ADVERTISEMENT

10 open coaching jobs so far...

What is Richard Goodpasture doing these days? I know at one point in time he was on Mags staff. Is he coaching elsewhere?
He's back on the staff. He had moved away from Salem about five years ago but he's been back for the last couple of years. He's currently the defensive backs coach. All the players absolutely love the guy. I would think he would be a candidate for head coach if Mag were to leave.

Goodpasture isn't a teacher, so I wouldn't see him as a candidate since there are more experienced assistants who are teachers.

I'm sure you are right If you are not a Salem fan. However, it would be a very sad day in Salem and I would HATE to see him leave but would understand if he did. The most interesting debate if that happened would be... Who replaces him at Salem? My guess would be someone already in the program or an ex Salem player possibly coaching elsewhere like coach Mags was before landing the Salem gig. For instance, would the Salem faithful welcome back Brad Bradley even after the shenanigans from a couple years ago?
No

Reactions: 24153Sports
Tough to find someone that wants to live in South Boston, Halifax County. Also county is so spread out, my guess would be it is hard to get kids. Maybe it is a gold mine..who knows?!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Tough to find someone that wants to live in South Boston, Halifax County. Also county is so spread out, my guess would be it is hard to get kids. Maybe it is a gold mine..who knows?!
You have kids coming from Cody (35 min drive), Virgilina (25 min drive), Sutherlin/Tuberville (20-30 min drive), and the kids coming from the Clover area (20 min drive). That's a long way everyday. I know a kid that lives in Vernon Hill which is about a 20 minute drive to the high school and he wakes up at 4:30 to get on the bus at 6. To most of these kids, an average school day is 5-6 am to 4:30-5 o'clock. That's enough to make a person not want to play sports. I'm glad to see Halifax's basketball and softball teams becoming a contender in 5a each year.

You have kids coming from Cody (35 min drive), Virgilina (25 min drive), Sutherlin/Tuberville (20-30 min drive), and the kids coming from the Clover area (20 min drive). That's a long way everyday. I know a kid that lives in Vernon Hill which is about a 20 minute drive to the high school and he wakes up at 4:30 to get on the bus at 6. To most of these kids, an average school day is 5-6 am to 4:30-5 o'clock. That's enough to make a person not want to play sports. I'm glad to see Halifax's basketball and softball teams becoming a contender in 5a each year.
My parents grew up in Halifax Co and I lived there for a while. I think they used to be good in baseball too. That's what I played and I was a pretty good pitcher.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
My parents grew up in Halifax Co and I lived there for a while. I think they used to be good in baseball too. That's what I played and I was a pretty good pitcher.
They have a great baseball program at Halifax. I started following their baseball program in 05 when they had Jeremy Jeffress who was a first round draft pick by the Brewers in 06. They've had some seriously talented teams at Halifax but they can never get over the hump. They'll go 23-0 during the regular season and lose in extras in the first round of the playoffs. They have a very good Dixie League in Halifax County in the summer and great support.

Reactions: mike salem

My grandfather, which I never knew, was born, lived, and died, in Halifax County. He was a dirt poor, alcoholic, share-cropper, but by all accounts, a really good man. He is buried in a cemetery somewhere near the South Boston Speedway, or so I was once told. Heck, me and DSH might even be kin, you never know!!!

There has to be talent in a school that size, but the travel time and the lack of activity buses is one of the many issues that plagues Halifax. The facilities, for a school of its size are lack luster and that is something that attracts kids to playing. Tradition or having strong teams in the past would once make kids want to play for a school or a program and Halifax has never really had that and kids no longer play because they love a sport, they have to be getting something from it and when you aren't winning, your facilities are poor, the kids stay home because they don't want to be ridiculed for being on a losing team. Also, if you look at their schedule any single game is about an hour and a half away, except for maybe Tunstall or GW and then its about an hour. No close games, no real rivalries and if you do make the playoffs, you are in 5A North. How in the world is one of the southern most schools in the state, classified as north? Whoever does get the job, I hope the county gives them several years to get things in order. I would say 6-7 years would be needed.

There has to be talent in a school that size, but the travel time and the lack of activity buses is one of the many issues that plagues Halifax. The facilities, for a school of its size are lack luster and that is something that attracts kids to playing. Tradition or having strong teams in the past would once make kids want to play for a school or a program and Halifax has never really had that and kids no longer play because they love a sport, they have to be getting something from it and when you aren't winning, your facilities are poor, the kids stay home because they don't want to be ridiculed for being on a losing team. Also, if you look at their schedule any single game is about an hour and a half away, except for maybe Tunstall or GW and then its about an hour. No close games, no real rivalries and if you do make the playoffs, you are in 5A North. How in the world is one of the southern most schools in the state, classified as north? Whoever does get the job, I hope the county gives them several years to get things in order. I would say 6-7 years would be needed.
All due respect I agree with almost everything you say as you are very knowledgeable. One of the problems I've seen with Halifax County is the coaching. Halifax Middle School program? One of the best programs in the state!!!!!! In the past, their JV program (boys basketball mostly) can beat anybody on a given night! Why? Because the kids can relate to the coaches. These teams beat Martinsville, GW, etc on the regular. The problem is is when they get to varsity. They hire coaches that are out of touch with the kids. The facilities play a part, but i don't think it's the reason that their middle school and JV teams are regularly better than their varsity programs. Luckily their boys varsity basketball team has hired a very young coach to run their program and the results are very very good. They beat 2 time defending state champ Martinsville the other night in a blowout! They'll have a big season this year. I've talked with the coach and the kids are excited and the community are proud/happy for the future of Halifax basketball. I'd put my money on it, if they hire a young coach with energy and one the kids can relate to, they'll have a winning record in football this year and start competing regularly. I read the other day that they're in talks of either building a new high or remodeling the old one. Honestly if they were to remodel it, build a new football stadium and fix some of the other facilities up then they'd be good, IMO. Just by watching Halifax for the past 12 years, I just don't think that the losing and facilities are a determining factor in the demise of their boys sports programs. Their football program has had what 7 football coaches since 05? No offense but none of these coaches have been younger than 60 and none of them could relate to these kids. There's serious talent in Halifax but lack of execution and effort are attributes of coaching. And oh no no no...There's rivalry. GW and Halifax hate each other. Martinsville and Halifax? Hate each other! Person Co and Halifax? That's gonna be a dog fight! Halifax and Glass is good. I know Tommy said the other day that Halifax will probably be dropping to 4a in a few years which I think will bring State championships in softball, volleyball, baseball and maybe basketball if Coach Sterling Williams stays there. Football has a ways to go but IMO it's one of the best jobs West of Richmond.

All due respect I agree with almost everything you say as you are very knowledgeable. One of the problems I've seen with Halifax County is the coaching. Halifax Middle School program? One of the best programs in the state!!!!!! In the past, their JV program (boys basketball mostly) can beat anybody on a given night! Why? Because the kids can relate to the coaches. These teams beat Martinsville, GW, etc on the regular. The problem is is when they get to varsity. They hire coaches that are out of touch with the kids. The facilities play a part, but i don't think it's the reason that their middle school and JV teams are regularly better than their varsity programs. Luckily their boys varsity basketball team has hired a very young coach to run their program and the results are very very good. They beat 2 time defending state champ Martinsville the other night in a blowout! They'll have a big season this year. I've talked with the coach and the kids are excited and the community are proud/happy for the future of Halifax basketball. I'd put my money on it, if they hire a young coach with energy and one the kids can relate to, they'll have a winning record in football this year and start competing regularly. I read the other day that they're in talks of either building a new high or remodeling the old one. Honestly if they were to remodel it, build a new football stadium and fix some of the other facilities up then they'd be good, IMO. Just by watching Halifax for the past 12 years, I just don't think that the losing and facilities are a determining factor in the demise of their boys sports programs. Their football program has had what 7 football coaches since 05? No offense but none of these coaches have been younger than 60 and none of them could relate to these kids. There's serious talent in Halifax but lack of execution and effort are attributes of coaching. And oh no no no...There's rivalry. GW and Halifax hate each other. Martinsville and Halifax? Hate each other! Person Co and Halifax? That's gonna be a dog fight! Halifax and Glass is good. I know Tommy said the other day that Halifax will probably be dropping to 4a in a few years which I think will bring State championships in softball, volleyball, baseball and maybe basketball if Coach Sterling Williams stays there. Football has a ways to go but IMO it's one of the best jobs West of Richmond.
I agree the kids need to relate to the coaches or you will not get the best out of the athletes

Last edited:
I agree the kids need to relate to the coaches are you will not get the best out of the athletes
We agree on this one Wikki.

In a HS program, the Coach is everything. There can be the occasional good year when your collection of athletes is just so much better than the rest but the Coach and the program he creates writes the story of consistency.

I'm sure you are right If you are not a Salem fan. However, it would be a very sad day in Salem and I would HATE to see him leave but would understand if he did. The most interesting debate if that happened would be... Who replaces him at Salem? My guess would be someone already in the program or an ex Salem player possibly coaching elsewhere like coach Mags was before landing the Salem gig. For instance, would the Salem faithful welcome back Brad Bradley even after the shenanigans from a couple years ago?
I have always wondered if Bradley would be a possible candidate for the Salem job if Mags left.

Magenbauer isn't going anywhere tmk, just a rumor started by Shauntclair. That's not to say he's not getting offers annually more than likely. He certainly has the pedigree and resume to be coaching at the next level. His career at Salem started off with 2 championships in the first 2 years and a record of 70-7 in his first 6 years. Year 7 & 8 were "down years" for Salem going a combined 15-8. In the last 5 years 64-6 & 2 more Titles. He has a middle schooler and a high schooler, he's ingrained and stamped Salem for the next 5 years at least. I think he's happy doing what he's doing at that level and he seems to be a lifer in the Salem system like Coach White was once he got to Salem. These are my opinions.

Magenbauer isn't going anywhere tmk, just a rumor started by Shauntclair. That's not to say he's not getting offers annually more than likely. He certainly has the pedigree and resume to be coaching at the next level. His career at Salem started off with 2 championships in the first 2 years and a record of 70-7 in his first 6 years. Year 7 & 8 were "down years" for Salem going a combined 15-8. In the last 5 years 64-6 & 2 more Titles. He has a middle schooler and a high schooler, he's ingrained and stamped Salem for the next 5 years at least. I think he's happy doing what he's doing at that level and he seems to be a lifer in the Salem system like Coach White was once he got to Salem. These are my opinions.
Not a rumor Mike. Total hoax and made up just to get a rise from Salem fans. Worked well and even more easily than I suspected. They do not disappoint.

Spartan's are fortunate to have Mag's. Smart as heck. Great Coach. Great Holiday to you and yours.

Reactions: wikki
My only question is - who bought this for a second? Does anybody actually think that JMU in the midst of a title run would feel the need to call Mags to bolster their staff? He is a great coach ' but come on now. I think they got a handle on things in Harrisonburg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT