Week 4= Kecoughtan
Week 5 = Heritage
Week 6= Hampton
Week 7= Woodside
Week 8= Menchville
Week 9= Denbigh
Week10= Gloucester
Week 11= Bye

We've got our hands full next year non-district.
I wouldn't call Hburg a cupcake, wouldn't exactly call them the best team on our schedule either but they've sent guys to FCS schools each of the past two years, may not this year but their QB is son of JMU AD, 6'3 210 with big arm and young RB-DB Marcus Robinson is what I like to call a football player, depending on how he develops, he'll continue that FCS trend they've got going in two more years.
JM was very young last year and went 9-3, we 7on7 with them every summer and have scrimmaged them each of the past 4 seasons, beating us pretty good each time. Our guys will be excited about that game for those reasons. They've owned us when it doesn't count, hopefully we can return the favor when it counts.
EC Glass is without a doubt the game I have circled huge, mainly for personal reasons. My cousin and HS position coach both are on staff and I'm great friends with Woody and Lovelace, the HC and DC. Our programs both had historic seasons this past fall and we both expect to take another step this coming fall. They have my favorite football player outside of our program, Thomas Patterson. Go watch his tape, FOOTBALL player folks. Great instincts, plays hard and it's evident how much he enjoys playing. They've got a lot of young guns and I've heard great things about their offseason program thus far. The opener should be very fun.

As for our district schedule. Its much more balanced compared to last year. We finished last season with Albemarle, Powhatan, Orange, WA and Louisa after beating Monticello and Fluvanna. This year we close with Fluvanna, Louisa, Albemarle, Western, Monticello. We get Orange and Powhatan back to back after the nondistrict; with both of them similar style pro style offenses, nice to have them in consecutive weeks. AHS, WA, Monticello all run spread and we catch them consecutively. People sometimes underestimate the order in which you face you district rivals. You all know each other and you get different schemes and styles. When you go from facing spread one week to single wing to pro style back to spread to wing-t, schemes and rules can get confusing for HS kids. I'd def say we lucked up with our district slate, at least the order in which we face teams.

Now from a ranking perspective, I'd go with this.
1. Albemarle - defending champ returns QB Anderson and they keep 65 kids on the roster, they'll fill in the holes left from graduation. BI is great coach and they are top dog until they're defeated.
2. Louisa - Whalen, Bell, Smith and Thurston return as standouts. The offense is a nightmare for a DC. Their defense must improve; could probably say that about the whole district, but they have talent to make noise.
3. Orange - As talented as anybody top to bottom. The weakness appeared to be in the trenches for them, not for lack of talent again but more less lack of consistency. They lost the big backs but I'd expect them to open up the offense a bit with all the skill guys they have. Talent can't be taught and they have it, if Lohr can get them more consistent, look out!
4. Western Albemarle - Domecq is back, he's the best QB returning IMO. Can run, throughs well on the run, great with pre-snap reads. Redmond got the offense going in the 2nd half of the season, if they tighten up the defense, they'll be contending for the district title.
5. Powhatan - They lose a ton of talent but return the QB and their JV went undefeated. I know this doesn't translate all the time, which is why I have them at 5. Don't get it twisted though, they have a great coach and the kids their believe in the program. They play hard and are always tough. They'll be in the mix for sure. Keep an eye on them in scrimmage to see how the new guys are fitting into their new roles.
6. Monticello - Most would argue Jarrell is the best QB in district, I wouldn't be mad. He's got a stronger arm than Domecq, just a step below as a runner but to be honest, they're very comparable all the way around. Lloyd really impressed me with his defensive schemes a year ago, just lacked the talent to get over the hump and win those close games. Their JV wasn't great last year which is why I have them here.
7. Fluvanna - Their coach has the ball rolling, we'll see how much progress they've made and we'll also see if he can keep the homegrown talent from going to FUMA, STAB, Blue Ridge and Covenant. They had some talent on their JV, and they've always had numbers and support. Until they win a district game, you have to put them here. This could be the year. Keep grinding Flucos!

As for the Black Knights. We're working. 7 wins isn't enough and for some odd reason the numbers 57-8 keep popping up in my head. Motivation! I'll drop more on us this spring/summer once the 7 on 7 tourneys begin.

This is all my personal opinion as well. From what I know each team has returning and from watching JV games. I could be completely wrong, players could also transfer so take it with a grain of salt. By all means lets keep the convo going while the offseason slithers along. Only 1 more football game until college spring games, how depressing.

To all the teams, coaches and players out there...Keep working! The season will be here before you know it!!

My grandson plays for the BlackKnights. I prefer not to mention his name. His family is very happy with Coaching Staff. After Coach Deberry left, we gave the other guy a chance but he did not fit in well here. The Head Coach now is exactly what we need. He disciplines the boys, pushes the boys and I have not heard one of the boys who has recently played for him, talk of nothing but respect of the man. And.... he wins. We are very happy you are in Charlottesville and you have this city's support. Keep working them hard Coach.

My grandson plays for the BlackKnights. I prefer not to mention his name. His family is very happy with Coaching Staff. After Coach Deberry left, we gave the other guy a chance but he did not fit in well here. The Head Coach now is exactly what we need. He disciplines the boys, pushes the boys and I have not heard one of the boys who has recently played for him, talk of nothing but respect of the man. And.... he wins. We are very happy you are in Charlottesville and you have this city's support. Keep working them hard Coach.
And, having Coach Cherebin as an assistant is a big asset as well.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Salem out of district. Dinwiddie, Amherst, Franklin County,. Northside. In district: Patrick Henry, Pulaski, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley. If they go undefeated with that schedule they will without question be the number 1 team in 4a going into the playoffs

Salem out of district. Dinwiddie, Amherst, Franklin County,. Northside. In district: Patrick Henry, Pulaski, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley. If they go undefeated with that schedule they will without question be the number 1 team in 4a going into the playoffs
Man that a weak ass OOD schedule , what's up Mike ? Y'all trying to suck or something?

Courtland Cougar schedule for 2017
@Louisa - Toss up
@Stafford- Win
Liberty Bealton- Win
@eastern View- More then likely hard fought close loss
@King George- Win
Fauquier- Win
Chancellor- Win
JM- Toss up
@Caroline- Win
Spotsylvania- Win
Another young team for 2017 (17 starters back), just not as young as 2016 squad. If JC gets a QB? this team can take the toss up games and be a tough out come playoffs. The one and done last season against Dinwiddie, will play huge dividends, as the youngsters got a taste of the big time!

Last edited:
That Liberty win is aggressive, they could be improved big time. Louosa is a toss up? With what they got returning ? Could be wrong but pretty aggressive calling out wins and losses this time of year. But I like it !!

Courtland Cougar schedule for 2017
@Louisa - Toss up
@Stafford- Win
Liberty Bealton- Win
@eastern View- More then likely hard fought close loss
@King George- Win
Fauquier- Win
Chancellor- Win
JM- Toss up
@Caroline- Win
Spotsylvania- Win
Another young team for 2017 (17 starters back), just not as young as 2016 squad. If JC gets a QB? this team can take the toss up games and be a tough out come playoffs. The one and done last season against Dinwiddie, will play huge dividends, as the youngsters got a taste of the big time!
This is a JC Hall team. They will be good because they will execute, despite their abysmal performance last season where they actually needed Freshmen to make a Varsity squad. Something I never thought was a possibility under any circumstances but it happened.

Courtland does not need a QB. They need a ball handler and game manager. Over the last 20 years, they have had plenty of QB talent. Some kids that can really spin it. They don't use them. They hand the ball off. They use Ferraris to go grocery shopping. That's just who they are. A DCs dream opponent because they essentially only run 10 plays. 5 left and 5 right. Pass defense is not a requirement against the Cougars.

Aggressive I know but what the heck. I am just going off from what I can remember about what teams have coming back and how we fared against them last year. Liberty, we left 3 scores on the field because of fumbles as it was a wet game. CT JV beat theirs last year and we are returning a lot more then they do. Does this automatically translate into a win? nope, just a gut feeling. Louisa is going to be tough, but they lost some key pieces, but do return the backfield which will be very formidable at best. Our 6'3 350 pounder Mr. Fields did not play in that game and the rest of the youngsters didn't react to the single wing formations very well. So, no disrespect at all towards any team, I believe that we are going to be very improved and more able to match up. You also have to throw into the mix transfers in and out that will affect a team, I know CT is losing one that will not hurt and is gaining one big boy! No names until show time:) Anyway, I think the Louisa game will be nip and tuck, It is at Louisa!:rolleyes: so probably a Loss. Good luck all in 2017 should be a lot of fun.

This is a JC Hall team. They will be good because they will execute, despite their abysmal performance last season where they actually needed Freshmen to make a Varsity squad. Something I never thought was a possibility under any circumstances but it happened.

Courtland does not need a QB. They need a ball handler and game manager. Over the last 20 years, they have had plenty of QB talent. Some kids that can really spin it. They don't use them. They hand the ball off. They use Ferraris to go grocery shopping. That's just who they are. A DCs dream opponent because they essentially only run 10 plays. 5 left and 5 right. Pass defense is not a requirement against the Cougars.
For the most part yes.....but the minute your safeties start cheating up to the line a little, they will hit you over the top for an easy 6.

Sherando schedule is not what it has been, I guess I tend to lean towards the tougher the opponents the tougher you will be in the end . I know that theory didn't prove correct last year , but I am sticking with it. This schedule with the new district , was pretty much out of the Football teams hands. Still a decent schedule, I was hoping we could drop Jefferson, and keep Fort Hill, but I am sure there was date conflicts.

Week 1 = James Wood
Week 2= Jefferson WV
week 3 = Broadway
Week 4= Loudoun Valley
Week 5 = Liberty Bealton
Week 6= bye
Week 7= Martinsburg WV
Week 8= Kettle Run
Week 9= Handley
Week10= Fauquier
Week 11= Millbrook

Hamspear-
Do you know how they are going to decide the Northwestern District Champion in the new 13 team district with there being an even mix of 4a and 3a schools? I know the VHSL is going back to 4 regions and I believe they are also going back to awarding district champions automatic playoff births. So will the Northwestern have a 4a and a 3a district champion? I also know the 3a schools are not required to play 4a schools within the district - so how does Handley having 3a Northwestern District opponents Warren County and Skyline on the schedule affect their overall district standing when Sherando does not play these schools? I am assuming the district games against 3a opponents does not affect district standing for the 4a teams - but really have no idea how this is going to play out.

Just wondering if you had any insight.

Hamspear-
Do you know how they are going to decide the Northwestern District Champion in the new 13 team district with there being an even mix of 4a and 3a schools? I know the VHSL is going back to 4 regions and I believe they are also going back to awarding district champions automatic playoff births. So will the Northwestern have a 4a and a 3a district champion? I also know the 3a schools are not required to play 4a schools within the district - so how does Handley having 3a Northwestern District opponents Warren County and Skyline on the schedule affect their overall district standing when Sherando does not play these schools? I am assuming the district games against 3a opponents does not affect district standing for the 4a teams - but really have no idea how this is going to play out.

Just wondering if you had any insight.
I have not heard how that will work, but I know the person who would probably know this stuff. I will get back to you in a few days , unless someone else on here can already answer that question for you.
Good question

I'm all but positive there will NOT be any automatic berths for any reason.

Reconition of a District Champion is solely a choice by a district, and has no purpose beyond that.

Of course, I could be wrong, but all the information I have been privilege to says that.

How you are going to crown a Northwestern District champ should be a real challenge. Maybe using the Modified Points System, and name both a Class 3 and a Class 4 champ?

Because of beating Dinwiddie?

Yes. They have.
There are two circumstances Courtland throws. 3rd and very long. That makes it 50/50. The other is if you turn the ball over at the fifty or your 40. At this time, Hall likes to go for the throat and will throw the long fade down the left. That's pretty much it.

There are two circumstances Courtland throws. 3rd and very long. That makes it 50/50. The other is if you turn the ball over at the fifty or your 40. At this time, Hall likes to go for the throat and will throw the long fade down the left. That's pretty much it.
Not saying you're wrong....I just know in a couple games 2 years ago, I saw J. Allen about 15-yds past the line of scrimmage and everybody else was within 5-yds of the line....safety says "uh-oh"

Because of beating Dinwiddie?
If they beat Dinwiddie, beat defending 3a champ Blacksburg (now 4a), 6a Franklin County, and 5a Patrick Henry, and Amherst I think they will have enough points to be ranked 1 in the playoffs . But that is a big IF

If they beat Dinwiddie, beat defending 3a champ Blacksburg (now 4a), 6a Franklin County, and 5a Patrick Henry, and Amherst I think they will have enough points to be ranked 1 in the playoffs . But that is a big IF
The Dinwiddie game I would say is true quality win , Blacksburg will lose by at least two Td's to Salem. Amherst always a quality opponent but not what they have been in the past. The other two, in my opinion are easy wins for Salem. Salem goes 10-0 if they beat Dinwiddie, take the to the bank.

The Dinwiddie game I would say is true quality win , Blacksburg will lose by at least two Td's to Salem. Amherst always a quality opponent but not what they have been in the past. The other two, in my opinion are easy wins for Salem. Salem goes 10-0 if they beat Dinwiddie, take the to the bank.
I agree 100% but the Dinwiddie game will be pay back. Plain and simple. It could actually be an ugly loss for the Spartans. But nobody thought Salem would win the Championship game in either of the last two season's either. Yet they did.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead

I don't know about Salem winning by two TD's over Blacksburg. Two questions about that game. First, where will it be played and second, which game is it in the schedule? And a more minor question, who and where does Salem play the week before Blacksburg?

I saw Blacksburg's win in Williamsburg, and they looked pretty darn good. And I think I heard that they loose virtually no impact players to graduation?

I agree 100% but the Dinwiddie game will be pay back. Plain and simple. It could actually be an ugly loss for the Spartans. But nobody thought Salem would win the Championship game in either of the last two season's either. Yet they did.
If Salem gets quality QB play, they could be better this coming season than the last.
And I ain't Spartan.lol

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I don't know about Salem winning by two TD's over Blacksburg. Two questions about that game. First, where will it be played and second, which game is it in the schedule? And a more minor question, who and where does Salem play the week before Blacksburg?

I saw Blacksburg's win in Williamsburg, and they looked pretty darn good. And I think I heard that they loose virtually no impact players to graduation?
To the bank, two Td's. I will eat the crow

I'll wait until I get answers to my questions, but it's awful hard not to agree that Salem can and will be a major force for every opponent.
I think Northside is the week before. I know the game is at Blacksburg. They have the big 3 returning Jr QB, Sr RB /LB?, & the Jr WR/RB/CB. They do lose Shelton OL/DL, not sure who else they return or graduate?

I think Northside is the week before. I know the game is at Blacksburg. They have the big 3 returning Jr QB, Sr RB /LB?, & the Jr WR/RB/CB. They do lose Shelton OL/DL, not sure who else they return or graduate?
They have lost a few solid OL and Shelton. Have a pretty good safety back, two very good WRs, Beck at RB and the QB. Pretty loaded team that will actually be good again two years from now also.

According to the Salem schedule that you so graciously posted a few weeks ago, the Spartans play at Blacksburg in week five, after playing at Northside the previous Friday. I guess the fashionable cliche would be that Northside is a classic "trap game", falling as it does in between the huge Dinwiddie and Blacksburg contests.

According to the Salem schedule that you so graciously posted a few weeks ago, the Spartans play at Blacksburg in week five, after playing at Northside the previous Friday. I guess the fashionable cliche would be that Northside is a classic "trap game", falling as it does in between the huge Dinwiddie and Blacksburg contests.
The Blacksburg game will be tough because Blacksburg has lost so little. The Dinwiddie game will be even harder because the Generals want pay back. But Northside is still reconstructing a program torn apart. I don't see that as a trap game at all.

Bburg loses no skill players, in fact they have a couple more impact kids coming up from JV that are ready to contribute. They also have both DE's that were recognized with post season awards returning. Both of them have added a bunch of size and strength. The middle backers return as well as the corners. Another strength will be the return of the top kicker and punter in the state. This team is primed for another run.

Bburg loses no skill players, in fact they have a couple more impact kids coming up from JV that are ready to contribute. They also have both DE's that were recognized with post season awards returning. Both of them have added a bunch of size and strength. The middle backers return as well as the corners. Another strength will be the return of the top kicker and punter in the state. This team is primed for another run.

Fate sure placed them in a good position for their first year moving up to Class 4. It will be fun watching them come playoff time.

Wise is obviously a great kicker, but Salem's Craft is toe to toe with him as far as best kicker in the state imo. Kicking the game winning FG in '15 & kicking a 39 yarder last year in a game that was decided on the last play definitely makes him a clutch player. He is a 2 time VHSL All State kicker in 4A. He kicked a 49 yd FG against Northside. In the last 2 years he's missed less than 10 XP/FG's out of approximately 160 kicks.

I'm very impressed with what Blacksburg has been able to accomplish since Wells took over. They return a lot of key players that were responsible for a championship. Moving up to 4A will be a tough task no question, but I think they will make a smooth transition with all of the weapons they have returning. Giles, Botetourt, Amherst, & Richlands OOD is as tough as it gets. Combine that with playing Salem and PH in district and they should be well prepared for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Wise is obviously a great kicker, but Salem's Craft is toe to toe with him as far as best kicker in the state imo. Kicking the game winning FG in '15 & kicking a 39 yarder last year in a game that was decided on the last play definitely makes him a clutch player. He is a 2 time VHSL All State kicker in 4A. He kicked a 49 yd FG against Northside. In the last 2 years he's missed less than 10 XP/FG's out of approximately 160 kicks.

I'm very impressed with what Blacksburg has been able to accomplish since Wells took over. They return a lot of key players that were responsible for a championship. Moving up to 4A will be a tough task no question, but I think they will make a smooth transition with all of the weapons they have returning. Giles, Botetourt, Amherst, & Richlands OOD is as tough as it gets. Combine that with playing Salem and PH in district and they should be well prepared for the playoffs.
It will be very interesting to see if Bburg is ready to challenge Salem. Salem is and has been the measuring stick for everyone else.

I like all of that.

Especially important, and many lose sight of this, is how much impact in regard to field position and added scoring capabilities, a really good kicker is. He enhances every part of the game to another level that most teams cannot match.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT