Victory Christian at Quantico HS

Friday
Hampton Roads at Greenbrier Christian
Kenston Forest at Chincoteague HS
North Cross at St Anne's-Belfield
Roanoke Catholic at Fuqua
Sidwell Friends at Potomac
St Albans at Paul VI
St John Paul the Great at Woodbridge HS (Del)
St Christopher at Fork Union Prep
Virginia Episcopal at Hargrave Military
Woodberry Forest at Collegiate

Saturday
Atlantic Shores at Norfolk Academy
Benedictine at Georgetown Prep (Md.)
Bishop Ireton at Flint Hill
Bishop Sullivan at Trinity Episcopal
Blessed Sacrament-Huguenot at Blue Ridge
Episcopal at St. Stephen's & St. Agnes
Fishburne Military at Massanutten Military
Gonzaga at Bishop O'Connell
Isle of Wightat Broadwater
Southern HS-Garrett (Md.) at Randolph-Macon

Looking forward to see how the Roanoke Catholic @ Fuqua game goes. Game will have big implications in the D4 playoff seeding and could determine home field advantage. D4 appears to be the closest and most competitive division among the top contenders (Fuqua, Roanoke, IWA and Richmond Christian). Broadwater could make their own statement this weekend by upsetting IWA. Interesting weekend for D4 football!

D3 also has some key mid season matchups. Top seed Shores could almost wrap up the top seed with a win at D1 Norfolk Academy. 2nd seed, but overwhelming favorite to steal D3 title, NSA has a bye. 3rd ranked North Cross has tough matchup with D2 powerhouse STAB. Covenant who is 4th ranked by VISAA (not sure how after being beaten handily by VES and Christchurch who are 7th and 8th respectively) also has a bye. The best matchup on paper is the HRA @ GCA game, who are both tied at the 5th seed in D3 with exact same records. The winner of the GCA/HRA game should jump into 4th seed and the loser will see its chance at making the playoff diminish greatly.

In D2 top seed Trinity Episcopal will be hosting Bishop Sullivan, who will be playing without 2 senior starters who were ejected from their last game. Trinity should win this one easily. Fishburne and Blue Ridge should also win and keep their playoff chances alive.

Reactions: ncsraider21
I'm pretty sure Victory Christian's football team folded before the season. The reason I say this is because Quantico, Rappahannock County and Massanutten were all originally supposed to play them (Rapp Co twice) and now Rappahannock County's schedule shows them playing Quantico this week and next week and then playing Massanutten to end the season. None of their schedules shows VCA anymore.

I'm pretty sure Victory Christian's football team folded before the season. The reason I say this is because Quantico, Rappahannock County and Massanutten were all originally supposed to play them (Rapp Co twice) and now Rappahannock County's schedule shows them playing Quantico this week and next week and then playing Massanutten to end the season. None of their schedules shows VCA anymore.

Yes, Victory Christian's football program folded before the season. They let schools on their schedule know back in August...Not sure why none of the schools have updated their schedules...

Looking forward to see how the Roanoke Catholic @ Fuqua game goes. Game will have big implications in the D4 playoff seeding and could determine home field advantage. D4 appears to be the closest and most competitive division among the top contenders (Fuqua, Roanoke, IWA and Richmond Christian). Broadwater could make their own statement this weekend by upsetting IWA. Interesting weekend for D4 football!

D3 also has some key mid season matchups. Top seed Shores could almost wrap up the top seed with a win at D1 Norfolk Academy. 2nd seed, but overwhelming favorite to steal D3 title, NSA has a bye. 3rd ranked North Cross has tough matchup with D2 powerhouse STAB. Covenant who is 4th ranked by VISAA (not sure how after being beaten handily by VES and Christchurch who are 7th and 8th respectively) also has a bye. The best matchup on paper is the HRA @ GCA game, who are both tied at the 5th seed in D3 with exact same records. The winner of the GCA/HRA game should jump into 4th seed and the loser will see its chance at making the playoff diminish greatly.

In D2 top seed Trinity Episcopal will be hosting Bishop Sullivan, who will be playing without 2 senior starters who were ejected from their last game. Trinity should win this one easily. Fishburne and Blue Ridge should also win and keep their playoff chances alive.

I agree. Tonight's RCS vs. Fuqua game has major implications for playoffs and seeding purposes. Interestingly, Fuqua could find themselves on the outside looking in. Yes, they are ranked #1 right now in D4, but they have a brutal schedule the rest of the season. Fuqua plays RCS tonight, Isle of Wight next week, then North Cross, then Atlantic Shores, and they finish with Broadwater. The only sure win for the rest of their schedule appears to be Broadwater. RCS, on the other hand, doesn't exactly have it easy...but easier than Fuqua. RCS plays Fuqua tonight, then Richmond Christian, then Blessed Sacrament, and finishes with Kenston Forest. The only really tough test (besides Fuqua) for RCS will be Richmond Christian. It appears that Isle of Wight and Richmond Christian have the much easier schedules from here on out. It's going to be a great last half of the season with basically every game being extremely important.

Yes, Victory Christian's football program folded before the season. They let schools on their schedule know back in August...Not sure why none of the schools have updated their schedules...

And to follow up, Quantico won the game over Rappahannock County last night 35-7.

And to follow up, Quantico won the game over Rappahannock County last night 35-7.

With that win that puts Quantico knocking on the door for the #4th seed even though they've only play 4 games that count. They end up with a win-able game against Northampton and then a toss up game with Grace Christian. They also have another game with Rappahannock County, but from my understanding the second game doesn't count against a teams rankings.

They could really throw a wrench in the D-IV playoffs. It's very possible a very good team could get left out.

Quantico is not knocking anyone out of the playoffs. They have 9 scheduled games. The games against the 2 home school teams do not count in the VISAA system and neither does Grace Christian. That leaves them with 6 games and 2 of those are against Rappahannock and only 1 will be used in the rankings. That leaves them with only 5 games recognized by VISAA, so I believe they do not meet the minimum game requirements to be eligible for playoffs.

In my opinion, Quantico should be considered a public school anyway. I know they're funded by the DoD, but that money originates from our tax money. Therefore it *should* make them a public school and thus put them in 1A in the VHSL.

There is no minimum game requirement for VISAA playoffs. Quantico will be considered based on the five countable games that they play. That being said, based on their opponents, I would say their playoff hopes were dashed the moment the clock read "0:00" at the end of their game with Richmond Christian. With the teams they play and the possible points they can reap from their wins, they really had to go undefeated to have an average high enough to contend (unless the whole division was just really down this year, which it isn't). The teams they have beaten have won a combined 1 game. None of Rappahannock County's games for the rest of the season count in the VISAA points system, so that won't give Quantico any boost going forward. The one other team they have left to play for points (Northampton) has also won one game. Even with the loss last night, Fuqua's way ahead of Quantico, and even if Richmond Christian loses to Catholic, I think they will finish ahead of Quantico. Though not a mathematical lock, I predict that the top four teams in D-IV this past week will be our four playoff teams. It's just a question of seeding.

And state-funded public schools (like those in the VHSL) operate in a completely different reality from schools funded by the federal government (like DoD schools and schools for the deaf). State-funded schools are guaranteed (with a few exceptions) the enrollment of all the students who live in their zone-- this guarantees them a certain baseline of talent. Federal schools do not have that guarantee or that baseline, not even close to that enjoyed by a VHSL 1A school. Quantico is a member of a VISAA-recognized conference (though their conference does not sponsor football)-- there is no practical or competitive reason not to allow them to participate in VISAA competition.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT