ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Spartans Offense

Dec 15, 2014
My opinion of what Salem will likely do from J.V games and Varsity games I saw this year.

Offense:

Center- Dallas Herndon (Got good reps when Hoyt went down for 2 games, looked good)

Guard- Jake Barnett (Started a few games as a Sophomore, Started all of Junior year did good, looks to be great in 2015)

Guard- Anyone's ( Up for grabs for whomever Mag thinks is gonna get the job done)

Tackle- Braxton Wall ( Got a few reps as a Sophomore, Did excellent Junior year, looks to continue his dominance in 2015)

Tackle- Should be Thomas Bassford ( Got good reps when Wall got tired and looks to move to that left side tackle)

Tight-End- Should be Tyler Close ( Got a few reps at TE this year, solid blocker, wont get the balls thrown to him like Peregoy)

Wide Receiver- Viante Tucker ( Got a few reps as a freshman, has great speed, hands need to develop slightly to be great)

Wide Receiver- Vincent Pinello ( Got a few reps as a sophomore, has great hands, looks to take Parkers spot on the short routes

Quarterback- Noah Beckley ( Got maybe a couple of plays as a Sophomore, has a strong arm, good speed, looks to be a solid Junior QB)

Running Back- Donte Clayborne ( Had a great Junior year, insane speed and mobility, looks to have a breakout Senior year)

Fullback- Alex Ramsey ( Great Junior year, was the workhorse for the Spartans once Fox went out, IS going to have a dominant Senior year running behind Barnett and Wall)

I think a couple of other guys that will likely get time in at WR when they go 4 wide would be Moushegian and Wade. Almost 100 guys came out for JV/Varsity last year, with the recent sucess reaching the semifinals or finals 3 years in a row there will be no shortage of guys competing for spots. I think your assessment of the offense looks good. One tweak I could see when they're running power-I or short yardage would be Fox at FB and Ramsey at RB.

With the last 2 years of winning most games by wide margins, a lot of guys have gotten playing time and should be a little better prepared earlier in the season than they normally would be. I'm not sure if Amherst will be improved next year, but Salem will have to be prepared early in the season for good challenges from Amherst, PH, & Northside in their first 4 games.

I watched a lot of football last year from MS all the way up and there are a number of players to be excited about. I'm not sure if Salem or any West team will be able to compete with the East powers yet, but there is excitement and momentum building towards that goal.

Salem hadn't had a Division I scholarship player in Coach Mags first 10 years, but last year had 2. I look for Ramsey to generate a lot of buzz and should be the 3rd player to get a D1 offer under Coach Mags.
This post was edited on 12/21 12:23 AM by mike salem

Mike,

Did the "little" Ramsey start for JV? I thought I remembered where someone said he was going to be just like his older brother. Man, with Alex hitting the weight room for another year, he should be a holy terror by next season. He kind kind of reminds me of Marcus Parker (except not quite as fast) from back when I played against Salem. I agree with you about the Wade kid. He seems quick and athletic from watching his HUDL highlights. Also, seems like he could be an asset on defense. For his size, he can lay the wood. A neigbor of mine (who also saw quite a few middle and JV games) said he expected Salem to be loaded for at least the next 4 years. He said they would have more athleticism and speed, especially at the skill postions. Do you agree?

There are actually 2 younger Ramsey boys- DeAngelo was a RB for JV, he's a freshman and is 5'10" 180. I haven't seen the youngest yet, Lewis, I think he was a 6th grader this year in REC league and I believe Mule said he may be the best of the bunch.

Wade is listed as a QB, but I think he will probably play at WR for the next couple of years anyway. He and Moushegian are small but they like to lay the wood on special teams and defense.

I was quite impressed with Salem and Lewis this year, overall they were 45-1 from MS up. It's hard to say what will happen at the Varsity level based on what kids do at the MS level. There are a few kids, that if they continue to develop at their current rate ahead of their peers, could certainly be special when they hit Varsity.

I believe Salem will continue to play at a very high level based on what I've seen. I think there is promise from the younger group to see more athleticism and speed, but you have to judge that against their competition. In the Roanoke area, Salem looks to continue to lead the way in football for the next few years. The only team that I saw that was close in athleticism, knowledge, and discipline, was Northside. They have a lot of talent coming down the pipeline.

I think Salem will have to start playing a schedule that includes teams from other areas. This year's team would have won the state title handily 10 years ago, but the bar has been raised since then in 4a. Broad Run, Briar Woods, Dinwiddie, and Lake Taylor were/are basically 5a teams competing at the 4a level. I just mean they are accustomed to playing at a higher level than the teams that are on Salem's schedule.

The only teams that will consistently play at a level that will prepare Salem for that level of competition is Patrick Henry and Northside. (possibly Amherst if they get back to their normal level)

Please do not spit on the opponents on the schedule. One day that could prove to be troublesome.

I mean no disrespect and certainly there could be some surprises or upsets, but I think this year highlighted the need for a tougher schedule. Of the 25 games from JV up only one opponent was on the same level or higher and that was Lake Taylor. (that would probably extend down to MS as well)The only regular season opponent Salem has played the last 2 years that was a serious state championship threat was Northside.

This post was edited on 12/21 2:46 PM by mike salem

Salem is a quality program but they play no one. They are the Powhatan of the SouthSide. A powerhouse until playoff time when they play the big kids. They only played 2 this year and won half of them. This is no longer AA. It's 4A. Don't talk about the past. This is how it is now. Everything is very different. No disrespect. I expect them to continue with their program and a long series of winning seasons but the hump is really far away.

Still, to me, that's a fine and successful HS program. Something over 90% of all HS teams would give a lot for. Well done Spartans.

actually they have been 4a competing in 5a. Lake Taylor and Salem are only 14 students difference.

I didn't mean it like that Ken, I just meant Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor are used to competing at the 5a level and winning. Broad Run and Briar Woods were basically 5a or better because the enrollment grew so fast that the VHSL couldn't reclassify quick enough. A bunch of the East teams dropped down from 5a and are used to competing against bigger schools.

I understand. Just think, now Pheobus will be 3A next year. Talk about a difference from what they are use to.

I'd like to see as much as possible to get speed on the field. It could be both training, to the extent possible, and promoting some younger players to varsity if they have speed.

I agree but don't rule out Mundy at LT and Wolfe at TE. Close killed it on defense when he got reps this year so he may just rotate at TE on offense or even play outside at WR. Wolfe is 6'3 and 200 already as a rising junior.

I agree numb3rs......we should go to an Oregon type offense, base everything on all the speed we have, spread the field, and run lots of reverses and stuff. Play fun football. Don't jump on me Mule, just LOL a bit.

I agree with you, Hokievt96. Close would be great at Z and Wolfe at TE. Mundy has good size and could play guard.

Is it all about speed now? I've been looking at these posts and wondering is that like the magic solution to the problem and why Salem lost? Get faster? I believe speed was a key factor in the game, but I also felt like where Salem ran through teams and broke tackles you finally met a team that was as strong if not stronger across the board than you were. For months I saw up here how Salem does what they do and 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but now they need to just find fast kids and throw them on the field? Doesn't that go against what Salem does?

I must be in the minority. I don't think it's all about speed. Don't get me wrong, you can't win with zero speed, but you also can lose even if you have speed at every position. I think football is like a game of chess. If you don't have people in the right positions and choose the best game plan...you will lose. Adjustments must be made during a game, just like in chess.

You also need to have kids with good football IQ who are disciplined and passionate about the game. What some players lack in speed, they can make up for with sheer passion and determination. Strength is important in the game of football. I think it is not always measured in the weight room like people think. You could bench 300, be a football moron, and ineffective on the field. Conversely, you could bench 200, read a play like no other and tackle the speed on the other team coming at you! I want to see the strength on the field...both physical and mental strength.

I know the history of "what Salem does." I like the tradition of power football, but to win you must have a balanced offense. Throw when you need to spread out a defense and run when the time is right. Like I said, it's a game of chess.

Originally posted by DEVILSLB99:
Is it all about speed now? I've been looking at these posts and wondering is that like the magic solution to the problem and why Salem lost? Get faster? I believe speed was a key factor in the game, but I also felt like where Salem ran through teams and broke tackles you finally met a team that was as strong if not stronger across the board than you were. For months I saw up here how Salem does what they do and 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but now they need to just find fast kids and throw them on the field? Doesn't that go against what Salem does?
Salem's best player only had had one carry in the game and that certainly helped the LT defense. Ramsey broke some tackles but LT definitely did a better job bringing him down than any other team this year.

This Salem team definitely was lacking in team speed compared to some other years. The 2004 team was easily the fastest and most athletic in 4a... same with the 2005 team. They have also had some teams that are huge and not as fast.

I don't think team speed is everything either but I do understand why some Salem fans want to see them improve in that area.

Originally posted by close2salem:
I must be in the minority. I don't think it's all about speed. Don't get me wrong, you can't win with zero speed, but you also can lose even if you have speed at every position. I think football is like a game of chess. If you don't have people in the right positions and choose the best game plan...you will lose. Adjustments must be made during a game, just like in chess.

You also need to have kids with good football IQ who are disciplined and passionate about the game. What some players lack in speed, they can make up for with sheer passion and determination. Strength is important in the game of football. I think it is not always measured in the weight room like people think. You could bench 300, be a football moron, and ineffective on the field. Conversely, you could bench 200, read a play like no other and tackle the speed on the other team coming at you! I want to see the strength on the field...both physical and mental strength.

I know the history of "what Salem does." I like the tradition of power football, but to win you must have a balanced offense. Throw when you need to spread out a defense and run when the time is right. Like I said, it's a game of chess.
Good post.

In particular, the bench press is probably the worst indicator of how good a player will be. Bench press strength is not functional for football and I found in my playing days that the top bench pressers were generally not good football players.

Possibly yes and my vote would be in the Spartan favor and would include their facilities, traditions and community support. Of course, that area of VA has little else to do on Friday night. Whether they are 'certainly' a better program, I would be happy to debate.

Courtland plays a much tougher schedule and works with less but continue to be successful. No player loss is insurmountable. They always reload and will be a top 10 4A in the State in 2015....again. Salem plays no one and will easily cruise to another high playoff seed where they will again be eliminated when they play the big kids. I'm happy with how Courtland does it. You're happy with how Salem does it. Everybody's happy. Happy holidays.

Speed and athleticism mean a lot. It is the primary measure of next level recruitability for a reason. Salem had decent speed and were well Coached They also had good offensive balance. They simply met a team that had more Speed and athleticism across the board running an incredibly agressive defensive scheme they just couldn't handle. Simple as that.

I said this at the beginning of the year. When it comes to a State Championship, It's often not how good you are but how good the other guy is. LT was the other guy this year.

"Courtland plays a much tougher schedule"

Courtland opponents regular season record 44-56

Salem opponents regular season record 49-51.

Courtland played 5 teams that made the playoffs.

Salem played 7 teams that made the playoffs.

Courtland played 4 teams with winning records.

Salem played 5 teams with winning records.

I don't think your statement is backed with facts.

Either Salem plays a tougher schedule than you give them credit for or Courtland's schedule is not as tough as you make it out to be.

Originally posted by shauntclair:
Possibly yes and my vote would be in the Spartan favor and would include their facilities, traditions and community support. Of course, that area of VA has little else to do on Friday night. Whether they are 'certainly' a better program, I would be happy to debate.

Courtland plays a much tougher schedule and works with less but continue to be successful. No player loss is insurmountable. They always reload and will be a top 10 4A in the State in 2015....again. Salem plays no one and will easily cruise to another high playoff seed where they will again be eliminated when they play the big kids. I'm happy with how Courtland does it. You're happy with how Salem does it. Everybody's happy. Happy holidays.
Can you respond to the much tougher schedule part again?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT