ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Rumors????

GatorBait1988

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 10, 2015
Any rumors for the 2020 season??

GW Coach get fired yet?

Favorites for each region?

*Rumors have probably already been discusses....but always fun to hear new ones*

Is that anything like "I don't repeat gossip so you better listen closely the first time?"

The only thing I can add to your question is to say that we are in the second year of a two-year cycle, so everyone should have their same schedules and the playoff structure should be the same. I am sure there will be ample discussion when the time comes about whether Riverheads can "fivepeat" or if someone can unseat them.

Gw coach WILL be there for at least one more year. There is no reason to get rid of him. He’s put up respectable numbers and the AD likes him. I don’t expect much from them this season tho. I think riverheads, galax, ph, Essex, Sussex etc will all be back in the mix again come November

Gw coach WILL be there for at least one more year. There is no reason to get rid of him. He’s put up respectable numbers and the AD likes him. I don’t expect much from them this season tho. I think riverheads, galax, ph, Essex, Sussex etc will all be back in the mix again come November

Did the so-called "meeting" happen with the GW parents and whoever they were supposed to meet with to get the coach out??

I still haven’t heard about any meeting. I think it was just a WISH/RUMOR...
If the program declines I wouldn’t blame coaching as much as I would parenting. Just saying.

I wouldnt say its 100% GW coach is back. I've heard his name whispered around with an opening or 2.

I'm also wondering when Ridgeview, Bland, and Carroll will announce new coaches?

GW Coach will be back. As far as rumors of his name being around other openings makes no sense. None of the programs with openings have as much talent as GW on a yearly basis. Be foolish of him to do that IMO.

Why is Bland looking for a Coach? They didn't have a team last season.

No information on whether the GW coach is looking over the fence at other opportunities but why would he stay? If the community consensus really is that he is horrible and he is aware of that, then he would be a fool to be pushed out on their timeline. If another SWVA team that supports their coaches is seriously looking for someone to turn their program around then he would almost have to consider it IMO. Regardless of the no adjustments angle that some GW fans have posted, the guy has won a majority of games he has coached so he at least knows a little something. And without pissing too many people off, Bland and Carroll would not be a destination job for someone with his pedigree, because he has won like it or not.

And to the OP question on favorites in each region, I would have the following as the top 2-3 in each.
Region A-I think K&Q will build on the great season they had and be a contender but W&L and Essex will be the top tier with the region running through Essex. Its theirs to win or lose and by a pretty decent margin. At some point people will quit posting that the end of the Trojans run is over. Look for a very diverse offense and a smothering defense out of Tappahannock this year.

Region B-Riverheads will reload and attempt another magical run with Sussex nipping at the heals. This could be the year the Gladiators have to travel East for the regional title game as I believe Sussex will be improved over their very solid team from last year. Franklin is still a year away from making the noise I know their fans want but the future is bright, because those young men hit like a sledgehammer. Closer regional title game but still a stranglehold on the region by Riverheads IMO.

Region C-Galax was a couple of plays away from their second state title victory over Riverheads so expect them to be every bit as good this year. Interestingly enough I see Auburn replacing Narrows as the second favorite in the region with a good mix returning while Narz loses the core on both sides of the ball. Is it a lock? Not at all and with each playing a primarily 1A schedule its possible to have enough athletes to repeat the previous years performance. Going off of the posters on here I will exclude GW from being a contender but I would like to think if Harner is still there that the Maroons will be a player in deciding who comes from this region.

Region D-Patrick Henry GS will be further along in their commitment to the double wing/wing T so expect them to be in the mix for sure. I was impressed with Chilhowie staying relevant after a large graduating class after their back to back title runs. A new player could continue to be JI Burton. Good season last year coming in kind of under the radar so look for them to be in the discussion next season. The key for them will be a good start and not to drop games they should win and earn hosting honors through out the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: TIGER...NATION
No information on whether the GW coach is looking over the fence at other opportunities but why would he stay? If the community consensus really is that he is horrible and he is aware of that, then he would be a fool to be pushed out on their timeline. If another SWVA team that supports their coaches is seriously looking for someone to turn their program around then he would almost have to consider it IMO. Regardless of the no adjustments angle that some GW fans have posted, the guy has won a majority of games he has coached so he at least knows a little something. And without pissing too many people off, Bland and Carroll would not be a destination job for someone with his pedigree, because he has won like it or not.

And to the OP question on favorites in each region, I would have the following as the top 2-3 in each.
Region A-I think K&Q will build on the great season they had and be a contender but W&L and Essex will be the top tier with the region running through Essex. Its theirs to win or lose and by a pretty decent margin. At some point people will quit posting that the end of the Trojans run is over. Look for a very diverse offense and a smothering defense out of Tappahannock this year.

Region B-Riverheads will reload and attempt another magical run with Sussex nipping at the heals. This could be the year the Gladiators have to travel East for the regional title game as I believe Sussex will be improved over their very solid team from last year. Franklin is still a year away from making the noise I know their fans want but the future is bright, because those young men hit like a sledgehammer. Closer regional title game but still a stranglehold on the region by Riverheads IMO.

Region C-Galax was a couple of plays away from their second state title victory over Riverheads so expect them to be every bit as good this year. Interestingly enough I see Auburn replacing Narrows as the second favorite in the region with a good mix returning while Narz loses the core on both sides of the ball. Is it a lock? Not at all and with each playing a primarily 1A schedule its possible to have enough athletes to repeat the previous years performance. Going off of the posters on here I will exclude GW from being a contender but I would like to think if Harner is still there that the Maroons will be a player in deciding who comes from this region.

Region D-Patrick Henry GS will be further along in their commitment to the double wing/wing T so expect them to be in the mix for sure. I was impressed with Chilhowie staying relevant after a large graduating class after their back to back title runs. A new player could continue to be JI Burton. Good season last year coming in kind of under the radar so look for them to be in the discussion next season. The key for them will be a good start and not to drop games they should win and earn hosting honors through out the playoffs.

About GW, they have a talented rising sophmore class from what Im hearing. they will have a couple big kids joining the line and talented skilled kids looking to fill in for the departed seniors. heard they lost a set of twins mcmillon brothers i believe but have another set of twins moving up. should be interesting.

Why would any coach take the Bland job? Do you get coaches pay even if you don't field a team?

The Bland Co situation is dragging on; I know 2 people who applied and interviewed like a month or more ago and yet there has been no decision made. I feel like everyday that passes the chances to fill a team goes down. They need to do something now and start rebuilding the excitement....this is classic example of admin who have no clue or who just don't care.

What will Bland do if they hire someone and then can't field a team? Does that person still have a teaching job? Seems to me that anyone with any coaching ability would stay away from this situation.

Riverheads will be lucky to make the playoffs ! They lost a lot to grads and looks like they are going to the triple option . Talked to one of the players at the BB game and thats the word. Could be a big mistake ? Also the word is Casto is working for Pepsi . I don't think there is any more room in the Trophy Case . Odds of a 5 peat are like hitting the lottery . Maybe Pepsi Cola wants to win something ? Rumors, rumors, and more rumors ?

Riverheads will be lucky to make the playoffs ! They lost a lot to grads and looks like they are going to the triple option . Talked to one of the players at the BB game and thats the word. Could be a big mistake ? Also the word is Casto is working for Pepsi . I don't think there is any more room in the Trophy Case . Odds of a 5 peat are like hitting the lottery . Maybe Pepsi Cola wants to win something ? Rumors, rumors, and more rumors ?

I heard they may not even have 20 players show up for opening practice. Might be best to go ahead and forfeit the upcoming season. It's a shame to see how far that program has fallen....................................

I heard they may not even have 20 players show up for opening practice. Might be best to go ahead and forfeit the upcoming season. It's a shame to see how far that program has fallen....................................
Did you hear Lamonjalo Johnson would be the head coach or is that a rumor ?

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
Carroll County Hires Monty Chipman . He comes from Wilkes.Co,Nc
Also look for Greg Mance to Myrtle Beach area. 99% chance it happens
Hearing chatter about another big name,but don't want to say until I get more credible info.

Reactions: sixcat
What’s up with consolidating some schools in SWVA? Something popped across Twitter a few days ago but I couldn’t find it when I went back to loon for it. Anyone have some insight?

What’s up with consolidating some schools in SWVA? Something popped across Twitter a few days ago but I couldn’t find it when I went back to loon for it. Anyone have some insight?
I saw something about they were looking into consolidating the 4 Buchanan County schools. Grundy, Council, Hurley and Twin Valley. Not sure if it would pass or not, but even if it does, it would still be a few years before it took effect

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Carroll County Hires Monty Chipman . He comes from Wilkes.Co,Nc
Also look for Greg Mance to Myrtle Beach area. 99% chance it happens
Hearing chatter about another big name,but don't want to say until I get more credible info.

Mance to Loris, SC is already a done deal.

https://www.myhorrynews.com/sports/...cle_e80a2ed0-4de8-11ea-9c97-db364aac9b10.html

I have also been hearing another big name may be returning "home" but it's not my tale to tell! I will leave it alone for now.

Riverheads will repeat the next 3 years.. Their JV team was bigger than their varsity team this year ( No Joke). Also, They have a RB in smiley and they have another one coming up from JV even better. Im not a RHS Fan... just telling you whats going to happen.

Riverheads will repeat the next 3 years.. Their JV team was bigger than their varsity team this year ( No Joke). Also, They have a RB in smiley and they have another one coming up from JV even better. Im not a RHS Fan... just telling you whats going to happen.

they are a AA school playing single A so they should win. Just saying

Reactions: offmylawn
Evidence? Lets see the evidence. If your going to make accusations at least have some facts to back it up. I will be waiting.

I think in a lot of cases they have Triple A level coaching going up against Single A level coaching.

When they count students, the school has a trap door to the basement and guess what ? 474.5 over and over. The door shut on that half a guy. Just Rumorville !!!!!

Reactions: Dobb83
Their oct adm numbers were 447, it also looks by the numbers that buffalo gap and Brunswick will also join 1a in the very near future.

When they count students, the school has a trap door to the basement and guess what ? 474.5 over and over. The door shut on that half a guy. Just Rumorville !!!!!

funny how its always or close to same number for years

Their oct adm numbers were 447, it also looks by the numbers that buffalo gap and Brunswick will also join 1a in the very near future.
I would like to see the VHSL make some 1A schools that are closer than 2 and 3 hours away play the Red Team . I guess when it comes to Football they have lost their Balls!

funny how its always or close to same number for years
Its not funny its the size of the school. I graduated there in 83, go by the school every single day on my way to work and have been doing that the last 14 years. The school was built to accommodate a certain amount of students, I havent seen any construction going on there in the past 14 years that I have been driving by daily, with the exception of the gym the school is still the same size as when I graduated in 83. So the enrollment in 83 is roughly the same as it is today. 450 give or take a few. For all you people that think theyre cheating the system I suggest you go up there yourselves and do your own count. The office has to take attendance everyday, thats what funding is based on attendance. So Im sure the school is cheating itself out of money just to win football games. Get real!! The enrollment excuse is really getting old.

Different classification but isn’t Wise Central running smashmouth football with an undersized group? Look for them to rule Region D next year with Union losing Polier, Ridgeview and Richlands having new coaches, and Graham losing several skill players. This is not a rumor and as Smokey said, write it down, take a picture, idaf....IMO Spread/Option teams are more cyclical than old school grind it out teams. Those “old” offenses do have down years but generally don’t fall off a cliff when a talented group graduates.

It also seems like there is a team from SWVA in 1A that is going back smashmouth but I can’t remember which one it is. Either JI Burton or Patrick Henry GS and they are only in their infancy in committing to it so it will get even better than the results of this year.

Reactions: bulldog1150
I just wish schools would stop mimicking the offenses they see on TV on Saturdays and Sundays and start mimicking the Casto style of play. Win or lose.
I heard Casto is going to the spread . He may want games to be more competitive !

Different classification but isn’t Wise Central running smashmouth football with an undersized group? Look for them to rule Region D next year with Union losing Polier, Ridgeview and Richlands having new coaches, and Graham losing several skill players. This is not a rumor and as Smokey said, write it down, take a picture, idaf....IMO Spread/Option teams are more cyclical than old school grind it out teams. Those “old” offenses do have down years but generally don’t fall off a cliff when a talented group graduates.

It also seems like there is a team from SWVA in 1A that is going back smashmouth but I can’t remember which one it is. Either JI Burton or Patrick Henry GS and they are only in their infancy in committing to it so it will get even better than the results of this year.

I mean, running smash mouth netted poor Rappahannock County some wins in the 2-3 years they actually implemented it. I'd hate to have seen whatever the mess was they were running when they played you guys last season. Knowing how the teams are in this general area I'm sure it was 5 wide with quadruple reverse quickie passes with an olinemen or something.. "worked on TV and the "kids like it" so hey, lets run it!!!"

I heard Casto is going to the spread . He may want games to be more competitive !
he has a young qb with a decent arm, he can spread out all 7 rbs that he will have on team and use them a wide outs, u never know about casto, he might need to use the spread so he can win 5 games and have a chance at making playoffs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT