ADVERTISEMENT

Why isn't anyone talking about this team on here?

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
All I know are the scores that I've seen, but is this team for real?

Freedom (Woodbridge) 76 Osbourn Park 21
Freedom (Woodbridge) 54, Stonewall Jackson-Manassas 0
Freedom (Woodbridge) 58, Lake Taylor 7
Freedom (Woodbridge) 64, Osbourn 0

The one that got my attention was that highly unusual loss by LT - you never see that!

Any comments would be appreciated!

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I saw Freedom-LT. It was quickly apparent the two teams were on different levels. I attribute this to two things: 1) LT this year is not what they were the last few years. 2) A very good Class 6 team did what they should to a just above average Class 4 team: Dominate.

Secondly, Freedom has played 4 teams with a combined record of 6-13. Of those six wins, three are from Lake Taylor and the other two are Osbourn and Stonewall over Garfield, a really terrible program (sorry, but it is the truth about Garfield), and Osbourn Park over Colgan, a team in its first varsity season. Between Stonewall, Osbourn Park, and Osbourn I expect they will combine for maybe 10-12 wins (if that) between them by season's end. They are not strong teams.

Freedom is good but until they play Hylton next week, followed by Woodbridge two weeks later, the jury is out. Freedom could lose both and I expect they will still be 8-2.

I appreciate the insight!

This is one of those teams that's kind of not being much attention to, and usually one of two things can happen:

(1) It's all hype and the team is totally over-rated - especially when they play a relative weak schedule - and then when they play a quality team, they get beaten.
(2) No one pays attention to the team - they kind of slip between the cracks, and before you know it, they are in the state tournament, and everyone wonders 'who is this team?"

The next two weeks will be the test for sure......and maybe will make believers of all of us!

The one that got my attention was that highly unusual loss by LT - you never see that!

They have gotten some chatter on the boards. I have been impressed to say the least. I think they might go 10-0. Say this outloud they are averaging 63 pts a game! Does anybody have any film on this team? Would love to see what they look like

They have gotten some chatter on the boards. I have been impressed to say the least. I think they might go 10-0. Say this outloud they are averaging 63 pts a game! Does anybody have any film on this team? Would love to see what they look like

Ok I found em.... Look out 6A there is a new team with a dynamic QB.

I saw Freedom-LT. It was quickly apparent the two teams were on different levels. I attribute this to two things: 1) LT this year is not what they were the last few years. 2) A very good Class 6 team did what they should to a just above average Class 4 team: Dominate.

Secondly, Freedom has played 4 teams with a combined record of 6-13. Of those six wins, three are from Lake Taylor and the other two are Osbourn and Stonewall over Garfield, a really terrible program (sorry, but it is the truth about Garfield), and Osbourn Park over Colgan, a team in its first varsity season. Between Stonewall, Osbourn Park, and Osbourn I expect they will combine for maybe 10-12 wins (if that) between them by season's end. They are not strong teams.

Freedom is good but until they play Hylton next week, followed by Woodbridge two weeks later, the jury is out. Freedom could lose both and I expect they will still be 8-2.
who did hylton beat with a winning record? whats their record? both woodbridge and hylton are good ass football teams, but Freedom beat both of them last year. Not saying those two teams cant beat Freedom just dont understand your logic.

Last edited:
who did hylton beat with a winning record? whats their record? both woodbridge and hylton are good ass football teams, but Freedom beat both of them last year. Not saying those two teams cant beat Freedom just dont understand your logic.
My point was that Freedom only has two teams comparable to themselves on their schedule. The worst they will be is 8-2, IMO, but 10-0 is certainly within their reach. I said "Freedom COULD lose both" and still be 8-2. Not saying they will, but they have not been tested so far-not at all. Hylton did have Colonial Forge on the ropes and let that one get away; CF is supposed to be a top Class 6 team, so by inference I assume Hylton isn't a patsy despite their schedule so far this season. They also have Slade, who is a threat every time he touches the ball, just like Felton for Freedom.

My point was that Freedom only has two teams comparable to themselves on their schedule. The worst they will be is 8-2, IMO, but 10-0 is certainly within their reach. I said "Freedom COULD lose both" and still be 8-2. Not saying they will, but they have not been tested so far-not at all. Hylton did have Colonial Forge on the ropes and let that one get away; CF is supposed to be a top Class 6 team, so by inference I assume Hylton isn't a patsy despite their schedule so far this season. They also have Slade, who is a threat every time he touches the ball, just like Felton for Freedom.
I understand just seems little off because cebterville and Westfield didn’t blow doors off stonewall and Lake Taylor will still win 8 games and have beaten a western branch team who was ranked in div 6 but a lot football left for all teams my son is head coach at freedom so just want them to get their just due.

I understand just seems little off because cebterville and Westfield didn’t blow doors off stonewall and Lake Taylor will still win 8 games and have beaten a western branch team who was ranked in div 6 but a lot football left for all teams my son is head coach at freedom so just want them to get their just due.
Lots of great transfers from other schools in the northern va and they are great transfer players who can play so I expect them to continue their dominance

I agree. It felt as if the game was over by the second series. I'm going to take a chance and say they are legit challengers because they win with ease, their qb seems to score at will, and I read that they returned their entire O line and feature back. That being said, I'd like to see them play a much more physical team up front.

I am a total believer but I do wonder what happens when they play a big physical team.

I hope your son's team does well and my comments are not intended to slight the team. I have been following the teams in this area for quite some time and I generally have a decent understanding of a team's relative caliber after seeing them play and/or seeing how they play against certain competition. Freedom can only play the teams on their schedule and the schedule is not a strong one-only Hylton and Woodbridge are near peers, with Forest Park the next best after that. Freedom could certainly win all three and they are certainly good, but a word of caution. The fact that a team blows the doors off of most competitors results in a lot of wins, but if they are not tested it can be an issue later in the playoffs when that team comes up against a more physical team, one with a very good defense, or one that can match them score for score. I caution you against comparing scores to determine who is a better team-it is an indicator, but many factors go into an individual game's outcome. While the two teams you mentioned, Westfield and Centreville, are not quite what they have been the past few years (at least this far into the season), they are legit contenders just like Freedom and both are more physical than Freedom or any team Freedom has played to date.

You guys realize this team was 8-2 last year only losing to Massaponex and Riverbend (2x), while beating Hylton, Forge, Woodbridge, etc.. and returned 8 starters on each side of the ball.

You guys realize this team was 8-2 last year only losing to Massaponex and Riverbend (2x), while beating Hylton, Forge, Woodbridge, etc.. and returned 8 starters on each side of the ball.

I said I am a believer and I think they go 10-0. Got a lot of athletes out there

Thanks for all of everyone's imput on Freedom - I thought it was a much warranted discussion on this board.

Reactions: CavsGrad
How did Freedom turn their program around? They were terrible for a long time after the school opened.

According to VHSL-Reference ranking, Freedom (Woodbridge) is ranked #15 among 309 Virginia high school football teams. Freedom is 4-0 with 252 points scored for and 28 points scored against.

Freedom’s opponents so far are:

Freedom 76 Osbourn Park 21
Osbourn Park (1-4) is ranked #192 with 65 points scored for and 227 points scored against.

Freedom 54 Stonewall Jackson (Manassas) 0
Stonewall Jackson (1-4) is ranked #189 with 20 points scored for and 160 points scored against.

Freedom 58 Lake Taylor 7
Lake Taylor (3-1) is ranked #48 with 123 points scored for and 146 points scored against.

Freedom 64 Osbourn 0
Osbourn (1-3) is ranked #164 with 40 points scored for and 159 points scored against.

Freedom’s opponents have a combined record of 6 wins and 12 losses, 248 points scored for, and 692 points scored against.

Tonight Freedom plays against C.D. Hylton. C.D. Hylton (3-1) is ranked #55 with 168 points scored for and 51 points scored against. According to VHSL-Reference’s statistics, Freedom should win the game. We will see what happens tonight.

Colonial Forge vs Freedom state championship would be crazy if that’s how the brackets would go

Low level of competition / strength of schedule. Will become apparent during the playoffs.

Reactions: falcettik

Low level of competition / strength of schedule. Will become apparent during the playoffs.
Give the team there die and respect If y’all are the experts you claim to be Schedule your team to play them non District like LT did.

They beat 2 very good opponents in Hylton and Woodbridge. The victory over LT is good also. LT may finish with 8 wins as well.

Felton might be the best offensive player in the state. I don’t know how anyone could still be sleeping on this team

Reactions: CavsGrad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT