ADVERTISEMENT

1A Basketball

Jan 6, 2021
Looks like Region A won't have a lot of teams participating compared to the rest of the state. Lancaster and Colonial Beach are both out. I'm not sure if Rappahannock (Richmond County) or Northumberland has made a final decision. I read that Auburn may be able to start this week (I think the school board meets tonight). I've got a chance to see a few teams and have only read up on a few scores so here is my attempt at a top 10.

1. PM - size and coaching is a significant factor in putting them at #1
2. Grundy - same reason as PM
3. Auburn - looks like they might get to play 4-5 games and play in a tournament before they get to regions; is that enough to repeat with some high quality teams out west? Millirons can keep them in any game by hiself
4. Mathews - scrappy, play hard, and lost only 1 player from last years team
5. JI Burton - honestly only looked at their record and schedule
6. Twin Springs - same reason, don't know much about them
7. Riverheads - young but will be battle tested by playing tough teams
8. Carver - upset win vs Mathews early caught my eye, don't know if they are deep enough to contend for a title
9. Altavista - lots of young kids on the roster, not sure a short season with little off season benefits them
10. George Wythe - the more time on the court the better they will get

Honorable Mention: West Point - lost 1st 2 games by a total of 5 points, have a 6'8 kid that can shoot the lights out, Galax - can slow down the pace to keep them in games vs better opponents, , Bland - has some shooters

Reactions: Mike777VSP
I saw that, I think they won by 20 after they lost by 2 at their place. Altavista played PM tough and Carver got a last second win last night.

Hard to get into it this year when the majority of Region A isn't playing and it's nearly impossible to find out schedules for many teams
I know! Been a tough year, PM plays tomorrow at Stuart’s Draft, Monday at Narrows, Wednesday at Rockbridge. Had a game scheduled Friday but was canceled today due to virus. Saturday at Grayson. IF, nothing changes. BIG IF!

Reactions: kwhs95fan
I believe there is only 6 Region 1A schools playing boys basketball and just 4 playing girls. I'm not certain about Northampton. They are not on the VHSL list of opt-outs but don't see any schedules listed

I believe there is only 6 Region 1A schools playing boys basketball and just 4 playing girls. I'm not certain about Northampton. They are not on the VHSL list of opt-outs but don't see any schedules listed
I'm pretty sure that Northampton opted out

And remember despite what this particular message board is called when you're talking about the entire state its Class 1!!!

Northampton made it official this afternoon (Jan. 25) that they have opted out of Winter sports.

So, there are five schools from Region 1A in boys' basketball and four schools in girls' basketball.
It's crazy that Region A and B had so many schools opt out, yet in Region C and D, almost every school is playing.

1. PM - size and coaching is a significant factor in putting them at #1
2. Auburn - I know it wasn't vs steep competition but they looked really good on their opening night win
3. Grundy - Big and strong kid is tough to handle at the 1A level, don't know if they have enough to surround him though
4. JI Burton - 2 wins over Twin Springs, last one being in OT (according to Maxpreps)
5. Twin Springs - same reason, don't know much about them
6. Altavista - I'll take Mike's word from PM and say they will be pretty good, quick guards and playing a pretty tough 1A schedule
7. West Point - making their 1st appearance after dominating Mathews and Carver last week (lay off may hurt them) They have a big kid who can shoot it pretty well and some solid guards. They are very young with only 1 senior who sees significant time.
8.Riverheads - young but will be battle tested by playing tough teams, solid win last night
9. George Wythe - the more time on the court the better they will get
10. Mathews - scrappy, play hard, and lost only 1 player from last years team. They are pretty good defensively but struggle to score at times. They got beat handily by WP and they also have a week layoff.

Northumberland and Rapp opened up play last night with a low scoring affair. I caught a few glimpses of it on their feed. Charles City has a really solid and athletic guard but don't know if it's enough to really compete. Region A tournament with 5 teams and very unbalanced schedule will be odd for sure (wondering how they will seed it).

I've got to watch a few more games on the network, so hopefully I'll have a better idea what some of those teams out in the far west really look like.

Last edited:
Hopefully Mathews gets back to playing Saturday, however West Point is showing the remainder of its regular season canceled on rschool

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT