the number two team in your rankings and I find it even comical that my team, Gate City, ranks ahead of them. When you come out with a poll like this, at least do some research.

90429_subitem_full.gif

Wow, guy! Maybe drink a nice soothing tea and relax a little. If Richlands proves to be as good as you say, they will certainly make a move up in the rankings.

There was a discussion about Richlands as we researched (yes, we do that) and our small school guy felt that they were on the cusp, but should have to work their way in.

I have had no problem in the past, nor will I have any in the future, of making changes (sometimes big ones) as the teams start playing.

Sorry that our rankings offended your sensibilities.

Who is your "small school guy"??? Does he live west of Roanoke???

After looking at the rankings, I think he just picked school names out of SWVA to fill his Top 10...

Facepalmorangflipped.png

If you and oneforthehokies would like to be a part of naming the top ten weekly, I'd be happy to have your knowledge included.

Click the email link in my signature to get ahold of me so that we can make arrangements.

90429_subitem_full.gif

Wow, guy! Maybe drink a nice soothing tea and relax a little. If Richlands proves to be as good as you say, they will certainly make a move up in the rankings.

There was a discussion about Richlands as we researched (yes, we do that) and our small school guy felt that they were on the cusp, but should have to work their way in.

I have had no problem in the past, nor will I have any in the future, of making changes (sometimes big ones) as the teams start playing.

Sorry that our rankings offended your sensibilities.

We are a team that went toe to toe with that Wilson Memorial team, that completely shut down their high powered offense. We return 18 players with major playing time, plus countless others that saw action in many games. We knocked out Gate City and Marion from the playoffs last year. And you still leave us out? This is absolutely comical.

I don't think we should be number 1, that titles goes to Glenvar until they prove otherwise. But to leave us out of the top ten completely is just mind boggling, honestly.

Reactions: 2027
We are a team that went toe to toe with that Wilson Memorial team, that completely shut down their high powered offense. We return 18 players with major playing time, plus countless others that saw action in many games. We knocked out Gate City and Marion from the playoffs last year. And you still leave us out? This is absolutely comical.

I don't think we should be number 1, that titles goes to Glenvar until they prove otherwise. But to leave us out of the top ten completely is just mind boggling, honestly.

If you'd like to share your knowledge with me on what the top ten should be, please feel free to join the others in emailing me every Sunday morning with your weekly rankings and reasons why.

I will incorporate that knowledge into our top ten.

Thanks

Guys, RELAX. It is a pre-season poll. Not 1 team is making the playoffs because they are or aren't ranked. Look at last years and see where those teams finished

Reactions: Mannschild
In VA Preps defense, RHS did lose starters at QB, RB, and WR/DB so on paper it could appear to be a down year. But, as we all know, the Blues don't rebuild, we just reload

And you might not again this year...

And somehow, the world will keep turning.

I think that some of you guys are mixed up. I don't take any of the insults to heart. I don't stake any type of reputation on our preseason rankings. We've been wrong before and we'll be wrong again in the future. You're not going to make me feel bad, incompetent or dumb.

We talked about Richlands, we like Richands and we wish Richlands luck this season. If they win the state championship, they'll get the top spot in the final poll; the one that matters.

For the guys who have a problem with our rankings, we've offered you a voice in the system on a weekly basis, an opportunity to make a "bad" situation better. I am sure that I cannot and will not offer you more than that. Your continued sniping will not change the rankings or better the situation.

Reactions: kw85 and Mannschild
In VA Preps defense, RHS did lose starters at QB, RB, and WR/DB so on paper it could appear to be a down year. But, as we all know, the Blues don't rebuild, we just reload

They've got kids at QB. They brought in kids to fill the RB and WR spots...Blankenship from Tazewell and a kid from across the line at River View.

The rest of the state can go ahead and overlook them...us folks over here in SWVA know not too...

And somehow, the world will keep turning.

I think that some of you guys are mixed up. I don't take any of the insults to heart. I don't stake any type of reputation on our preseason rankings. We've been wrong before and we'll be wrong again in the future. You're not going to make me feel bad, incompetent or dumb.

We talked about Richlands, we like Richands and we wish Richlands luck this season. If they win the state championship, they'll get the top spot in the final poll; the one that matters.

For the guys who have a problem with our rankings, we've offered you a voice in the system on a weekly basis, an opportunity to make a "bad" situation better. I am sure that I cannot and will not offer you more than that. Your continued sniping will not change the rankings or better the situation.

Well, if you're supposed to be the "statewide authority" on high school sports, you really should do a little more homework, or at least talk to people in areas that you have no idea about, before you go releasing a "statewide" Top 10...just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions...

Good luck with the forum...

They've got kids at QB. They brought in kids to fill the RB and WR spots...Blankenship from Tazewell and a kid from across the line at River View.

The rest of the state can go ahead and overlook them...us folks over here in SWVA know not too...

For well over a decade, we have had links all over our site asking local people to contact us to get involved to help us out with every section of the state. During that time, I have not received a single email from any person living in and following football in SWVA.

We will be releasing 17 more top tens and I have invited three local "authorities" to participate, including you.

I really don't know more than I could do besides that.

If would like to offer up any other or better solutions, I'm 100% listening.

I have 5 teams I want to add, nobody else knows they are any good but I am from one of the schools and they will be AWESOME. You didn't have any of my 5 teams on your list so I think I should feel disrespected. LOL WOW guys

I have 5 teams I want to add, nobody else knows they are any good but I am from one of the schools and they will be AWESOME. You didn't have any of my 5 teams on your list so I think I should feel disrespected. LOL WOW guys

Here in the Valley, I think many will disagree with having Wilson Memorial as a top five team. They had an amazing streak for three years and it culminated in a near miss in Salem, but that streak was fueled by having one incredible class that steadily built to its peak performance. I don't profess to know everyone on their roster, but it appears that they were virtually wiped out. When we start discussing the Shenandoah race this year, I don't think I will even be able to put them in the top half of that, much less consider them a state contender.

When we start discussing the Shenandoah race this year, I don't think I will even be able to put them in the top half of that,
I'm not saying that Wilson should be ranked that high, but besides Riverheads and maybe ER, who would you have above Wilson in the Shenandoah. I know that Gap & Luray are going to be better, but I can't imagine that Wilson will be in the lower half of the Shenandoah.

Stuarts Draft, Riverheads, East Rockingham, and Luray would be my projected top half of the Shenandoah District

Who all did Luray lose? If not a lot I honestly see them as my front runner in the district.

Followed by RHS, Wilson, & East Rock

10-16-2015. Can't wait

For well over a decade, we have had links all over our site asking local people to contact us to get involved to help us out with every section of the state. During that time, I have not received a single email from any person living in and following football in SWVA..

Because they are all over at my webplace or the Mountain District forum. Read my board, folks from SWVA don't come over here because all you do is cater to the part of the state east of Roanoke.

Ain't nobody got time for dat...

Because they are all over at my webplace or the Mountain District forum. Read my board, folks from SWVA don't come over here because all you do is cater to the part of the state east of Roanoke.

Ain't nobody got time for dat...

Your board is great, congratulations on all your success.

I hope that someday in the future, people from that part of the state will start cooperating with us as much as the people from around the rest of the state do. We can only be as good as the information that the coaches and the local experts provide to us.

I personally emailed every coach in the state six times asking them to complete our 2015 survey. We've never refused a single coach in the state a story that they've brought to our attention.

I ask again, what is your solution? What, exactly, would you like me and my staff to do more than we already do?

Who did you email at Graham???

Graham is one of 53 schools (out of 317) that is blank in my database. I've searched their school website and there is no contact information for the coach on the site that I could find.

When that happens, I ask the other coaches in the state to help me with contact information, if they can. The original number of blank contacts was 76, but that helped me get it down to 53.

If you have a solution for that issue, or any other around the Class 2A rankings or coverage of SWVA, please post.

Here in the Valley, I think many will disagree with having Wilson Memorial as a top five team. They had an amazing streak for three years and it culminated in a near miss in Salem, but that streak was fueled by having one incredible class that steadily built to its peak performance. I don't profess to know everyone on their roster, but it appears that they were virtually wiped out. When we start discussing the Shenandoah race this year, I don't think I will even be able to put them in the top half of that, much less consider them a state contender.

Ive been living in this area the last 8 years and wilson made their first appearance in the state semi's when this past group were in 8th grade.

I think I would have to agree with Gladiators O1 that the top half of the Shenandoah this year will be Riverheads, Luray, East Rock, and Stuarts Draft in one order or another. One thing is for sure....if Wilson does have another successful season it will be a Coach of the Year performance for Major, considering their losses.

2Up2DownNole

If by this group you mean the group who is now seniors you are right. But when the past group was in 8th grade we didn't make the playoffs

5 years ago we were AA and missed playoffs at 8-2. Following that year we became 2A and made 4 straight trips to the semi finals. 3 losses to Goochland and a win over Richlands.

I knew it wouldn't take the Riverheads faithful long to jump on here and downgrade Wilson. This is the 2A boards not 1A. Go question those rankings. You are too high in 1A. Knowing your roster quite well, you actually lost more critical players than we did. You return Agnor and a great system. Maybe throw in a good kicker and the complete love of the local media, (staunton sports writers).

Most of us are surprised that Wilson is rated that high in preseason. Preseason polls mean nothing and I for one was really happy about flying under the radar and working out some of the kinks that need to be worked on early without having a target on our backs. Many of these teams on this list will move up and down and I am surprised that Richlands and R.E. Lee are not on this list.

With all the success of Wilson Football being credited to the past graduating class, this is the first time in history that the kids who were not seniors got any type of recognition from anyone. Our graduating class will be missed, but they alone were not the sole reason for our success.

A little history of Wilson football.
Wilson has not had a losing season in 10 years, playing a difficult schedule and 2 of those years in 3A.
As Trevor stated, we went 8-2 in a year that not a single player on last years team was on.
A few years ago, we had a J.V. team go 5-5 that ended up having 4 All-State and 6 All District players on that roster.
Wilson does not build its JV team. If you are a Freshman and can help varsity in any way, you are pulled up.
Against Luray last year, we had 5 starters out, 3 of them Offensive Linemen. 4 freshman were called up and one started at center the entire rest of the year including the state championship game.
We lost a running back last year for a playoff game and had an underclassman run for almost 150 yards.
We lost an All-State Defensive End during the playoffs for 3 quarters, an underclassman filled the spot quite nicely.
We lost one of our best players at linebacker and fullback for three games last year. If not for the injury, he probably would have gotten post season honors. His spot was filled by quite well by an underclassman.
Only 2 players on the entire roster went both ways. Not all 22 were seniors. Believe it or not, Wilson actually does educate Jrs, sophs, and even freshmen.
The leading tackler on the team returns. He might have actually been the best player on the team.
A 2 time All-District lineman never got the chance to play defense until late last year, he returns.
There is a huge chip on the shoulder of many of these kids. I would not be surprised at all if a few Freshmen do not step in and play big roles this next year.
There is one major area of concern that Wilson must fill for us to be competitive.

Knowing what R.E. Lee, Richlands and Glenvar return, I do not see Wilson being at that level yet. I have no idea what the season will look like. If Wilson gets hit by injuries like last year, they do not have the depth that they had so it could get tough. As of now, I would not have us in the top 5. That's why you play the games boys!!

In my opinion, R.E. Lee is the best team in the area. With a new head coach, they should make a lot of noise. Draft and Gap are going to be much better as well. Outside of Lee, I see the rest even until the season starts out.

Even though I believe Wilson is rated higher than I would have us, it looks like someone may have actually done a little research.

Sorry Riverheads, we ain't going anywhere. See ya October 23.

Sounds like to me that we agree more than we disagree. We all seem to think that VA Preps has Wilson rated too high. Now just how far they will drop down the ladder remains to be seen. As I said, if they do have another successful or even just a competitive year, then Major will get my vote for Coach of the Year. I am basing my opinion on the question of how you can have that kind of backfield all graduate at the same time and remain at your same level.

As for Riverheads, if you will read my post on the 1-A board, I for one see a tough early road for them and Casto may have to do HIS best coaching job as well as Major possibly doing his. As much as we would all like to see RHS and WM continue to dominate the local football scene, something will have to give eventually for one or the other and probably both.

I absolutely love the rivalry between Wilson Memorial and Riverheads! As an outsider, I think both schools have alot to be proud of!! You know Wilson will be well coached and play some hard nosed football. Good luck to both Riverheads and Wilson this year.

I am actually looking forward to a matchup that is kind of under the radar. Goochland will travel to R.E Lee this year which should be a pretty good matchup! Cumberland dropped Goochland and left an opening and was filled by R.E. Lee.....

Graham is one of 53 schools (out of 317) that is blank in my database. I've searched their school website and there is no contact information for the coach on the site that I could find.

When that happens, I ask the other coaches in the state to help me with contact information, if they can. The original number of blank contacts was 76, but that helped me get it down to 53.

If you have a solution for that issue, or any other around the Class 2A rankings or coverage of SWVA, please post.

How many of the other 52 schools that you have no contact for are from SWVA???

I absolutely love the rivalry between Wilson Memorial and Riverheads! As an outsider, I think both schools have alot to be proud of!! You know Wilson will be well coached and play some hard nosed football. Good luck to both Riverheads and Wilson this year.

I am actually looking forward to a matchup that is kind of under the radar. Goochland will travel to R.E Lee this year which should be a pretty good matchup! Cumberland dropped Goochland and left an opening and was filled by R.E. Lee.....

Yes, it is a great rivalry!! Even though we are neighbors and friends, we really do dislike each other during football season lol. I would love to be able to catch your game against Lee. That should be a great one! Lee is loaded this year, and teams better look out if their new coach gets them to play to their potential and eliminate the mistakes that have killed them in the past. Attitude and coaching has been the issue with that school, not talent.

I had my dates mixed up. We shall see eachother the 23rd in Fishersville!

Our backfield seems to be the biggest question people keep bringing up. That is not a worry for me. We have Trent returning as well as Hinton who most people aren't aware of.

For me Wilsons biggest question mark will be in the back end of the defense.

I think we will be just fine though.

G-Dog I hope to see the game against Lee! A man I work with, his nephew? is Reid

Trevor, Reid is a senior this year and has looked really good with the 7 on 7 drills we have had. Having him return as a 4th year QB playing varsity is great to have. We will miss Jordan Jefferson but we have alot of the backfield from last year returning.

WilsonFootball, I have heard that Lee is loaded with talent as well. I like the fact that we were able to get a game against a quality opponent! No offense to Cumberland but playing them recently was not good for either team. Good luck to the Green Hornets this year!!!

I get to hear about Reid all the time. The guy I work with graduated from Wilson back in the day, but is related to him so I told him I would keep him updated on you guys.

Good luck to you guys as well! Maybe we will see each other around!

Reactions: G-DOG2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT