ADVERTISEMENT

10 open coaching jobs so far...

Christiansburg fell SO quickly. With their top flight wrestling program, you'd think football would be almost as consistent for them.

Still waiting to hear if Lafayette's HC Andy Linn now the new AD truly steps down or not.

Understand Mag's is now entertaining offers from JMU. Would pay him well more than his teaching and Coaching positions at Salem. Tough to turn down. Wish him the best but this is difficult when it would make the wife so very happy.

Understand Mag's is now entertaining offers from JMU. Would pay him well more than his teaching and Coaching positions at Salem. Tough to turn down. Wish him the best but this is difficult when it would make the wife so very happy.
I knew it would be soon if this is true. Coach Abell turned W&L down two times and the third offer he accepted. Made me sad but wished him well

Wikki I'd pay good money to get Smith from Appomattox! Along with a long line of hometown Amherst folks. Curd I know you read this! We need a change in hogtown and your friendship to the coach isn't cutting it. Christiansburg is hiring. Be a perfect fit if it was for a history teacher/HC

I heard VCU offered Mags head coach job. :D
Lol that would be sweet! I'm surprised Mags hasn't come up in the University of Richmond talks with Rocco going to Delaware. Salem has sent a lot of great players to UR in the past with Riley going next year. I'd think with Mags' track record and success he's had that he'd be able to lead a top team like UR.

Reactions: OCBoy
Lol that would be sweet! I'm surprised Mags hasn't come up in the University of Richmond talks with Rocco going to Delaware. Salem has sent a lot of great players to UR in the past with Riley going next year. I'd think with Mags' track record and success he's had that he'd be able to lead a top team like UR.
You are delusional if you think any high school coach in VA (with no college experience) is ready to move straight to the head job of a 1-AA program. But a position coach at that level is a realistic possibility.

Agree- with Richmond job now available, his name should pop up for something- asst coach most likely.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I imagine there would probably be a number of NON - Salem fans that would love to see coach mags leave salem.
I'm sure you are right If you are not a Salem fan. However, it would be a very sad day in Salem and I would HATE to see him leave but would understand if he did. The most interesting debate if that happened would be... Who replaces him at Salem? My guess would be someone already in the program or an ex Salem player possibly coaching elsewhere like coach Mags was before landing the Salem gig. For instance, would the Salem faithful welcome back Brad Bradley even after the shenanigans from a couple years ago?

Last edited:
Bradley burned to many bridges. Doubt he would be allowed back inside city limits, let alone coach salem. Of course Trump got elected president. that proves that anything is possible.

Last edited:
You are delusional if you think any high school coach in VA (with no college experience) is ready to move straight to the head job of a 1-AA program. But a position coach at that level is a realistic possibility.
For someone's who's what 150-21 over the past 13 years, 5 state championships since 04 at one of the highest levels of high school football. The Burnette twins were stars at UR, the big RB they had a couple of years ago, Alex Light, and Riley Fox...Salem fans correct me because I'm sure there's more. Honestly he has nothing left to prove in high school football. Do I want him to leave? Nope. Does he deserve to get this recognition from D1 programs? You're darn right he does! He's an excellent coach, head coach right away? Maybe not but it's not far fetched. And I said it's surprising he's not in the mix...UR has already hired Chattanooga's coach who IMO will get the Spiders over the hump into the FCS championship right away. As far as being delusional, I see a lot of logic in which I explained in my past two posts :p

It is far fetched for a D-3 college coach to go straight to a 1-AA head coach, much less a high school coach. And it has nothing to do with X's and O's. It has to do with budget, human resources, and recruiting experience. There are plenty of examples of high school coaches going to position jobs or even D-3 head jobs(still rare).

But the only example of of a high school coach(with no college experience) going straight to a head college job(1-AA or D1 ) that I can think of was Gerry Faust at Notre Dame in the early 80's. And that was a train wreck. It just doesn't happen.

Reactions: gwb16
He would be good

Abell was offensive coordinator and now the head coach at W&L

Good call on Tony Sanchez. The one thing he and Faust have in common is that they were both coming off National Championships at the high school level. A lot of people thought he was crazy to leave BG for UNLV because they thought that the Gorman job was better.

Interestingly, there are several very good D1 head coaches that are former high school coaches. The biggest name currently would be Gus Malzhan at Auburn. In fact, in 2014 there were four D1-A college football programs in Alabama and the only one with a HC not from high school was Nick Saban. Typically, they become assistants first and then get promoted. I'm not attempting to have any knowledge about current VA high school coaches going to the college ranks in any capacity, but it is not entirely unheard of. There are several current high school coaches that have displayed some incredible talent, and may wish to try their hand at the next level.

Interestingly, there are several very good D1 head coaches that are former high school coaches. The biggest name currently would be Gus Malzhan at Auburn. In fact, in 2014 there were four D1-A college football programs in Alabama and the only one with a HC not from high school was Nick Saban. Typically, they become assistants first and then get promoted. I'm not attempting to have any knowledge about current VA high school coaches going to the college ranks in any capacity, but it is not entirely unheard of. There are several current high school coaches that have displayed some incredible talent, and may wish to try their hand at the next level.
Didn't know that was possible. Thought that was delusional :(:rolleyes:

Didn't know that was possible. Thought that was delusional :(:rolleyes:

But NONE of the guys you alluded to jumped straight to a head job! All were assistants first, except Sanchez. There are plenty of VA coaches who have the ability to coach on the college level, but NONE of them are jumping straight to a head job at the Div 1 or 1-AA level.

Reactions: SalemPride
But NONE of the guys you alluded to jumped straight to a head job! All were assistants first, except Sanchez. There are plenty of VA coaches who have the ability to coach on the college level, but NONE of them are jumping straight to a head job at the Div 1 or 1-AA level.
If my comprehension is correct, someone said JMU had interest in Mags..I then stated that I was surprised UR hasn't contacted him with the track record he has with UR by sending quality recruits there and then went on to say that I think he could lead a program of that magnitude which is opinion based off the respect I have for him. Dont see how that's delusional but you have it big guy! Have a happy holiday!

Reactions: OCBoy
I think Mags stays put. He doesn't need the money and he is a "Salem Guy". I mean that with the utmost respect!

I'm sure you are right If you are not a Salem fan. However, it would be a very sad day in Salem and I would HATE to see him leave but would understand if he did. The most interesting debate if that happened would be... Who replaces him at Salem? My guess would be someone already in the program or an ex Salem player possibly coaching elsewhere like coach Mags was before landing the Salem gig. For instance, would the Salem faithful welcome back Brad Bradley even after the shenanigans from a couple years ago?

My guess would be either JR Edwards returning from Franklin County or someone on staff like Lewis Pitts or Brian Hooker.

My guess would be either JR Edwards returning from Franklin County or someone on staff like Lewis Pitts or Brian Hooker.
What is Richard Goodpasture doing these days? I know at one point in time he was on Mags staff. Is he coaching elsewhere?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT