ADVERTISEMENT

2015-2016 Attendance numbers are out!

VerizonSportsFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 2, 2003
Being in this neck of the woods ... I put the Winchester, Frederick County, Warren County and Loudoun County Schools along with Fauquier County schools together to see how all compare in population.

1701 5A Broad Run
1687 5A Stone Bridge
1672 5A Briar Woods
1634 5A Tuscararo
1633 5A Potomac Falls
1616 5A Freedom
1556 4A Woodgrove
1552 4A Sherando
1513 4A John Champe
1492 4A Dominion
1462 4A Loudoun County
1432 4A Park View
1342 4A Millbrook
1337 4A Loudoun Valley
1332 4A RockRidge
1293 4A Fauquier
1287 4A James Wood
1259 4A Handley
1236 4A Kettle Run
1227 4A Liberty
1077 3A Warren County
1073 3A Skyline
853 3A Riverside

http://bi.vita.virginia.gov/doe_bi/rdPage.aspx?rdReport=Main&subRptName=Fallmembership

Last edited:
I'm so into football right now I thought this was game attendance numbers :D

I guess we in 4A will be bidding farewell to Sherando, Woodgrove, and John Champe, yes?

I guess we in 4A will be bidding farewell to Sherando, Woodgrove, and John Champe, yes?
The VHSL changed the realignment from every 2 years to every 4. I think it will be 3 more years before teams are moved based on enrollment. Can you imagine how big Woodgrove and Champe will be by then? Champe was 3a last year, could be 6a by then.

Shersndos school board will redistrict so they don't have to like last time

Amherst #1 is correct. It has to really jump though. Sherando would be safe, but some of the Loudoun schools might be affected.

Fall of 2014 ADM's:

1940 - Tuscararo
1854 - Broad Run
1848 - Stone Bridge
1746 - Briar Woods
1610 - Potomac Falls
1546 - Woodgrove
1494 - Loudoun County
1488 - Sherando
1451 - Freedom
1445 - Dominion
1436 - Park View
1352 - Heritage
1312 - Millbrook
1311 - Loudoun Valley
1304 - James Wood
1250 - John Champe
1203 - Handley
1097 - Skyline
1028 - Warren County
801 - Rock Ridge
778 - Central
712 - Clarke
636 - Strasburg

Story from WincStar back in Februrary of 2010 when 60 kids where moved from Sherando to James Wood to remain in AA vs. getting bumped to AAA.

They want to stay
Sherando students unhappy over possible rezoning

By Danielle Nadler
The Winchester Star

Stephens City — After a 45-minute bus ride Wednesday, about a dozen Sherando High School students hung around their stop in Mountain Falls Park, chatting about the day.

The conversation turned to the possibility that the Frederick County School Board may rezone their rural neighborhood.

This would require the transfer of about 60 Sherando students who live there to James Wood High School as early as next fall.

The students rattled off reasons why they oppose a change in schools in the middle of their teen years. The feeling, they say, is nearly unanimous among those who would be affected by the rezoning.

“I feel like they’re ruining my life, in a way,” said Sherando freshman Cynthia Thomas, who has started a petition opposing the rezoning. “I love my teachers and my friends atSherando.”

The School Board is considering rezoning the Mountain Falls Park and Wardensville Grade areas in the western section of the county.

Board members will hear comments about the issue during a public hearing at 7 p.m. Thursday in the school district’s administration building, and many of the students from the affected areas say they plan to attend.

One of the reasons the board is considering the option: To reduce Sherando’s student population so the school can remain in the Group AA Northwestern District for athletics.

Its current enrollment of 1,569 students puts it over the threshold — meaning a move into Group AAA beginning in fall 2011.

That would mean more expenses for the school district to transport teams to schools farther away — along with the disruption of some local sports rivalries.

The division got a bit of bad news Tuesday, when the Virginia High School League’s Redistricting and Reclassification Committee ruled that it did not have enough information to approve Sherando’s initial request to remain in Group AA.

The school system can appeal the decision before the organization presents its final plan in May.

Regardless of how the bid to remain in Group AA turns out, the county School Board may rezone Sherando’s attendance area anyway.

“The rezoning is about more than VHSL competition. It’s about overcrowding at our school and better distributing students,” Sherando Principal John H. Nelson said, adding that the school is about 11 percent over its 1,400-student capacity.

The School Board will consider allowing current Sherando juniors to finish their senior year at the school.

But those students may have to provide their own transportation, if the board follows its procedures from similar past situations, according to board Chairman John Lamanna.
That will make it tough for Sherando junior Haley James, who does not have a car.

“I have a feeling I’ll be wearing yellow and blue my senior year,” the 17-year-old said, referring to James Wood’s colors. “A lot of us don’t have our own transportation.”

Haley added that she understands the School Board’s motives.

After all, Frederick County is facing its third consecutive year of budget cuts, pushing plans for a fourth high school farther away.

The division’s Comprehensive Improvement Plan — a tentative schedule — calls for the construction of a fourth high school to start in 2012, with a 2014 opening.

School Board Vice-Chairman Stuart Wolk compared the possibility of rezoning the district to putting a Band-Aid on something that needs surgery. But he believes it is the best choice in this case.

“What we need is a new high school, but with this economy, that’s not going to happen right away,” he said.

Schools Superintendent Patricia Taylor agreed that the rezoning is needed, because it would allow all county middle school students to attend James Wood High School — reducing the number of middle schools feeding into Sherando from four to three.

Haley, who was separated from most of her friends and classmates at Frederick County Middle School to attend Sherando, said she spent her freshman year working to make new friends.

And she plans to do the same thing during her senior year if she is transferred again.

“I’d miss art club, my friends, and my teachers, but there are bigger things out there than my needs,” Haley said. “We’re just going to have to build ourselves back up again.”

Sherando opened in 1993 with 1,150 students to relieve James Wood from overcrowding.

It’s since become the county’s largest high school.

Millbrook High, which opened in 2003, has 1,270 students; James Wood, which opened in 1950, has 1,294 students.

Sounds like it was all about athletics to me.
It sure was this is where hamspear and myself had our first falling out. Sherando and James Wood both were AAA before millbrook was built. They were part of the commonwealth district in stafford with Culpeper and Fauquier.

This will be a perfect set up for Frederick county schools, they can re -align the boundaries for a couple of years to manage the enrollment levels of the three schools, the new school will be open in 2018 and will feed off of Millbrook and Sherando primarily. Frederick county sure does keep growing, such a great place to live:)

It sure was this is where hamspear and myself had our first falling out. Sherando and James Wood both were AAA before millbrook was built. They were part of the commonwealth district in stafford with Culpeper and Fauquier.

Why are you so concerned about this?

Why are you so concerned about this?
Not concerned at all just posting facts about what happened the first go round that Sherando didn't want to be moved up. Therefor the school board amended boundaries.

This will be a perfect set up for Frederick county schools, they can re -align the boundaries for a couple of years to manage the enrollment levels of the three schools, the new school will be open in 2018 and will feed off of Millbrook and Sherando primarily. Frederick county sure does keep growing, such a great place to live:)

Of the Winchester Star articles over the last 3-6 months ... I've reading that the earliest could be 2020 for FCPS's 4th high school ... where are you hearing 2018 from?

Not concerned at all just posting facts about what happened the first go round that Sherando didn't want to be moved up. Therefor the school board amended boundaries.
There are many facts that I am sure you don't know or are not aware of. The county of Frederick will do what is best for all of the county schools. not what is best for Sherando. There is a master plan for the school system in Frederick county, that doesn't have anything to do with Athletics, although athletics are considered moderately. The school board and Frederick County leadership will do what is best for the county first, and All schools are considered in the equation, including Sherando, Millbrook , and James Wood, and the New school set to open in 2018. It is not Sherando coaches players or fans that make the decision to play in any division. That decision is made based upon many factors including past growth of sections of the county, future growth, economic factors, etc...all of which I doubt any of us on here could know " the facts" I spoke with a school board member the other day, and he explained to me some of the future growth plans in the southern part of the county, I was amazed at what I didn't know. It is enlightening to be educated on a subject sometimes when you think you know what you are talking about and really don't. I believe the Frederick county school officials have a great plan ahead, glad they are on the job!

There are many facts that I am sure you don't know or are not aware of. The county of Frederick will do what is best for all of the county schools. not what is best for Sherando. There is a master plan for the school system in Frederick county, that doesn't have anything to do with Athletics, although athletics are considered moderately. The school board and Frederick County leadership will do what is best for the county first, and All schools are considered in the equation, including Sherando, Millbrook , and James Wood, and the New school set to open in 2018. It is not Sherando coaches players or fans that make the decision to play in any division. That decision is made based upon many factors including past growth of sections of the county, future growth, economic factors, etc...all of which I doubt any of us on here could know " the facts" I spoke with a school board member the other day, and he explained to me some of the future growth plans in the southern part of the county, I was amazed at what I didn't know. It is enlightening to be educated on a subject sometimes when you think you know what you are talking about and really don't. I believe the Frederick county school officials have a great plan ahead, glad they are on the job!
Regardless at the time Sherando didn't wanna be in AAA. I really don't think it matters if they are or not now with the 6 classifications...

It matters more in non-revenue sports than it does in football. Lot more games and a lot more travelling.

Reactions: OCBoy
It matters more in non-revenue sports than it does in football. Lot more games and a lot more travelling.
Yeah travel would have been a huge burden in the old system but playing 5A would be easy with the Loudoun Schools

My cousin lives in Frederick County and I know some re-districting happened last year that moved her youngest son from one elementary school to another. Do you believe athletics was the driving force for the school board in re-districting the elementary school students?

My cousin lives in Frederick County and I know some re-districting happened last year that moved her youngest son from one elementary school to another. Do you believe athletics was the driving force for the school board in re-districting the elementary school students?
I'm not sure I don't have no clue to what's going on up there. Really doesn't matter anymore. The issue then is fixed now I believe when the vhsl went to 6 classifications

OC....it is an absurd thought that Frederick County elected officials would rezone school districts to keep one of their high schools from changing classifications. That is "the world is all about OCBoy" type of thinking on your part. It fits your soapbox. It is ridiculous. The issue is that Sherando has been overcrowded. That's all it ever was about. There are trailers outside the school for makeshift classrooms. It was about not having to add anymore. You are only allowed to have a certain number of seats per room everywhere in the building. It was about trying to make all the pieces of the puzzle fit. Sure somebody is going to be upset when they get redirected to another school, and loose spokes like you fly off that the matter is all about football games. There are kids up at the north end of Frederick County that ride a bus for nearly an hour and a half each way to get to and from James Wood High School. There is a new high school in the plans to deal with the overcrowding and projected growth. I am sure that this new school is being added just so that Sherando doesn't have to go play 5A schools, and just so that it gives you something to complain about. I hope Sherando beats who ever you root for every time. Oh, but then again, if I make a point here that is sensible your response would be...
I'm not sure I don't have no clue to what's going on up there.

There are many facts that I am sure you don't know or are not aware of. The county of Frederick will do what is best for all of the county schools. not what is best for Sherando......

Thanks for the laugh. If you believe any of the BOS for any county in VA has the best interest for anyone but themselves and cronies, then you are naive and sadly mistaken. Especially in Frederick and Clarke.

OC....it is an absurd thought that Frederick County elected officials would rezone school districts to keep one of their high schools from changing classifications. That is "the world is all about OCBoy" type of thinking on your part. It fits your soapbox. It is ridiculous. The issue is that Sherando has been overcrowded. That's all it ever was about. There are trailers outside the school for makeshift classrooms. It was about not having to add anymore. You are only allowed to have a certain number of seats per room everywhere in the building. It was about trying to make all the pieces of the puzzle fit. Sure somebody is going to be upset when they get redirected to another school, and loose spokes like you fly off that the matter is all about football games. There are kids up at the north end of Frederick County that ride a bus for nearly an hour and a half each way to get to and from James Wood High School. There is a new high school in the plans to deal with the overcrowding and projected growth. I am sure that this new school is being added just so that Sherando doesn't have to go play 5A schools, and just so that it gives you something to complain about. I hope Sherando beats who ever you root for every time. Oh, but then again, if I make a point here that is sensible your response would be...
Dude get a life don't come at me like that at no time did I come at you. I simply said it was only an issue before the 6 classification came in. And yes Sherando did not want any parts of the old AAA at that time. And who cares if they did redzone for that reason. So for you to come at me like that is crazy

4-square and kickball are highly competitive.:cool:

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I can't speak for Frederick County rezoning, but I don't believe everything rivalsnova is saying about so many seats per classroom. I just talked to the two administrators standing next to me, and they say there is no cap on number of seats per room. However, the point is moot now, since Sherando could be 5A and still stay in Northwestern district and play all the same teams in every sport until the postseason. The longer bus ride argument does not matter anymore.

I can't speak for Frederick County rezoning, but I don't believe everything rivalsnova is saying about so many seats per classroom. I just talked to the two administrators standing next to me, and they say there is no cap on number of seats per room. However, the point is moot now, since Sherando could be 5A and still stay in Northwestern district and play all the same teams in every sport until the postseason. The longer bus ride argument does not matter anymore.
And that's what I was saying it's irrelevant now because it's not the old system

Dude get a life don't come at me like that at no time did I come at you. I simply said it was only an issue before the 6 classification came in. And yes Sherando did not want any parts of the old AAA at that time. And who cares if they did redzone for that reason. So for you to come at me like that is crazy
Even if did want no parts of the old AAA, what is the difference at Sherando than all the other teams in the state. This goes on all over the state. school districts set up the enrollment at their schools they want. What is the big deal, and why even bring it up?why Sherando? Why Frederick county school? Why was Eastern View built? Culpepper could have gone 6A? Or how about Brentsville? why was was Kettle Run built? Dude , explain why all schools do this.

Even if did want no parts of the old AAA, what is the difference at Sherando than all the other teams in the state. This goes on all over the state. school districts set up the enrollment at their schools they want. What is the big deal, and why even bring it up?why Sherando? Why Frederick county school? Why was Eastern View built? Culpepper could have gone 6A? Or how about Brentsville? why was was Kettle Run built? Dude , explain why all schools do this.
I don't know about most of those schools but I do know in Culpeper they tried to keep Eastern view from being built and to build a new middle school. They wanted to convert Culpeper high and Culpeper middle into one big high school complex and compete in AAA div 6. It got shot down because it was a bandaid to an issue that would still have to be addressed a few years down the road. They as in Culpeper wanted that to happen for athletics football basketball etc it just didn't happen. And you guys make me laugh you really taking it personal for what why??

Hey, if they want to redistrict with us, they can send us all the George Ashtons they have, and they won't have to worry about building any new schools! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sherando's population numbers by the years 2003/2004 thru 2015/2016 all competing at AA level until six divisions most recently 4A.

1552 - 15/16
1488 - 14/15
1456 - 13/14
1446 - 12/13
1474 - 11/12
1514 - 10/11
1592 - 09/10
1527 - 08/09
1549 - 07/08
1448 - 06/07
1339 - 05/06
1334 - 04/05
1275 - 03/04

Sherando's population numbers by the years 2003/2004 thru 2015/2016 all competing at AA level until six divisions most recently 4A.

1552 - 15/16
1488 - 14/15
1456 - 13/14
1446 - 12/13
1474 - 11/12
1514 - 10/11
1592 - 09/10
1527 - 08/09
1549 - 07/08
1448 - 06/07
1339 - 05/06
1334 - 04/05
1275 - 03/04
And your point is?

At the pace Frederick County is growing , Sherando and Millbrook , and James wood could be 5A, if the new school is not done in time. Handley has also went up a lot in the last two years, wouldn't be surprised if they don't go up eventually. What would Winchester public schools do? Build another high school?

At the pace Frederick County is growing , Sherando and Millbrook , and James wood could be 5A, if the new school is not done in time. Handley has also went up a lot in the last two years, wouldn't be surprised if they don't go up eventually. What would Winchester public schools do? Build another high school?

Sherando yes ... Millbrook will be boarder line ... but never for JW nor Handley going to 5A ... there is no more room to build new houses in Winchester when compared to the subdivisions being built in the Sherando and Millbrook zones.

I guess we will all find out, I also see it being very close for the other schools also after re-alignment of school zones happens. :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT