ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Region 4B Playoffs W/Addition of Varina & Henrico

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Just for fun I looked at the ratings for Region 4B with Atlee, Henrico, Matoaca & Varina added in the mix... here is what the playoffs would have looked like.

#8 Dinwiddie at #1 Varina
#7 Spotsylvania at #2 Louisa
#6 Patrick Henry-Ashland at #3 Monacan
#5 Henrico at #4 Eastern View

Henrico almost beat Highland Springs in the playoffs. EV would lose by at least 2 scores to the Warriors. I do believe a healthy Louisa team would’ve gave Varina a hell of a game in the championship.

Henrico almost beat Highland Springs in the playoffs. EV would lose by at least 2 scores to the Warriors. I do believe a healthy Louisa team would’ve gave Varina a hell of a game in the championship.
I would disagree with that, but that's ok. Henrico also had a 14-7 game with PH-Ash. They would be competitive but I don't see them dominating anyone. Varina is better on a more consistent basis.

I would disagree with that, but that's ok. Henrico also had a 14-7 game with PH-Ash. They would be competitive but I don't see them dominating anyone. Varina is better on a more consistent basis.
Henrico has been pretty good the past 5 years. Most seasons their record says more about their discipline more than it does talent. They will make a lot of noise in basketball. They have the best head coach in the Richmond area IMO.

Henrico has been pretty good the past 5 years. Most seasons their record says more about their discipline more than it does talent. They will make a lot of noise in basketball. They have the best head coach in the Richmond area IMO.

Henrico has had a good squad and will be good in class 4. However, I do not think they would have won the 4B regional title in any of the last 5 years. Varina would have for sure last year. Agree that Louisa would have faired best but I think Varina was head and shoulders better than anyone in class 4 last year.

Henrico has had a good squad and will be good in class 4. However, I do not think they would have won the 4B regional title in any of the last 5 years. Varina would have for sure last year. Agree that Louisa would have faired best but I think Varina was head and shoulders better than anyone in class 4 last year.
Varina and Henrico would’ve faired well in the past 3 years. I believe Henrico could’ve actually won the region (and Class 4) in 2018 and Varina would’ve won it easily this past year. The 2017 Varina & Henrico teams would’ve been a nightmare first round game for any of the top 4 undefeated teams that year. Remember, Varina’s JV team beat the snot out of Bird in the first round (12 starters were out hurt) before losing to one of the better Herm teams of the decade the following week, 21-7. Those same kids who played young were juniors and seniors this past year. Henrico is always one of those wildcards. Fast athletes, big bodies, extremely physical but sometimes a little undisciplined. They always have a low key ATH that has a VT or JMU or UR offer. I look for Varina to pick up where Lake Taylor left off (I expect them to win at least 3 championships in Class 4 with the talent they have in that program) & for Henrico to be very competitive. Henrico’s basketball program will benefit a lot from this move.

Varina and Henrico would’ve faired well in the past 3 years. I believe Henrico could’ve actually won the region (and Class 4) in 2018 and Varina would’ve won it easily this past year. The 2017 Varina & Henrico teams would’ve been a nightmare first round game for any of the top 4 undefeated teams that year. Remember, Varina’s JV team beat the snot out of Bird in the first round (12 starters were out hurt) before losing to one of the better Herm teams of the decade the following week, 21-7. Those same kids who played young were juniors and seniors this past year. Henrico is always one of those wildcards. Fast athletes, big bodies, extremely physical but sometimes a little undisciplined. They always have a low key ATH that has a VT or JMU or UR offer. I look for Varina to pick up where Lake Taylor left off (I expect them to win at least 3 championships in Class 4 with the talent they have in that program) & for Henrico to be very competitive. Henrico’s basketball program will benefit a lot from this move.
I am asking because I don't know.-
The schools are here because they have lost students
Are we saying that none of those students were athletes
and that their programs will still be on the levels they were when they were C5?

Reactions: aw19752
Just for fun I looked at the ratings for Region 4B with Atlee, Henrico, Matoaca & Varina added in the mix... here is what the playoffs would have looked like.

#8 Dinwiddie at #1 Varina
#7 Spotsylvania at #2 Louisa
#6 Patrick Henry-Ashland at #3 Monacan
#5 Henrico at #4 Eastern View
you cannot have 21 schools and only take 8. That would be criminal.
They need to take 12; the top six teams from each section.
they cross over in basketball so hopefully they will do the same in football.

I am asking because I don't know.-
The schools are here because they have lost students
Are we saying that none of those students were athletes
and that their programs will still be on the levels they were when they were C5?
I’m sure some of the students that these programs are losing are athletes. I wouldn’t expect a drop off from either program though. Varina has been flirting with Class 4 enrollment the past few years. They’ve been to the state semifinals in basketball for the past 4 years straight, state semifinals in football this past year and has sent a bevy of kids to big time programs in both sports (even though most transferred from their basketball program, they still were one of the best teams in the state this year). Fact is, if you have a good coaching staff in the 804, talent will come to you.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
I’m sure some of the students that these programs are losing are athletes. I wouldn’t expect a drop off from either program though. Varina has been flirting with Class 4 enrollment the past few years. They’ve been to the state semifinals in basketball for the past 4 years straight, state semifinals in football this past year and has sent a bevy of kids to big time programs in both sports (even though most transferred from their basketball program, they still were one of the best teams in the state this year). Fact is, if you have a good coaching staff in the 804, talent will come to you.
thanx

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Is EV too far away from anyone to get respect? They have beat Louisa the last 2 times they have played - was poised to beat an LT team that was supposedly going to beat them by 3-5 scores but held Malik Newton to 49 yards - yes 49 yards - Consistently overlooked and consistently over performing by the comments and props from the board here? If they were allowed class 3 exception like say sherando would have 3 maybe 4 rings ? Educate me ?

Is EV too far away from anyone to get respect? They have beat Louisa the last 2 times they have played - was poised to beat an LT team that was supposedly going to beat them by 3-5 scores but held Malik Newton to 49 yards - yes 49 yards - Consistently overlooked and consistently over performing by the comments and props from the board here? If they were allowed class 3 exception like say sherando would have 3 maybe 4 rings ? Educate me ?
They wouldn’t have 3 or 4 lol.. They would be good comp for Heritage and Hopewell though.

Only EV heritage I got to see was at UVA 7v7 a few years ago and EV stomped em in semis - LOl really? Guess when I don’t see any respect it’s for real no respect guess because they are only 10-12 years old - ok can’t do anything but keep on winning - just sayin that every person on here just keeps saying they will Lose by 2-3-4-5 scores and it just doesn’t happen then the excuses come —— the Dinwiddie game this year they had 3 best players out and still gave them a game —— if it was Salem without Ramsey it would be excuses Gallore - EV -doesn’t matter they were all out - just aren’t that good —- again just keep winning -

Only EV heritage I got to see was at UVA 7v7 a few years ago and EV stomped em in semis - LOl really? Guess when I don’t see any respect it’s for real no respect guess because they are only 10-12 years old - ok can’t do anything but keep on winning - just sayin that every person on here just keeps saying they will Lose by 2-3-4-5 scores and it just doesn’t happen then the excuses come —— the Dinwiddie game this year they had 3 best players out and still gave them a game —— if it was Salem without Ramsey it would be excuses Gallore - EV -doesn’t matter they were all out - just aren’t that good —- again just keep winning -

To me, EV is very good and absolutely in the discussion for a title every year. They have been right there just haven’t gotten over the hump. There are a lot of teams that fit into that bucket. Winning a state title is HARD! I think EV can play with anyone in class 4 outside of Varina last year who I have said is a cut above everyone IMO. The last 5 years in 4B EV has been incredible.
Dinwiddie
Louisa
EV
Monacan
Would be my ranking based on the last 5 years. If I went last 5-7 years I would swap EV and Louisa.
Let’s not start that Woa is me and EV is an underdog. EV has a whale of a program and is always a serious contender. The overwhelming sentiment here is an already loaded 4B just got that much harder. That is undeniable.

EV gets respect but I believe EV is in the same category as GW, Glass, King’s Fork, Sherando (even though they have a state championship appearance), and Monacan. Very good athletes year in and year out, but can never get over the hump. If we’re looking at 4B as a whole, I think they’re a top 5 (with Varina added) and a top 10 program in Class 4 in all. That shows you just how good the region is. It’s no secret that Dinwiddie leads the pack. 2-3 is tough because Louisa has a state appearance BUT Monacan plays in one of the toughest districts in VA and those guys win and Henderson is one of the best in the 804. EV is certainly no slouch and a lot of programs wish they could accomplish what the Cyclones have in the past 6 years. If EV played in the West, they or Salem would probably be in the state championship every year.

Your mouth to Gods ears - the ring is the goal every year it’s the proof for sure - if EV ever does get there I’ll be interested to see what is said - Especially from someone w a long history of EV doubt (putting it politely) OC -

Your mouth to Gods ears - the ring is the goal every year it’s the proof for sure - if EV ever does get there I’ll be interested to see what is said - Especially from someone w a long history of EV doubt (putting it politely) OC -
Will definitely be harder now. It would be in the best interest of EV to schedule the Martinsburg’s and Louisa’s/Varina’s or even some of the 5A Richmond schools during the out of district. No doubt that they have the talent, I just think they suffer from playing a weak schedule every year.

The year before last, Henrico was the team to beat! Their all everything qb came back for his Senior season and they did have a nice team. Problem was.... they gad to deal with Highland Springs! They got beat 40-6 in ghe regular season and again 40-6 in the Region Final, finishing 10-2. If Henrico was 'going to do it', it would've been that year. Henrico ALWAYS has discipline issues! Until they clean that up, they'll always have problems being elite!

The year before last, Henrico was the team to beat! Their all everything qb came back for his Senior season and they did have a nice team. Problem was.... they gad to deal with Highland Springs! They got beat 40-6 in ghe regular season and again 40-6 in the Region Final, finishing 10-2. If Henrico was 'going to do it', it would've been that year. Henrico ALWAYS has discipline issues! Until they clean that up, they'll always have problems being elite!
Oh yeah, that was their chance to do something at the 5A level. To be fair, no team in the state were within 4 TDs of Highland Springs in 2018. They were just that good.

That’s one of those damned if you do damned if you don’t conversations - schedule sherando Louisa and Martinsburg - get 5 guys out of top 11 out w injuries how Are you better prepped or ready for for Louisa LT or Salem come playoff time?

I know -you can have injuries in PE at school and everyone deals w them but those knock down drag out games we love to see take their toll on teams every year- we have all seen coaches crucified for leaving a kid in too long and gets hurt or scheduling a murderers row schedule that takes its toll - I’m in for the see how we stack up games regular season

-IMO EV would Play Louisa sherando and liberty every year if they get the games -All have distance that works and have played each other before - I love the EV Louisa games seen all since 2012 at both stadiums great games great atmospheres - huge community turn outs - and get to see a potential PO matchup during season- win win win

As a fan getting to see EV against a 5-0 Handley PO bound liberty Sherando and Chancellor w 4 D1 athletes in one year was awesome - team was beat to hell and had to many injuries to count - but man what great games -I know Matos gets most of the fanfare w good reason from that class but Jason Brown was a kid I thought should have gone FCS even if not as a QB -

with the scramble for games in the spring if they happen who knows what we will see-

That’s one of those damned if you do damned if you don’t conversations - schedule sherando Louisa and Martinsburg - get 5 guys out of top 11 out w injuries how Are you better prepped or ready for for Louisa LT or Salem come playoff time?

I know -you can have injuries in PE at school and everyone deals w them but those knock down drag out games we love to see take their toll on teams every year- we have all seen coaches crucified for leaving a kid in too long and gets hurt or scheduling a murderers row schedule that takes its toll - I’m in for the see how we stack up games regular season

-IMO EV would Play Louisa sherando and liberty every year if they get the games -All have distance that works and have played each other before - I love the EV Louisa games seen all since 2012 at both stadiums great games great atmospheres - huge community turn outs - and get to see a potential PO matchup during season- win win win

As a fan getting to see EV against a 5-0 Handley PO bound liberty Sherando and Chancellor w 4 D1 athletes in one year was awesome - team was beat to hell and had to many injuries to count - but man what great games -I know Matos gets most of the fanfare w good reason from that class but Jason Brown was a kid I thought should have gone FCS even if not as a QB -

with the scramble for games in the spring if they happen who knows what we will see-
My thing is, for every cupcake you play (Culpepper, Charlottesville, Caroline, Orange) you need at least 2-3 big games. Salem does it every year, Dinwiddie does it every year. EV does not get that in the Battlefield. So yes, a schedule consisting of Massaponax, Salem, Louisa, and Varina plus their district would prep them better for playoff time.

Reactions: OCBoy
Maybe you didn’t read past the first line - I agree and hope EV gets games w Sherando Louisa at least then maybe a big game w a martinsburg can happen post COVID mania

Maybe you didn’t read past the first line - I agree and hope EV gets games w Sherando Louisa at least then maybe a big game w a martinsburg can happen post COVID mania
I’m hopeful that this spring is one of those free for all’s. I’ve heard that if there’s no playoffs, it’ll be a lot of very good matchups that you wouldn’t normally see.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
EV has played Sherando many times over the years since its been a football program. It was EV who dropped Sherando the last time. It will be tough for Sherando to have but a couple of OOD games now because of how big the Northwestern has become . It only leaves a couple games that they have to play. I enjoyed the EV /Sherando games and EV has come a long way in the young existence they have.

It’s not doubt it’s what needs to be said. I will support them any day but until that schedule is fixed there will be criticism from everyone.i truly believe their best shot to have gotten it done would have been the year they lost to Lake Taylor on the last play. That Woodgrove game would have been some kind of different imo

My thing is, for every cupcake you play (Culpepper, Charlottesville, Caroline, Orange) you need at least 2-3 big games. Salem does it every year, Dinwiddie does it every year. EV does not get that in the Battlefield. So yes, a schedule consisting of Massaponax, Salem, Louisa, and Varina plus their district would prep them better for playoff time.
EVERY team has cupcakes on their schedule...including Salem, etc... Generally the Battlefield is a tough schedule with the likes of Courtland/James Monroe/Chancellor. I use to be in the crowd that said you need to have a tough out-of-district schedule, but I no longer subscribe to that theory. If you have good coaching, you'll be fine if you're any good.

EVERY team has cupcakes on their schedule...including Salem, etc... Generally the Battlefield is a tough schedule with the likes of Courtland/James Monroe/Chancellor. I use to be in the crowd that said you need to have a tough out-of-district schedule, but I no longer subscribe to that theory. If you have good coaching, you'll be fine if you're any good.
Well lately none of those 3 have produced at that consistent level of competition. They are below average teams compared to 4B playoff teams.

Well lately none of those 3 have produced at that consistent level of competition. They are below average teams compared to 4B playoff teams.
This is true...but EV has performed better against top-notch playoff teams over the past few years than at any other time even with a perceived "soft" regular season schedule.

This is true...but EV has performed better against top-notch playoff teams over the past few years than at any other time even with a perceived "soft" regular season schedule.
I’d still like to see a Riverbend, Massaponax, North Stafford or any commonwealth team added to the schedule. It’s in very close proximity

I’ll Definately push for that - North Stafford or Stafford might be great games and have good distance -Riverbend we scrimmage and 7v7 every year and EV would take them NP -Ponax was a scrimmage team years ago for EV but not lately - I did hear that Sherando dropped EV as did Handley same year because of the devastation from the games - I know last time EV and Sherando played there were many kids from both teams in ER and more out for weeks after - can’t remember year but it was Dillon Rivers senior year - one of the hardest hitting no back down HS games I’ve seen - great game - year before Handley rolled into EV 5-0 and expected to win by 3 scores and EV beat them by 30 something -

The LT game came down to 1st and goal on 3 couldn’t get in - 3 and 1 couldn’t get 1st down - and too much commitment to run on D -got beat in man deep three times w match ups on double moves and pick screens - props to LT OC for being able to go away from Newton when he couldn’t get it done

Jefferson Forest loss was a team that could score every possession - defensive strategy is what lost that game but I believe they would have won state title that year if they won that one

The woodgrove game would have been a nail biter - woodgrove had size to pound it out on EV but it was a toss up - JF year was the class 4 year to take it all and with only 40 some students over the class 4 line for that cycle - would have lived that game though

"Jefferson Forest loss was a team that could score every possession - defensive strategy is what lost that game but I believe they would have won state title that year if they won that one"

Are we talking about 2014? No doubt EV was good that year, but if they had beat JF, they would then have to face Liberty Beal, (a team they had lost a close one to already) Salem, and LT to win it all. Defense wins championships and EV didn't have it that year.

"Jefferson Forest loss was a team that could score every possession - defensive strategy is what lost that game but I believe they would have won state title that year if they won that one"

Are we talking about 2014? No doubt EV was good that year, but if they had beat JF, they would then have to face Liberty Beal, (a team they had lost a close one to already) Salem, and LT to win it all. Defense wins championships and EV didn't have it that year.
I would say that's right.

I’d still like to see a Riverbend, Massaponax, North Stafford or any commonwealth team added to the schedule. It’s in very close proximity
My guess is that Culp/Orange will always be there. Louisa is the obvious addition for both schools.

Time to reform the old battlefield district,
Courtland
Spotsylvania
JM
Caroline
KG
Culpepper
Orange
Louisa
Chancellor
Added, EV in recent years, now thats a district !! Battle tested and playoff ready after those 10 games.

I like it - but to finish where we started - the new 4B region is brutal you won’t come out battle tested you’ll come out hurt beat up and ready to lose to the regions that don’t have to play such a difficult schedule to win the region - should you be lucky enough to be at all healthy your right shouldn’t lose to anyone after that Guantlet—-that’s my story and I’m sticking to it -

as a side note - went to EV Orange game last year and could not believe the size and athleticism of Orange players - to watch warm ups on size and speed you would think they were going to fin didn’t see any scheme or discipline - they had the cats to beat EV for sure but EV was in control from kickoff to final whistle- any insights on what’s going on - I know the coach was a Orange favorite from what I heard at the snack bar and people felt he was the guy to restore the program?

Yeah, the coach is a good guy. I moved out to Orange a few years ago and my son us a sophomore this year. Orange always has big kids, its a rural county farm school. They had a good team last year, with one hell of a RB, top 2 or 3 in the state. What we have seen over the past 4-5 years with Louisa and EV, is they have just had an abundance of talent at all positions coming into thier system. So with Orange, and most schools, you have to design your system around your talent. This could change every other year for some? Take Courtland, last year tgey were just injury riddled out the gate and only got worse. But they are on the upswing and reloading the talent, the moving of school zones and influx of new families, homes and new subdivisions poping up is rolling our enrollment numbers higher. Wouldn't dought we get bumped to division 5 in 3-4 years?? Back to Orange, they hit a little bump in the road few years back, they got moved up to Division 5 And competed, but it took a toll playing much larger schools and traveling alot farther. This years team is big agian and on par with last years squad.

Time to reform the old battlefield district,
Courtland
Spotsylvania
JM
Caroline
KG
Culpepper
Orange
Louisa
Chancellor
Added, EV in recent years, now thats a district !! Battle tested and playoff ready after those 10 games.
Varina was a member of the Battlefield for a couple years back-in-the-day

If EV and Louisa were in the same district or had a yearly game in the regular season that would be a good thing for everyone involved and everyone in 4B. When you have two powerhouses that are a significant cut above the rest of their respective district why not? I think it is fair to say it has already become a bit of a rivalry with a certain level of respect on both sides. Also, it puts an end to yearly you haven’t played anybody routine. EV and Louisa have some of the most loyal fans in class 4 maybe outside of Salem and Dinwiddie. Hell, Louisa had more fans than we did at our own damn stadium. I imagine the gate would be big and that would be a financial win for both schools. 4B has become Mt Everest, one thing is for sure, to make it out you will have had to beat a slew of quality teams

ADVERTISEMENT