ADVERTISEMENT

VirginiaPreps.com's Preseason Top Ten Rankings

On the 2-A board and I assume the higher ones as well, people are commenting all over the place about these rankings. So let's get some dialogue going on 1-A!

I will start with a comment about Riverheads. The Gladiators will have high expectations again this year despite some significant losses. But they have a talented corps of running backs returning and at the very least they should be an entertaining team to watch and should put some points on the board.

Looking at the schedule, they start off with four pretty tough games in which they could realistically go anywhere from 4-0 to 0-4. They open with that much-anticipated, first ever Lee High game, then have to be ready for a trip to Covington, a team on the rise the next week. They then get a bye before hosting explosive Waynesboro the next week. In week four (or five, depending on how you look at it) they open the Shenandoah schedule at Luray, a team that some of us expect to challenge for the title this year.

Coach Casto's pattern over the years has been to get more out of his team as the season progresses, but this will be one year in which they will have to grow up fast. Those first four games will NOT be easy!

The Lee game should be very interesting. I wish it wasn't at the same time as our opening game because I would love to see it.

We know exactly what you guys will bring to the table, especially with a talented backfield returning. What makes this game so hard to predict is none of really know what to expect from this Lee team as it now heads in a new coaching direction. I also think RHS struggles a little bit more against teams like Lee with a lot of speed. That being said they still normally pull out the win with toughness and composure which seemed to be a problem for Lee teams of the past. So I see it as a toss up so far.

I think you guys will take care of Covington, then comes the Waynesboro game. I will clearly have a better opinion of that game come week 3, but one thing I do know is Waynesboro seems to be one of the few teams around here (as well as Wilson, an I'd say East Rock) who have shown that they aren't really afraid of the big red and play them in close games. Will they continue to ride that wave of momentum from last year? Turnovers always seem to haunt them against you guys.

Then the Luray game I also see as a toss up. I'm not sure what all they lost, but I don't think it was a lot, which is why I have you guys and them as the two favorites in our district.

All in all it should be a good year for you guys. We will see you on October 16th!

I don't have the schedule in front of me but you said see you on October 16th and your buddy over on the 2-A board said we will see you on October 23rd. So which is it.........do we get to beat you TWICE this year??? (Been there, done that!)

They were correct! I looked at the schedule wrong. We shall see you on the 23rd my friend!
I also know a thing or two about beating you guys twice in the same season!(2013 ring a bell)

All in all you guys should be a very high seed come playoff time in 1A. I look forward to seeing how you guys may match up to some of those teams (Essex, AltaVista)

On the 2-A board and I assume the higher ones as well, people are commenting all over the place about these rankings. So let's get some dialogue going on 1-A!

I will start with a comment about Riverheads. The Gladiators will have high expectations again this year despite some significant losses. But they have a talented corps of running backs returning and at the very least they should be an entertaining team to watch and should put some points on the board.

Looking at the schedule, they start off with four pretty tough games in which they could realistically go anywhere from 4-0 to 0-4. They open with that much-anticipated, first ever Lee High game, then have to be ready for a trip to Covington, a team on the rise the next week. They then get a bye before hosting explosive Waynesboro the next week. In week four (or five, depending on how you look at it) they open the Shenandoah schedule at Luray, a team that some of us expect to challenge for the title this year.

Coach Casto's pattern over the years has been to get more out of his team as the season progresses, but this will be one year in which they will have to grow up fast. Those first four games will NOT be easy!

Consensus Rankings

I'd also agree. I like Luray's chances this year to be in the Top 15 in the state in 1A if not the Top 10

Sounds like Radford will be improved.

Is Galax supposed to be better, worse, or about the same as last year?

Don't agree with auburn in top 10, galax will push deep into playoffs

Auburn is a nice story, I am a Coach Turner fan, but they are not in the top 8 of the west.
I don't see why not Ed. Their off. line will ave about 250 this year and Nelson should be at his best as a junior. Returning senior QB in Light. If their secondary can improve they could beat some good teams.

Auburn will have to beat teams like Parry McClure and Radford if they are even going to be a real contender in the playoffs

Charles City Panthers will be contenders this year. The team Is full of talented upcoming juniors. Team was very successful agaist Surry tonight......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT