ADVERTISEMENT

#1 undefeated 4A goes down

Big win for the Dogs. Never thought they would go to Halifax and GW back to back nights and get 2 wins. Hopefully we can keep it going on Friday and Saturday nights.

Reactions: AntGZee
Martinsville's Defense seems to be legit. Is that the key to their team? I think Martinsville, Radford, Gate City, and East Rockingham may be the top four at this time. The Bulldogs look tough though...

Martinsville's Defense seems to be legit. Is that the key to their team? I think Martinsville, Radford, Gate City, and East Rockingham may be the top four at this time. The Bulldogs look tough though...
The defense was the key! Bulldogs will have something to say about 2A Championship! And I’m a GW fan

Dogs are just a bunch of kids who have bought into the coaches system and play hard. Somebody different steps up every game, last night it was a soph, jr, and a sr (who was not being counted for a lot of scoring) came thru to pull the upset over GW. They play very deliberately on the offensive end also, they dont take many bad shots. Lewis is right, their defense is the key, not extremely tall, but are long and have very active hands.

Don't you dogs hate on me for asking but was GW Danville really that good? They lost to Millbrook before losing to Martinsville. Millbrook had a 1pt win against Kettle Run and lost to Handley by 7. Haven't seen Millbrook or Martinsville but wasn't impressed with Kettle Run and Handley was just ok.

Don't you dogs hate on me for asking but was GW Danville really that good? They lost to Millbrook before losing to Martinsville. Millbrook had a 1pt win against Kettle Run and lost to Handley by 7. Haven't seen Millbrook or Martinsville but wasn't impressed with Kettle Run and Handley was just ok.

GW didn't lose to Millbrook. They were undefeated before last night. Wins over 12-2 Halifax and a very solid LCA team. I think your point is arguable, is all I'm saying.

GW did not play Millbrook, I think that was some team out of WVa. But we aren't that good, martinsville that is. Just a little 2A school trying to keep their head above water.

GW did not play Millbrook, I think that was some team out of WVa. But we aren't that good, martinsville that is. Just a little 2A school trying to keep their head above water.

My fault, I was on MaxPreps looking at the schedules and they have GW Danville losing to Millbrook.

1. 56-49 (L) - George Washington vs. MillbrookRESULTLoss
    Played on 1/16/2019

1/16
    Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final
    Millbrook
    GWHS - - - - 49
    The George Washington varsity basketball team lost Wednesday's neutral non-conference game against Millbrook (Winchester, VA) by a score of 56-49. Box Score Get Notified

Posted yesterday

Want to talk strength of schedule? Martinsville’s 4 losses were to teams with a combined record of 49-8. Lost by a combined 29 points (Northside taking a big chunk of that with a 16 point win).That’s what I called battletested! Dawgs have beaten EC Glass, Halifax, GW, & McMichael
This is via my friend DSH

Tell DSH I miss seeing him and his dad at the games. Also miss his commentary on here, he represented Southside very well and was very passionate in his support of teams down this way. Miss you buddy!!

I'm not sure on East Rock yet. I haven't seen them, but by looking at their scores, they are good, but 2 G schools in Graham and Greensville County are both very talented and don't count these two out. We hammered Graham earlier in the year and we are a better team, but the QB hadn't got his bearings yet and I'm sure they will be difficult come playoff time. Greensville is always talent and they play a much tougher schedule than East Rock year in and year out, and that's even with RE Lee on their schedule

Its Radford and then everyone else. They will be tested only twice in the regular season. Once against Northside and maybe today against Dudley out of Greensboro. They're only 8-8 on the year but play in a very tough league, and have 6 or 7 kids 6'4" or better on their roster. In region C this year they are splitting the regionals into a east and west bracket and Radford and Mavahi are both in the west. Heard they were going to cross bracket in the semi final round but dont know for sure.

Four best look like Radford, Martinsville, ER, and maybe DR, or GC.

No offense Big Winners, but 2A football isn't 2A basketball, but where it is similar in shaping the opinions of how good a team is is largely influenced by who can vote, yell, or who has the loudest voice on this message board without seeing or knowing much about a team or teams. We saw this is football with East Rockingham as the popularity contest winner. My point is this...Greensville County has an incredible history in basketball and they have great talent every year, yet they have few fans on here and little is known of them in Southwest VA.

In my opinion, the best two teams in the state are Radford and a tie between GC and Martinsville for second. The fourth beat team is likely a toss up between 3 teams. East Rock, Dan River, and Greensville County and if going by history, I would take Greensville County. No offense to East Rockingham, but like in football, they do not play the schedule of teams like Dan River, Martinsville, Radford, or Greensville County.

Bulldogs won their 4th road game in 5 nights tonight with a 42-33 W over cross-town rival Magna Vista.

No offense Big Winners, but 2A football isn't 2A basketball, but where it is similar in shaping the opinions of how good a team is is largely influenced by who can vote, yell, or who has the loudest voice on this message board without seeing or knowing much about a team or teams. We saw this is football with East Rockingham as the popularity contest winner. My point is this...Greensville County has an incredible history in basketball and they have great talent every year, yet they have few fans on here and little is known of them in Southwest VA.

In my opinion, the best two teams in the state are Radford and a tie between GC and Martinsville for second. The fourth beat team is likely a toss up between 3 teams. East Rock, Dan River, and Greensville County and if going by history, I would take Greensville County. No offense to East Rockingham, but like in football, they do not play the schedule of teams like Dan River, Martinsville, Radford, or Greensville County.

you make that spiel and don't recognize that's true about GC too this year. This year's team isn't a legit title contender

Don't really follow basketball, I look occasionally to see who won. But football on the other hand...

How did East Rockingham not play anyone in football. 6 teams in regular season in playoffs, one of which won 1a title. Spotswood only regular season loss was to ER.

Let's compare that to the teams you mentioned.

Dan River finished 4-6. But just to go with your premise. 7 teams

Martinsville finished 1-9. 6 teams

Radford. I know that is your team. 7 teams.

Greensville. Finished 6-5. 7 teams.

And unless I am missing your point, you contradict yourself and show a bias. I think I remember you saying you hadn't seen ER in football, dont know about basketball. Yet you are talking about opinions being skewed by who posters have/haven't seen. Thus making it a "popularity contest."

Everything you said about basketball could be 100%, but how you came to that seems flawed

Don't really follow basketball, I look occasionally to see who won. But football on the other hand...

How did East Rockingham not play anyone in football. 6 teams in regular season in playoffs, one of which won 1a title. Spotswood only regular season loss was to ER.

Let's compare that to the teams you mentioned.

Dan River finished 4-6. But just to go with your premise. 7 teams

Martinsville finished 1-9. 6 teams

Radford. I know that is your team. 7 teams.

Greensville. Finished 6-5. 7 teams.

And unless I am missing your point, you contradict yourself and show a bias. I think I remember you saying you hadn't seen ER in football, dont know about basketball. Yet you are talking about opinions being skewed by who posters have/haven't seen. Thus making it a "popularity contest."

Everything you said about basketball could be 100%, but how you came to that seems flawed

What I took from the post was, and I'm guilty of this as well, was that we shouldn't let hype dictate who we think is the best. All of us were led to believe ER would steamroll everyone and was clearly the best in 2A football but they didn't make the title game, and if they had, would have lost by 40 to Graham.

What I took from the post was, and I'm guilty of this as well, was that we shouldn't let hype dictate who we think is the best. All of us were led to believe ER would steamroll everyone and was clearly the best in 2A football but they didn't make the title game, and if they had, would have lost by 40 to Graham.

Maybe I misread it then. Just from reading on here, and not following, sounds like that is Radford in basketball

Maybe I misread it then. Just from reading on here, and not following, sounds like that is Radford in basketball

But Radford is a proven commodity. They've been great before and continue to shine, and their resume is second to only maybe Mavahi. Anyone who has seen them play knows they are totally legit. QMR is prob best player in 2A.

Whatever two teams make it out of Region C may end up being the two best in 2A. With Radford, Martinsville and Dan River, gonna be a very interesting end of the season.

But Radford is a proven commodity. They've been great before and continue to shine, and their resume is second to only maybe Mavahi. Anyone who has seen them play knows they are totally legit. QMR is prob best player in 2A.

Even I know that. My point was that they are being talked about as being head and shoulders the best, which certainly could be true. But doesn't mean they can't play bad at the wrong time and not win the championship.

Just think everyone, including myself, need to use the same rules. In football, when ER lost, it was Goochland was better. No thought as to how ER could have just played terrible. And I'm no ER fan. But at other times and other schools and even other sports, the favorite just didn't play their game.

Sure we all have our biases, nothing wrong with that. It comes from more familiarity. But to me, you have to give anyone the same rules to look at if you don't have the clouded bias.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT