ADVERTISEMENT

(1) Thomas Jefferson at (1) Stuarts Draft Saturday 1 pm

I know nothing about Draft, so I can't give a prediction, but TJ is athletic and physical with a massive offensive line. Very balanced between the run and the pass.

Draft's defense is solid. If Teejay can spread the defense thin and get the ball to players in open spaces, they've got a chance.

There’s a chance this will be the best team either has faced. Sounds like TeeJay has multiple threats and are not pigeon holed into playing one style and the same can be said for Draft. Should be a good game

Reactions: CRF4Dan
@EPJr, what kind of fan support would you expect for TJ at SD next Saturday? Just curious
don't know this is new territory; being a city school there will not be the support they would get if they were in a small town where they are the only game in town. There were lots of folks there last night but that was a home game and there were lots of folk there from other schools who had been eliminated - they won't travel.

How did you guys usually fare in 3A? Is this first regional title for TJ?
Before the last two coaches TJ was a basketball, T&F school. football was a diversion. The alumni had a habit of waiting to December to get excited (those that still cared). Most alumni cared more about preserving the historical integrity of the building and grounds than supporting the kids that actually go there now. They are being challenged now by redistricting as both TJ and JM now have half full buildings and the south side schools are overflowing. They care about that - but football, like I said we shall see.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Before the last two coaches TJ was a basketball, T&F school. football was a diversion. The alumni had a habit of waiting to December to get excited (those that still cared). Most alumni cared more about preserving the historical integrity of the building and grounds than supporting the kids that actually go there now. They are being challenged now by redistricting as both TJ and JM now have half full buildings and the south side schools are overflowing. They care about that - but football, like I said we shall see.

Is this a senior laden team for you guys? Or should we expect to see TJ as a permanent fixture this time of the year like schools like Appo, Draft, Graham, etc?

Do you usually have a large crowd for home/close games?
depending on who we are playing; they are such creatures a habit
Class 2 was considered alien territory and they hated it.
It's not just them - Richmond folks hate anything new.
they would say things like:
'"no college will come to see a kid playing those schools"
"why are we playing Greensville again"?
" what is a Stuart's Draft and where thehell is it"?
They were actually more pumped for playing their familiar foes Glen Allen and Deep Run
It is going to take them years to accept the fact that TJ is in Class 2.
This regional championship will only help that process.
SO AS I SAID....

Is this a senior laden team for you guys? Or should we expect to see TJ as a permanent fixture this time of the year like schools like Appo, Draft, Graham, etc?
it is all coach driven
it depends whether larger schools come lusting after the coach
(like Deep Run did their last coach).

depending on who we are playing; they are such creatures a habit
Class 2 was considered alien territory and they hated it.
It's not just them - Richmond folks hate anything new.
they would say things like:
'"no college will come to see a kid playing those schools"
"why are we playing Greensville again"?
" what is a Stuart's Draft and where thehell is it"?
They were actually more pumped for playing their familiar foes Glen Allen and Deep Run
It is going to take them years to accept the fact that TJ is in Class 2.
This regional championship will only help that process.
SO AS I SAID....

I can understand that. Didn't know whether they had a big following or not. Some of these smaller schools have as big of a following as the larger schools (Riverheads/Richlands come to mind).

I would say without knowing the exact numbers that the last 2 times that
we faced Riverheads with both teams undefeated that there was around 5000 or so at the stadium. And probably close to that when we hosted Richlands for the Semifinal in 2016. Ironically both those Riverheads games and that Richlands game occured in 2016 or this year

Watched some of their highlights from last nights game their offensive line is huge but look really slow. I think Draft will have a field day with their quick defensive line and LBs.
that was the case with KW in the first half. the big boys leaning on them took a toll in the second half and the the holes for the running backs got bigger.

I can understand that. Didn't know whether they had a big following or not. Some of these smaller schools have as big of a following as the larger schools (Riverheads/Richlands come to mind).

we faced Riverheads with both teams undefeated that there was around 5000 or so at the stadium. And probably close to that when we hosted Richlands for the Semifinal in 2016. Ironically both those Riverheads games and that Richlands game occured in 2016 or this year
nope
nothing like that
your home field advantage will be safe

Reactions: obguthr

some of the huge Richlands/Union games have drew over 5,000 people.
Anyone who thinks 2A football is not very good is silly, 2A has produced a ton of elite recruits in recent memory. Cam Allen (Graham) is playing a lot as a true frosh at Purdue, James Mitchell (Union) has scored 6TDs for VT as a soph, Devon Graves (Appo) plays at NC State, Javon Scruggs (Appo) is playing a lot at Liberty, and three Region D kids have D1 offers right now with Trenton Adkins (Ridgeview) has several big time D1 offers, Devin Lester (Graham) is an ODU commit, Mason Polier (Union) has offer from Appalachian State, Brody Meadows (Graham) has D1 offers, etc and that's just in Region D. No matter where you are, colleges find talent. Several NFL stars came from small schools in what's now 2A in SWVA like Heath Miller (Honaker) and both Jones brothers (PV).

Anyone who thinks 2A football is not very good is silly, 2A has produced a ton of elite recruits in recent memory. Cam Allen (Graham) is playing a lot as a true frosh at Purdue, James Mitchell (Union) has scored 6TDs for VT as a soph, Devon Graves (Appo) plays at NC State, Javon Scruggs (Appo) is playing a lot at Liberty, and three Region D kids have D1 offers right now with Trenton Adkins (Ridgeview) has several big time D1 offers, Devin Lester (Graham) is an ODU commit, Mason Polier (Union) has offer from Appalachian State, Brody Meadows (Graham) has D1 offers, etc and that's just in Region D. No matter where you are, colleges find talent. Several NFL stars came from small schools in what's now 2A in SWVA like Heath Miller (Honaker) and both Jones brothers (PV).
Yes if you are good enough they will find you

folk have silly notions in 2019?
you don't say :rolleyes:
but seriously tho
you are preaching to the choir - but folks only know what they know

Reactions: BigWinners
@EPJr, what kind of fan support would you expect for TJ at SD next Saturday? Just curious
Most 2A schools within thirty miles of Richmond have to deal with the 5 and 6A schools as far as fans support goes. Last nights game was a good showing although the line at the gate didn't break until third quarter.

TJ has a balanced offense. That's very important this time of year. When a team is one dimensional, a good defense can stop them. I'd like to see TJ win.

Those RVA Boyz bringing it home, sorry Gunz! It will be a great game. For me, I look for whoever wins the turnover battle to win this.

No way to really compare them. Riverheads and their patented Wing T, and TJ isn't close to that. TJ looks to be A LOT bigger. I think one OL was 6'8 and 350
I agree that the Cougar speed should overwhelm the size of the line . If anyone of that size is a D1 prospect , we all would have heard of him . Not saying he won't be just maybe not yet.

Wasn't Draft like 2-8 last year/

What happened for the big turn around?

And a few were freshman last year. They are still relatively young to be honest so this is the first of a couple of years they should be in the mix barring injuries and such.

Reactions: Bo Bob
It would be nice to watch two Augusta Co. teams in Salem . RedPideNation is pulling for the Cougars.

Reactions: obguthr
I think that kid that is 6'8 is a sophomore.

They look like they would have the kind of athletes of the good Harrisonburg, REL, Waynesboro teams. So it will be very interesting.

And as for the age of Cougars, they have 5 seniors, 3 of which play significant time.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I think that kid that is 6'8 is a sophomore.

They look like they would have the kind of athletes of the good Harrisonburg, REL, Waynesboro teams. So it will be very interesting.

And as for the age of Cougars, they have 5 seniors, 3 of which play significant time.
Gunz , Any chance I could sit in the Luxury Box with you on Sat? Can't see much from the fence !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT