ADVERTISEMENT

#16 Charlottesville @ #24 EC Glass Preview

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
The Black Knight’s are ready for a new year.

“All we’re focusing on right now is EC Glass.” Charlottesville High School football head coach Eric Sherry said. Make no mistake, the Black Knight’s are ready to get this season started after a much needed playoff season in 2016. Charlottesville went 7-5, and won its first playoff since 1999. With 9 of 11 starters on offense returning, Charlottesville is looking for an even more successful, and high scoring, season then last year.

The Black Knight’s return starting quarterback Sam Neale, a tri-varsity athlete (basketball and lacrosse as well) for his senior season. The elusive QB is athletic, and can rip off a 50 or so yard touchdown when he needs to. He knows the triple-option offense like the back of his hand. He knows his targets and knows when to hit them. He’s got athletic receiver Jake Poe, his favorite target, returning. He’s also got two of the fastest backs in the area by his side in Tre Durrett and Rakeem Davis (brother of former JMU player and now NFL player Rashard Davis). You can’t forget Sabias Folley, maybe the best running back in all of central Virginia to hand off to. Folley racked up more than 1,000 yards last season, and he was only a sophomore.

The only problem for the Black Knight’s however, will be getting off on the right foot. EC Glass is not the team you want to open with, especially in city stadium in Lynchburg. EC Glass missed the playoffs last year and went 6-4, but make no mistake, the Hilltoppers and primed and ready for a redemption season. The Hilltoppers also return 9 starters on offense, as well as 9 on defense. Quarterback Dresean Kendrick is ready to lead the Hilltoppers above and beyond this year, and he knows they need to start out strong against sixteenth ranked Charlottesville.

The game is at 7:30pm at city stadium in Lynchburg.

Question for @blackknight_pride:

I thought C'Ville was pretty solid team by end of year in 2016. You beat Louisa in the reg season. My question is how did C'ville lose 4 reg season games last year? Did they just finally pull it together by end of year? Was it just a tumultuous schedule or did you lose a few you should have won? Do you think they are going to be more locked in early in the season? I think they will. The game with Glass is huge!

Question for @blackknight_pride:

I thought C'Ville was pretty solid team by end of year in 2016. You beat Louisa in the reg season. My question is how did C'ville lose 4 reg season games last year? Did they just finally pull it together by end of year? Was it just a tumultuous schedule or did you lose a few you should have won? Do you think they are going to be more locked in early in the season? I think they will. The game with Glass is huge!

So the first game of the year in 2016 was against Dominion and we got beat pretty bad, and that was back when Rakeem Davis was still QB. After that game, Sam Neale took the wheel and I think having a new quarterback than could throw better really inspired the team, and we reeled off 4 straight against Harrisonburg, William Monroe, Monticello and Fluvanna. After that we played Albemarle (eventual district champ) and went up 18-0 before we just lost it and let them come back and win. That loss was a good, tough game that could have gone either way. Then we lost to Powhatan in a game people started to think that we had come back to earth. Powhatan was very good no doubt, but we just didn't play well, and I think that transferred over to the Orange game where we got hammered. That game woke us up, and I think the boys got together and worked out some things, which allowed them to beat Western, Louisa and John Champe before losing to Woodgrove. I think the boys are mentally ready this year and should come out strong tomorrow

Good job on your preview, BK.

"OneMan" has said, "they just need to learn how to finish a game". With that many players returning, I believe they will not make the same mistakes this year.

What they can't do is let a defeat by a pretty darn good Glass team affect the rest of their season. They just need to go down there, play like they practiced, and let the results be what they will be.

Good luck to you tomorrow, and travel safe.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Should be a good game tonight. The newspaper says Coach Woody will go with the Senior Quarterback Matthew MacCallum tonight. That means DreSean Kendrick will be offense, defense and special teams. They will rotate Quarterbacks. It will be interesting to see the Glass defense versus the triple option. TPatt will hold it down! Can't wait to see the Toppers tonight! Good luck to both teams!

Last edited:
Should be a good game tonight. The newspaper says Coach Woody will go with the Senior Quarterback Matthew MacCallum tonight. That means DreSean Kendrick will be offense, defense and special teams. They will rotate Quarterbacks. It will be interesting to see the Glass defense versus the triple option. TPatt will hold it down! Can't wait to see the Toppers tonight! Good luck to both teams!
TPatt is the TRUTH! Bout time the state of VA learn!

Reactions: lyhsports
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT