ADVERTISEMENT

News 2020 Season To Start March

High contact sports will still not be allowed if we are still in phase 3, unless the language of what phase 3 is changed.

Still no idea regarding post-season play. smh.

Somewhere I read there was some thought of just having regional playoffs but no state champion this year. I'm sure more details will come out as this plays out. They have time now to plan for any sort of postseason if we can have one.

We’re about to go back down to phase 2, so all of this probably doesn’t matter. We may not be back up to stage 3.

I don't want to get into that because that's a topic for a different site. Hope springs eternal so let's all cling to the hope of Spring football. Got to have something to look forward to in these bleak times.

Saw that 37 of the 50 states are starting high school ball up in the fall.
Honestly im way up there on a fence over this issue. So much info out there by so called experts contradicting each other. I want football but that is a want not a need. Right now i have to use my judgment wether good or bad and say postpone football to the spring.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
Honestly im way up there on a fence over this issue. So much info out there by so called experts contradicting each other. I want football but that is a want not a need. Right now i have to use my judgment wether good or bad and say postpone football to the spring.
I can swallow the spring stuff as long as they let the boys play!

Am I right in hearing even if there is a season there might be no state championship game?

I can swallow the spring stuff as long as they let the boys play!

Am I right in hearing even if there is a season there might be no state championship game?

The Kingsport Times article says a seventh game will be a "bowl" game featuring two region teams of comparable seeds. So 1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4, 5 vs. 6 and so on. If that's true then.... meh.

There are only 9 fridays from March 1st through May 1st. I don't see how they could have playoffs of any substance. 6 games? Quarterfinals, Semis and Finals? Top 2 teams in each region play in Quarterfinals? Every game would be a must win. Teams with weak schedules would be out of luck.

Last edited:
My bad. I put May 31st. Meant to put May 1st. Season is from Feb 15th to May 1st, first contest allowed March 1st. So 9 Fridays.

Actually our local sports section helps this morning. So to paraphrase........

Only the top four teams from each region (I am speaking football here) would advance to post-season play.
Regional quarterfinals will be eliminated.
Regional semi-finals will be the weekend of April 9-10.
Regional champions must be crowned by April 17.
State semi-finals will be April 24.
State championship games will be May 1.

Nice to see that finally spelled out for us. Of course I guess all of this is still subject to things progressing satisfactorily in terms of getting COVID 19 under control.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT