ADVERTISEMENT

15 yard penalties by coaches

BullRun66

VaPreps Rookie
Jun 25, 2021
In the Strasburg vs Skyline JV game last night. The visiting Hawks coaches lost composure and were jawing at the officials. It resulted in 4 straight 15 yard penalties on a 4th and 5 as they were driving to score. It made it 4th and 65. The score was lopsided in the favor of the Rams 48-19. The game was out of reach and those penalties took an chance for the young Hawks to get a chance to convert a 4th and 5 and try to score again. From the looks of it the officials this year are not going to tolerate being berated by the coaches this season.

I know I heard a coach making comments in the benefit game we played and joked with the ref about it (i was on the chain crew) and the ref said that if it was the regular season he would have flagged him.

Most of us who have coached any sport at the high school level, have jawed some with officials. Sometimes it can get heated but as a coach, I feel like we need to maintain our composure. Aren’t we supposed to be representing our schools and our communities. Say what you need to say, move on, and walk away. Sometimes a good glare will say more than words. I fully believe you gotta stand up for your kids but remember the title coach, means you are a leader of young men. Now on the other hand sometimes officials forget they are to manage a game from within the rules. Just remember you are in that coaches place of work when you are on that field. Got a friend who is an NCAA official. He says a good official must have a thick skin.

Title of thread is misleading. The first two penalties were on a player and led to his ejection.

Reactions: oldfool2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT