ADVERTISEMENT

What the proper way to appeal a play

X-Spy

VaPreps All Region
May 31, 2002
I watch an appeal play last night, and the play was not done the way I thought I was taught to do back in the prehistoric days. Thus I am thinking the rules might have changed.

We were taught that once the ball was marked for play for the next play, the pitcher would step off the mound and toss the ball to the base that was not touched by the runner and then the player was called out.

Last night the coach comes on the field, he appeals to the ump and the ump called the player out with none of the stepping off the rubber that occured in days gone by.

Is that how it is done now a days?

Also the very next play, the third base coach in stopping a player from heading home actually stopped him physically, and the runner returned to the third base. I thought that was not a legal move. What is the proper ruling there.

I am trying to make sure I understand the rules correctly.

Assuming the game you are referencing was played under Federation rules...appeal was changed several years ago and can be done either on the "live ball" or on the "dead ball." Smart coaches are going to appeal after asking for time so runners will not move up during the appeal. Additionally, it is not necessary to throw or run the ball over to the base in question. All the defense has to do is tell the umpire what they are appealing. Really takes alot of the nonsense out of the equation.

Nearly every different rule set handles appeals differently. The one you described above sounds like current LL.
In the old days Federation was like MLB.

There is a penalty for assisting the runner (an out) but the umpire has to see it happen. Hard to see action at all four bases when multiple runners are involved in a two-umpire crew.
This post was edited on 4/28 1:34 PM by Jimsthman
This post was edited on 4/28 1:34 PM by Jimsthman

the worst call or non call I ever witnessed was in softball where a runner tripped over 3rd base. the coach picked her up, turned her around and pushed her toward home plate. Her run was difference in an extra inning game. the umpire saw the entire play and never called anything. when the coach questioned the play, the umpire lied and said he did not see it. if he did not see it, why he he call her safe on initial play.

One of the best lines I ever heard from a coach when a ump told him he didn't see it:

"That's the reason why we pay you 75 dollars to see things"

Thought it was funny myself, but the ump tossed the coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT