ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Courtland (11-2) at #1 Lake Taylor (13-0) Sat. 2pm

Who wins?

• Courtland

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Lake Taylor

Votes: 24 61.5%

• Total voters
I am going to get my opinion in early and with pace.

Courtlands offense will challenge LT with their system and Green is running well. LT matches up well with Courtlands O Line which is not nearly as physical as Hanover.

Courtlands defense has played well of late, but Palmer, Davis and the now confident young qb will be too much for them. Lafeyettes linebackers are sound, but no comparison to LT. Will not bully the Titans.

No one has kept LT under 28 all season and neither will Courtland. 32-20 LT.

I'm bullish on Courtland's defense--they have really strung together some outstanding games, and peaking in the playoffs is what you hope for. They also have versatility with the backs that they have--lots of speed to the outside with Lawson and Greene, power up the middle with Cheetum and Hokenson. If the running game bogs down, they can throw it up to 6'4" Jabari Allen or Nick Grant on the outside. I'm very happy for the Cougars and hope that they bring their best game to Norfolk, play spirited and tenacious ball for all four quarters, and leave it all on the field. Good luck to both teams!

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Devils....
I thought you said LT would play on Friday night up until the finals? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Devils....
I thought you said LT would play on Friday night up until the finals? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Yea that was the case up until last night. Courtland said they would prefer to play on Saturday so their fans can make it down to the game. We want to play on Friday and since we can't come to a agreement for Friday we have to play at 2pm Saturday which is the VHSL scheduled time. SMH so Courtland gets what they want anyways. You would think because we are the home team we would have some say, but this is the round the VHSL gets to keep the money so they want as many fans there as possible and since Courtland states Saturday is the best day for their fans to show up...Saturday 2pm game time.

Courtland didn't care when they made Lafayette come up there for a 7pm game on a holiday weekend, but even when offered to have the game on Friday at 7:30 to accommodate their fans they said no Saturday. The best part about it they want to play on Saturday to prepare them for what it will be like to have a routine for the state finals the following week. The nerve of the person who said that...I'll let them remain nameless

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Devils99- Courtland is about a 3 hour drive for them barring any unexpected tunnel tie ups which always happen on Friday nights- normal business day that Friday. To have the game on Friday is ludicrous/ the only rationale and fair ( you do want to be fair, right?) is the Saturday schedule. Glad they did it for the Courtland fans.

Reactions: salemfan32
Devils99- Courtland is about a 3 hour drive for them barring any unexpected tunnel tie ups which always happen on Friday nights- normal business day that Friday. To have the game on Friday is ludicrous/ the only rationale and fair ( you do want to be fair, right?) is the Saturday schedule. Glad they did it for the Courtland fans.
I have to agree with Lafayette on this one DevilsB99...BUT it can help you all with the Saturday routine for next round also.

I'm bullish on Courtland's defense--they have really strung together some outstanding games, and peaking in the playoffs is what you hope for. They also have versatility with the backs that they have--lots of speed to the outside with Lawson and Greene, power up the middle with Cheetum and Hokenson. If the running game bogs down, they can throw it up to 6'4" Jabari Allen or Nick Grant on the outside. I'm very happy for the Cougars and hope that they bring their best game to Norfolk, play spirited and tenacious ball for all four quarters, and leave it all on the field. Good luck to both teams!

Random question for you. I'm guessing you are in the know. Why is Allen committed to Towson and not a FBS school? Taking nothing from Grant, who may be a step faster, but based on what I've seen from the two of them, I personally like Allen a bit more. Wondering how Grant is going to UVa and Allen to Towson? I know kids make decisions on what is best for them so just wondering if you could fill me in on the recruitment of those two guys. thanks in advance. Good Luck at LT, should be a great game next weekend.

Well I won't make fame Saturday I have to work, but I hope it is a good game. Courtland has a lot of athletes.

Yea that was the case up until last night. Courtland said they would prefer to play on Saturday so their fans can make it down to the game. We want to play on Friday and since we can't come to a agreement for Friday we have to play at 2pm Saturday which is the VHSL scheduled time. SMH so Courtland gets what they want anyways. You would think because we are the home team we would have some say, but this is the round the VHSL gets to keep the money so they want as many fans there as possible and since Courtland states Saturday is the best day for their fans to show up...Saturday 2pm game time.

Courtland didn't care when they made Lafayette come up there for a 7pm game on a holiday weekend, but even when offered to have the game on Friday at 7:30 to accommodate their fans they said no Saturday. The best part about it they want to play on Saturday to prepare them for what it will be like to have a routine for the state finals the following week. The nerve of the person who said that...I'll let them remain nameless
Just curious, why did you guys want to keep all the gamed on Friday nights? Wouldn't a Saturday game allow more LT fans to attend as well?

Random question for you. I'm guessing you are in the know. Why is Allen committed to Towson and not a FBS school? Taking nothing from Grant, who may be a step faster, but based on what I've seen from the two of them, I personally like Allen a bit more. Wondering how Grant is going to UVa and Allen to Towson? I know kids make decisions on what is best for them so just wondering if you could fill me in on the recruitment of those two guys. thanks in advance. Good Luck at LT, should be a great game next weekend.
Allen might be committed to Towson for basketball as well. He is an awesome basketball player too! I could be wrong

Oh boy, sounds like someone is reaching hard in an attempt to make something out of nothing. Like you mentioned...VHSL determines day and time of game - you have a problem take it up with them. Obviously, Courtland was asked what they prefer, if the person who asked the question didn't like the answer - they should not have asked.

I'm not completely sure of why Jabari doesn't have other D1 offers. I do know he had another offer from Liberty as well. The whole process is kind of a crapshoot in my opinion--my own son is having a standout year and has 1 D1 offer from Army, and preferred walk-on offers from Duke and Syracuse, but that's it. He learned he's going to be all-area first team guard and second team end as well, yet no love from a lot of the big programs. Grades play a part in the issue, which is why he has been accepted by Stanford, but to throw shot put and discuss and not for football. It's a very subjective thing that I can't even begin to understand.

I'm not completely sure of why Jabari doesn't have other D1 offers. I do know he had another offer from Liberty as well. The whole process is kind of a crapshoot in my opinion--my own son is having a standout year and has 1 D1 offer from Army, and preferred walk-on offers from Duke and Syracuse, but that's it. He learned he's going to be all-area first team guard and second team end as well, yet no love from a lot of the big programs. Grades play a part in the issue, which is why he has been accepted by Stanford, but to throw shot put and discuss and not for football. It's a very subjective thing that I can't even begin to understand.
Offers do not normally come Senior year. At this time of year, most FBS schools already have had their commitment limits filled for months. Check thoroughly a school's walk on program. Walk ones are normally just practice team fodder.

Beatty can play DII. Ask Hall for help.

Reactions: VolNation85
There is a red shirt freshman fullback at Pitt right now that was walk on. He is also a starter. Just a example for the minority, it can happen occasionally. But your best bet is to play FCS, or D-2, get the education and get to see the field.

Reactions: aw19752
Congrats to your son, but maybe you should ask his coach or some recruiting service why no other offers. As a parent your judgment could be a lot different than others. Also this could be the motivation that he needs whenever he suits it up for a college program next year.

Fullback at VT was walk and started as true freshman. No fodder there also.

There is always the issue that sometimes a kid just isn't good enough, not saying yours isn't. But good in 4A , is average in 6A. Sometimes a reality check is hard to accept, especially as a parent. seen it a lot of times.

20 years later or so, and he finally got to see the field!
Hey I'm just stating that being a walk on isn't a negative thing. For some reason in these days of getting a scholarship is the only way you can prove that you're a good player being a walk on is a negative. Teams don't have to accept walk ons it's a privilege that's earned for being a decent player plus you get a chance to earn a scholarship. I have a friend whose kid got a partial and the parents are still responsible for 25,000 for tuition and such...but I guess oweing 25,000 is better than saying your a walk on...

There is always the issue that sometimes a kid just isn't good enough, not saying yours isn't. But good in 4A , is average in 6A. Sometimes a reality check is hard to accept, especially as a parent. seen it a lot of times.
Unless it's LT lol. Average kids don't go to places like Ohio State, ECU, etc. But I really do understand where you coming from.

Oh boy, sounds like someone is reaching hard in an attempt to make something out of nothing. Like you mentioned...VHSL determines day and time of game - you have a problem take it up with them. Obviously, Courtland was asked what they prefer, if the person who asked the question didn't like the answer - they should not have asked.
No we want to play on Fri Courtland didn't want to so we have to go with the default time. 2pm Sat. So again why allow teams to negotiate or try to move games when the team that wants to play on Sat can just say we want to play on Sat and you stuck. As the home team we should be able to set the time for whatever we like. Again I have supported the VHSL on a lot of things but this one I don't. This is the round where they get their money and ao they want as many fans in the seats as possible. Our fans have things to do on Sat and we have Smith, Phoebus, and Indian River playing this Sat. Crowd will be small.

Just curious, why did you guys want to keep all the gamed on Friday nights? Wouldn't a Saturday game allow more LT fans to attend as well?

I remember when all playoff games were on Saturdays at 1:30pm. Those were great times. I don't find a Saturday afternoon "difficult" as some people make it seem. I personally think the move to 7:00pm games in central and northern Virginia is one of the dumbest moves that schools have made since putting games at 7:30 back in the mid-1990s.

Offers do not normally come Senior year. At this time of year, most FBS schools already have had their commitment limits filled for months. Check thoroughly a school's walk on program. Walk ones are normally just practice team fodder.

Beatty can play DII. Ask Hall for help.

Yes, Ben has had plenty of DII and DIII interest. In fact, I wish he was more interested in all of the Ivy league interest he got, but he really wasn't interested in that. Honestly, I think I'd rather him pursue track and field in college to save his body. Right now, we're just in a holding pattern waiting for him to decide between Stanford, West Point and Duke--not a bad choice in the bunch academically, which for his mom and I is the main issue. I'm very proud of his accomplishments this year and think he's going to have a terrific experience in college. I think I was only commenting on what I've seen to be a very odd process the larger D1 schools seem to take in subjectively picking athletes.

Congrats to your son, but maybe you should ask his coach or some recruiting service why no other offers. As a parent your judgment could be a lot different than others. Also this could be the motivation that he needs whenever he suits it up for a college program next year.

Actually, Ben had a very nice recruiting profile on NCSA http://recruit-match.ncsasports.org/clientrms/athletes/1029758? and his HUDL videos have been viewed over 1000 times http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4208948/ben-beatty Coach Hall has been great about motivating him and helping his progress. I forgot to mention he got an "offer" from Davidson as well (D1-AA), and coach Hall has a history with JMU. JMU, UVA, Richmond and VT have recruited Ben, but he's on the bubble with all of them football wise. I'm well aware that my bias towards him is heavy, so I'm not coming at this from the angle of thinking he's better than he really is. It's just a tough process of visiting tons of camps and combines the summer after his junior year as well as all of the prospect camps at the schools he likes, fielding all of the phone calls and e-mails. It's a lot for a kid to process. And don't get me started on the Rival's star-rating system...lol. I really couldn't be more proud of Ben and all of the Cougars. I've followed them since Ben was in the 9th grade and they're really a wonderful bunch of boys. They genuinely care for one another and really put team first. I'm very hopeful they continue their winning ways at Lake Taylor this coming Saturday!

Actually, Ben had a very nice recruiting profile on NCSA http://recruit-match.ncsasports.org/clientrms/athletes/1029758? and his HUDL videos have been viewed over 1000 times http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4208948/ben-beatty Coach Hall has been great about motivating him and helping his progress. I forgot to mention he got an "offer" from Davidson as well (D1-AA), and coach Hall has a history with JMU. JMU, UVA, Richmond and VT have recruited Ben, but he's on the bubble with all of them football wise. I'm well aware that my bias towards him is heavy, so I'm not coming at this from the angle of thinking he's better than he really is. It's just a tough process of visiting tons of camps and combines the summer after his junior year as well as all of the prospect camps at the schools he likes, fielding all of the phone calls and e-mails. It's a lot for a kid to process. And don't get me started on the Rival's star-rating system...lol. I really couldn't be more proud of Ben and all of the Cougars. I've followed them since Ben was in the 9th grade and they're really a wonderful bunch of boys. They genuinely care for one another and really put team first. I'm very hopeful they continue their winning ways at Lake Taylor this coming Saturday!
Well playing against LT may be a blessing in the sky? A chance to put some good film together against a great team may be all he needs to get a late offer? Good luck to him...he looks scary on some of those plays :)

Reactions: danbeatty65
Been through this before. He's on the bubble for size and speed at his position. That's just recruiting right now. The military schools are great but he's already behind in the process of getting into those schools. I'm sure you know already how the process works. Doesn't matter how good an athlete you are, you still need those Congressional recommendations, etc. and per the former Strength and Conditioning Coach at Navy, it is an absolute bear to do everything the Cadets need to accomplish and play ball at the same time. More difficult than at any other College Institution.

Unless you have some real bucks, the Ivy's are still pretty tuition prohibitive, despite financial aide. And you get no slack academically. A 4.0 in public HS means you'll barely be an Average kid at one of these schools and the competition is fierce. It's not like going to a JMU or Davidson, especially when many of your 1st year classes will be graded on a curve and a 90 average could mean failure. Public HS does NOT prepare kids for The type of work College requires. I see this over and over.

I strongly recommend you take the lock at Davidson ASAP before it's withdrawn. There is a chance that more will come but you are more likely to be left in limbo if you don't move quickly.

Am I missing something?

The VHSL clearly and unquestionably states that the semi and final games WILL be played on Saturday. Period, end of discussion. It's not Coutlands decision. It's not Lake Taylor's decision. For graduation conflict or weather concerns, Tom Dolan can change the day. Otherwise. It's not up for discussion.

If you want to see for yourself, go to the VHSL web site, go to tournaments, formats, football, state tournament, dates, "ALL GAMES WILL BE PLAYED ON SATURDAYS".

Sorry Devils and Courtland, you don't get a vote!

N
No we want to play on Fri Courtland didn't want to so we have to go with the default time. 2pm Sat. So again why allow teams to negotiate or try to move games when the team that wants to play on Sat can just say we want to play on Sat and you stuck. As the home team we should be able to set the time for whatever we like. Again I have supported the VHSL on a lot of things but this one I don't. This is the round where they get their money and ao they want as many fans in the seats as possible. Our fans have things to do on Sat and we have Smith, Phoebus, and Indian River playing this Sat. Crowd will be small.
"Good in 4A is average in 6A" is a major overstatement. Just because a school is bigger doesn't mean that they are automatically better or vice versa. There are great football players across all classifications in Virginia. I can think of several guys that were a beast on the D1 level that played at schools smaller that 4A let alone 6A. There are guys from "smaller schools" in Va that are contributing to or on FBS teams all across the country. Don't sleep on the teams from smaller schools...just saying.

Reactions: OCBoy
Am I missing something?

The VHSL clearly and unquestionably states that the semi and final games WILL be played on Saturday. Period, end of discussion. It's not Coutlands decision. It's not Lake Taylor's decision. For graduation conflict or weather concerns, Tom Dolan can change the day. Otherwise. It's not up for discussion.

If you want to see for yourself, go to the VHSL web site, go to tournaments, formats, football, state tournament, dates, "ALL GAMES WILL BE PLAYED ON SATURDAYS".

Sorry Devils and Courtland, you don't get a vote!

Yes, you are missing something.

For that, I have no explanation.

And don't get me wrong, I could care less when anybody plays. My only point is that I see what is written.

If I am not not understanding what I'm reading, I'm open to what I'm mis-interpreting. Otherwise, if what I see is in fact the rule, then why isn't it followed?

For that, I have no explanation.

And don't get me wrong, I could care less when anybody plays. My only point is that I see what is written.

If I am not not understanding what I'm reading, I'm open to what I'm mis-interpreting. Otherwise, if what I see is in fact the rule, then why isn't it followed?

BECAUSE THERE IS AMBIGUITY!

If the two teams want to and agree to play on Friday night, the VHSL has no problem with it.

In what way can that be written so that you guys who are WRONG on this issue get the point?

This is at least the third time in these threads that it has been explained.

BECAUSE THERE IS AMBIGUITY!

If the two teams want to and agree to play on Friday night, the VHSL has no problem with it.

In what way can that be written so that you guys who are WRONG on this issue get the point?

This is at least the third time in these threads that it has been explained.

With all do respect, why have the rule stated At all?

Why not "Day and time TBD"? (That's the way us guys that are wrong would get the point).

There is no inferred ambiuity in a statement that says, "All games will be played on Saturday".

Mind you, I believe that common sense and a common agreement should rule.

But, the statement declaring when the games will be played, was purposely decided upon, at some time, by someone or some group, that thought that such a rule was necessary.

I know you are tired of addressing this issue. But I can make just as forceable argument that you are wrong. Evidence proves only that the rule is there as long as two parties, probably with Tom Dolan's approval, don't want to abide by it. It's a rule only if two parties don't think the "greater good" is served by ignoring the rule.

If that's the case. Delete the rule!

And don't get upset with me. I have no interest whatsoever in when a game is played. Only in arguing that if a rule is provided, it is to either be inforced, modified, or removed. Not declared ambiguous.

What is the next rule that can be looked at similarly? It sets a bad precedent.

Let's call it a night, Rod. I'm not going to change your mind, nor you mine.

Well, I got you to the water's edge. If you're not thirsty, then it's on you.

Best of luck, I won't try again.

ADVERTISEMENT