2019 Region 4B Playoffs W/Addition of Varina & Henrico

Discussion in 'Class 4A (Fall)' started by CRF4Dan, Jul 30, 2020.

1. CRF4Dan

CRF4Dan Richmond Region Football Writer
    Staff
    Expand Collapse

Just for fun I looked at the ratings for Region 4B with Atlee, Henrico, Matoaca & Varina added in the mix... here is what the playoffs would have looked like.

#8 Dinwiddie at #1 Varina
    #7 Spotsylvania at #2 Louisa
    #6 Patrick Henry-Ashland at #3 Monacan
    #5 Henrico at #4 Eastern View

2. iDidntGetBanned

iDidntGetBanned VaPreps Honorable Mention
    Expand Collapse

Henrico almost beat Highland Springs in the playoffs. EV would lose by at least 2 scores to the Warriors. I do believe a healthy Louisa team would’ve gave Varina a hell of a game in the championship.

3. 86CulpGrad

86CulpGrad VaPreps All District
    Expand Collapse

I would disagree with that, but that's ok. Henrico also had a 14-7 game with PH-Ash. They would be competitive but I don't see them dominating anyone. Varina is better on a more consistent basis.

WP02alum and iDidntGetBanned like this.
  4. iDidntGetBanned

Expand Collapse

Henrico has been pretty good the past 5 years. Most seasons their record says more about their discipline more than it does talent. They will make a lot of noise in basketball. They have the best head coach in the Richmond area IMO.

5. mbonape1

mbonape1 VaPreps Honorable Mention
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Henrico has had a good squad and will be good in class 4. However, I do not think they would have won the 4B regional title in any of the last 5 years. Varina would have for sure last year. Agree that Louisa would have faired best but I think Varina was head and shoulders better than anyone in class 4 last year.

CRF4Dan and iDidntGetBanned like this.
  6. iDidntGetBanned

Expand Collapse

Varina and Henrico would’ve faired well in the past 3 years. I believe Henrico could’ve actually won the region (and Class 4) in 2018 and Varina would’ve won it easily this past year. The 2017 Varina & Henrico teams would’ve been a nightmare first round game for any of the top 4 undefeated teams that year. Remember, Varina’s JV team beat the snot out of Bird in the first round (12 starters were out hurt) before losing to one of the better Herm teams of the decade the following week, 21-7. Those same kids who played young were juniors and seniors this past year. Henrico is always one of those wildcards. Fast athletes, big bodies, extremely physical but sometimes a little undisciplined. They always have a low key ATH that has a VT or JMU or UR offer. I look for Varina to pick up where Lake Taylor left off (I expect them to win at least 3 championships in Class 4 with the talent they have in that program) & for Henrico to be very competitive. Henrico’s basketball program will benefit a lot from this move.

7. EPJr

EPJr VaPreps All District
    Expand Collapse

I am asking because I don't know.-
    The schools are here because they have lost students
    Are we saying that none of those students were athletes
    and that their programs will still be on the levels they were when they were C5?

aw19752 likes this.
  8. EPJr

Expand Collapse

you cannot have 21 schools and only take 8. That would be criminal.
    They need to take 12; the top six teams from each section.
    they cross over in basketball so hopefully they will do the same in football.

9. iDidntGetBanned

Expand Collapse

I’m sure some of the students that these programs are losing are athletes. I wouldn’t expect a drop off from either program though. Varina has been flirting with Class 4 enrollment the past few years. They’ve been to the state semifinals in basketball for the past 4 years straight, state semifinals in football this past year and has sent a bevy of kids to big time programs in both sports (even though most transferred from their basketball program, they still were one of the best teams in the state this year). Fact is, if you have a good coaching staff in the 804, talent will come to you.

CRF4Dan likes this.
  10. EPJr

Expand Collapse

thanx

iDidntGetBanned likes this.
  11. WHI

WHI
    Expand Collapse

Is EV too far away from anyone to get respect? They have beat Louisa the last 2 times they have played - was poised to beat an LT team that was supposedly going to beat them by 3-5 scores but held Malik Newton to 49 yards - yes 49 yards - Consistently overlooked and consistently over performing by the comments and props from the board here? If they were allowed class 3 exception like say sherando would have 3 maybe 4 rings ? Educate me ?

12. iDidntGetBanned

Expand Collapse

They wouldn’t have 3 or 4 lol.. They would be good comp for Heritage and Hopewell though.

13. WHI

WHI
    Expand Collapse

Only EV heritage I got to see was at UVA 7v7 a few years ago and EV stomped em in semis - LOl really? Guess when I don’t see any respect it’s for real no respect guess because they are only 10-12 years old - ok can’t do anything but keep on winning - just sayin that every person on here just keeps saying they will Lose by 2-3-4-5 scores and it just doesn’t happen then the excuses come —— the Dinwiddie game this year they had 3 best players out and still gave them a game —— if it was Salem without Ramsey it would be excuses Gallore - EV -doesn’t matter they were all out - just aren’t that good —- again just keep winning -

14. mbonape1

mbonape1 VaPreps Honorable Mention
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

To me, EV is very good and absolutely in the discussion for a title every year. They have been right there just haven’t gotten over the hump. There are a lot of teams that fit into that bucket. Winning a state title is HARD! I think EV can play with anyone in class 4 outside of Varina last year who I have said is a cut above everyone IMO. The last 5 years in 4B EV has been incredible.
    Dinwiddie
    Louisa
    EV
    Monacan
    Would be my ranking based on the last 5 years. If I went last 5-7 years I would swap EV and Louisa.
    Let’s not start that Woa is me and EV is an underdog. EV has a whale of a program and is always a serious contender. The overwhelming sentiment here is an already loaded 4B just got that much harder. That is undeniable.

iDidntGetBanned, CRF4Dan and EPJr like this.
  15. iDidntGetBanned

Expand Collapse

EV gets respect but I believe EV is in the same category as GW, Glass, King’s Fork, Sherando (even though they have a state championship appearance), and Monacan. Very good athletes year in and year out, but can never get over the hump. If we’re looking at 4B as a whole, I think they’re a top 5 (with Varina added) and a top 10 program in Class 4 in all. That shows you just how good the region is. It’s no secret that Dinwiddie leads the pack. 2-3 is tough because Louisa has a state appearance BUT Monacan plays in one of the toughest districts in VA and those guys win and Henderson is one of the best in the 804. EV is certainly no slouch and a lot of programs wish they could accomplish what the Cyclones have in the past 6 years. If EV played in the West, they or Salem would probably be in the state championship every year.

16. OCBoy

OCBoy VaPreps All Region
    Expand Collapse

Until EV wins a championship they will always be the under dog. Easy fix. Work harder and just win a championship. Enough about getting respect.

mbonape1 and iDidntGetBanned like this.