Will Freedom repeat in 6A this year?

• Yes

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
HSHS beat Varina 29-0. It was honestly a pretty boring game last year. Will most likely look the same this year.

My fault HooSprings for not replying sooner. Coming into the season, I looked at Freedom and Highland Springs as #1 and #2 with the margin being pretty thin. Comparing the outcomes against the top competition on their schedules, the close game that HSHS had with Manchester and the loss to Maury (a team they were able to defeat a season ago), and now this past weekend a 1-point win against Varina where HSHS faced a 13-0 deficit, I have to give the #1 nod to Freedom. You know, if we're talking about the fun stuff like rankings and who is the favorite to win the state title.

We know how Freedom performed in the second half against Varina, but I think the fact that they were up 27-7 in the first half is pretty telling of what they are capable of. They were also on track to put up 40+ on DeMatha and shut out their offense in the time that they were able to play. Even when play resumed on the second day, Freedom took control and scored on a long touchdown run on only their second play. Going by your comments before that game, Freedom should have gotten dominated by DeMatha.

Given these results and the outlook for the playoffs, it looks like HSHS has a tougher road to make it out of their region than Freedom, making it harder for me to call them the favorite for 6A. Head-to-head, I'm going to have to take Freedom because of the level of skill they have especially on offense.

My fault HooSprings for not replying sooner. Coming into the season, I looked at Freedom and Highland Springs as #1 and #2 with the margin being pretty thin. Comparing the outcomes against the top competition on their schedules, the close game that HSHS had with Manchester and the loss to Maury (a team they were able to defeat a season ago), and now this past weekend a 1-point win against Varina where HSHS faced a 13-0 deficit, I have to give the #1 nod to Freedom. You know, if we're talking about the fun stuff like rankings and who is the favorite to win the state title.

We know how Freedom performed in the second half against Varina, but I think the fact that they were up 27-7 in the first half is pretty telling of what they are capable of. They were also on track to put up 40+ on DeMatha and shut out their offense in the time that they were able to play. Even when play resumed on the second day, Freedom took control and scored on a long touchdown run on only their second play. Going by your comments before that game, Freedom should have gotten dominated by DeMatha.

Given these results and the outlook for the playoffs, it looks like HSHS has a tougher road to make it out of their region than Freedom, making it harder for me to call them the favorite for 6A. Head-to-head, I'm going to have to take Freedom because of the level of skill they have especially on offense.
Here’s my thoughts! There’s no question HSHS has played the tougher schedule. IMHO,Freedom looked just as bad in the 2nd half versus Varina as HS looked in the first half vs Varina. Both offenses scored 3 TDs in one half. They didn’t face the same QB,so I can’t compare how the defenses did. The only other game that freedom has played that compares to anything that HS has faced, freedom didn’t play even a full half. There were 54 seconds still on the clock in the first half when lightning struck the Dematha game. As we just saw Saturday, anything can happen in the second half with a great team.

For the record,NOBODY is this year’s Maury team! They built that team with two lines of depth just to beat HSHS, and their coach has admitted to that. Double digit D1 transfers! Btw…HSHS STILL had a chance to win in the second half. Anyone that is going to beat HS had better have a lot of depth to play 4 quarters.

I have said time, and time again that the D6 regional was going to be a monster to get through anyway. I still expect the final four to be HS, Manchester, Thomas, Dale, and Smith. I really do not think Glen Allen will beat Smith. No matter what the matchups are, those two semi finals should be brutal games. HS has seen Manchester and dale. Of course, Dale was a scrimmage so that doesn’t really count. I am not sure how the Freedom schedule compares to those first three games that Highland Springs had to play, but I could be wrong, and we will soon see.

Reactions: pizzzzza
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT