ADVERTISEMENT

1st rd stat / 2nd rd upsets?

86CulpGrad

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
The top seeds won every game in the first rd in Class 4A. Of the eight #3/#4 seeded teams remaining, who has the best chance of pulling off an upset?

The top seeds won every game in the first rd in Class 4A. Of the eight #3/#4 seeded teams remaining, who has the best chance of pulling off an upset?

Hm, good question. I'm biased, but I'd say Sherando has the best chance out of any of the lower seeds to advance this weekend (but I doubt they'll be the only one). The 35-22 result of their first match up with Millbrook is misleading because the Pioneers didn't score until the 4th quarter and got 14 points in garbage time. Friday should be a closer game in part because Millbrook will have had two bye weeks recently and their last game will have been against Sherando two weeks ago. That's a long time to rest and prepare.

I agree with @DanvilleSportsHead that no one is safe, though if I had to pick a favorite to advance out of everyone, it'd be King's Fork. Their recent win over Oscar Smith is very impressive.

EV over Dinw will be big.
I sure hope the comment noted above meant ev over dinwiddie would be an upset. If you meant ev would defeat dinwiddie by a big margin then you surely must know something the rest of us dont.

I asked this before and I will politely ask again. Can someone please tell me how EV plans to attack Dinwiddie. Posters can claim all kind of things, but please tell us why.

Still dont think there are any upsets in region b, because all of the remaining 4 teams are unbeaten and have equitable since 2014 (the seniors were freshmen) Its a fan driven statement period.

EV 42-6, 5-3 playoffs
Monacan 42-8, 5-3 playoffs
Dinwiddie 42-8, 7-3 playoffs
Louisa 32-13, 1-4

Reactions: 1Gensfan
How will EV gameplan Dinwiddie? Quick outs, followed by establishing the run between the tackles and the ends, and go long on short yardage plays.

Reactions: mbonape1
I sure hope the comment noted above meant ev over dinwiddie would be an upset. If you meant ev would defeat dinwiddie by a big margin then you surely must know something the rest of us dont.

I asked this before and I will politely ask again. Can someone please tell me how EV plans to attack Dinwiddie. Posters can claim all kind of things, but please tell us why.

Still dont think there are any upsets in region b, because all of the remaining 4 teams are unbeaten and have equitable since 2014 (the seniors were freshmen) Its a fan driven statement period.

EV 42-6, 5-3 playoffs
Louisa 32-13, 1-4
Offensively they will start with the run....pretty much up the middle. Or maybe dump passes to Hunter....or deep to Thomas/Hunter/Proctor...or medium passes to Leake. Hard to tell. QB can run too.

EV 42-6, 5-3 playoffs
Louisa 32-13, 1-4

Has someone actually claimed anything about EV beating Dinwiddie? I think the person in this thread was saying it would be a big upset. Most are expecting it to be a decent game with Dinwiddie winning. I don't make predictions on here, so I will just nod my head. To ask us how EV plans to attack would be an odd question since I'm pretty sure none of us are being asked to help with that. But I would imagine EV will do exactly what they have been doing. They won't create a whole new thing for Dinwiddie. They will run the ball and ask their big kids to block, if Dinwiddie stops that, they will throw the ball to a variety of WR's. If you have seen Dinwiddie play, imagine the letters EV on their helmets, that's what we look like (on both sides of the ball). The names and players are different of course. Those that have seen both teams will say the same thing. BUT... EV doesn't have the Pope playing for them, let alone two Popes, that has to count for something ;)

Reactions: one man
EVcyc, I tend to agree with you. They are very similar in almost every way. We may have Pope(s), but EV has Hunter and co.

If the elder Pope plays offense it could create some interesting matchups for your sound secondary. The running game is the key for both teams. We will not give up on it and resort to predominately passing unless the score mandates it. I get the feeling EV will do the same. Coaching adjustments may play a major factor.

Well we know what Dinwiddie is going to do. Establish the run and keep pulling that thread till you stop it. Throw 12 -15 passes to keep you on your toes. I also expect coach Mills might pull a few more plays out of the playbook this week. You have to slow the Dinwiddie run game down to even think about getting out of there victorious. Easy to say.... hard to do.

I think Hunter is the "x" factor for EV. I think he will be the only thing that Dinwiddie hasn't seen yet this year. If he can wiggle free a few times that would be HUGE! Make Dinwiddie worry about something!

The most frustrating thing about playing Dinwiddie is they always "make their putts". They don't mess up the easy stuff. Capitalize on turnovers, hardly ever turn it over in the redzone, are usually in the PLUS when it comes to special teams. Just being solid and consistent will take you a long way in life. Then one of the Pope boys breaks one, or Sturdivant or Williams returns a kick off... That is the flash... but it is making the "layups" every time that makes them really good.

One thing that is absolutely for certain. Us diehard high school football fans are getting a treat this year.

Led by four 11-0 teams in Class 4, add in the other marquee matchups across Class 4. Toss in the other great games around the state at different Class levels, and wow. It's almost criminal that we can only take in one of these games in person this weekend.

There were some really ugly matchups in round one of the playoffs. But for the most part, the regional setup, and the power points have done what we all wanted to see. Great teams being challenged by great teams.

Is it Friday yet?????

Man, my two Popes comment went right over. You guys did note that as tongue and cheek, right? The Pope, two Popes, divine intervention.. geez

Reactions: mbonape1
Can't speak for anyone else, but Im not Catholic, so please forgive my ignorance.

Divine intervervention would be a nice thing to add to the game plan..

Dinwiddie does have a kicker that can give them 3 at anytime. The EV kicker hasn’t been asked to even give 3 I believe so that area is not clear for EV

Reactions: panther308
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT