ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Spartans Defense

Dec 15, 2014
My opionion on what the Salem Defense will be like next year. This will be positional based on the 4-3 defense Salem runs.

Defense:

Weak Side Defensive End- Tyler Close ( Saw small spurts of playing time throughout the year, solid player, needs to hit the weight room and get size, will have good year)

Strong Side Defensive End- Nick Hood ( Nick saw very few reps at the end of the year, during the year when the Spartans were dominating, smart kid, needs to hit the weight room and get size)

Tackle- Kenneth McCauley ( Started against Liberty Bealton and Lake Taylor and was very good but a little undisciplined, needs to gain some size in weight room, should have very nice senior year)

Nose Guard/Tackle- Johnathan Cummings ( Really didn't play all that much his Junior year, needs to get speed and agility up, should be an anchor on the defense his Senior year)

Robber- Alex Ramsey ( Back at Robber for a second season, good defensive player, should have solid Senior season)

Will Backer- Riley Fox ( Saw good time as a Sophomore, should have a great Junior year, A little more size and you have a beast out there at Will)

Mike Backer- Shaquille Howell ( Didn't see any time at Mike but I will bet good money he moves to Mike given his size and ability to hit which has been shown at Fullback from time to time)

Free Safety- Nick Wade ( As a Freshman showed great speed and athleticism, needs to gain size, should have promising Sophomore year)

Strong Safety- Kionte Burnette ( Played great as a sophomore, should have great Junior year, needs to gain size)

Cornerback- Daniel Ponton ( Played very well as a Junior, IMO should have started all year at Corner, needs to gain size and more speed, looks to be a great Senior player)

Cornerback- The other Corner spot is up for anyone who shows they can be disciplined and come up and hit when needed

Salem needs strong Corners next year because their weaknesses this year were most definite their Corners no offense to any of the boys just the honest truth.

Salem will reload and have another fine season. Always do. GL to the Spartans.

I think McDaniel may find a spot at DE and you may end up seeing Barnett and Wolfe on defense to add some size at times.

My line up:

Tackle- Kenneth McCauley (dedicated and has experience, could play guard on offense too)

Nose Guard-Jonathan Cummings (looks good at practice)

Strong End-Nick Hood (has the size and speed to take on a TE)

Robber-Ramsey (he needs a solid back up because of his offensive play) His brother would be a good choice as a back-up

Weak End-Zane McDaniel or Shaquille Howell (really a toss up...both are strong)

Mike Linebacker- Tyler Close (killed it on scout defense in practice, good instincts)

Will Linebacker-Riley Fox (hits hard, reacts well)

Free Safety- Kionte Burnette or Moushegian (he reads a play well and hits hard) or Nick Wade

Strong Safety-Dustin Swaine or Joe Quinn or Nick Wade

Corners- Daniel Ponton (he's a solid player with good instincts), Kionte Burnette (may excel in this position, needs to be someone with speed and size) or Viante Tucker (great athlete)

I think Salem should rotate more on defense to keep fresh legs on the field. They have enough talent. I'm torn over the safety positions. A lot can occur over the spring and summer in the weight room and in 7vs7!

ADVERTISEMENT