ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Playoff Picture?

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Class 5 is up for grabs in 2023 with the champion Springers of Highland Springs moving up to Class 6. With the latest alignment to regions and classifications things will be interesting to watch in 2023.

Region 5A sees all eight teams return who made the playoffs this past season with Bayside, Frank Cox, Green Run, Hickory, Indian River, Kempsville, Salem & Tallwood.
  • Interesting here is the fact that Deep Creek & Floyd Kellam join this crowded playoff field although neither made it past the first round this past season.
    • Deep Creek makes the jump up from 4A and Kellam falls from 6A.

Region 5B will see all 6 playoff teams return with Kecoughtan, Maury, Menchville, Nansemond River, Norview & Woodside staying put.
  • The wrinkle here is the addition of King's Fork & Warwick.
    • Warwick moves up from 4A where they won the region title and made the state semifinals.
    • King's Fork made the state semifinals in 2021 and reached the region championship this past season.

Region 5C is a wild one... with 6 teams back from the playoffs last season in Douglas Freeman, Hermitage, LC Bird, Midlothian, Mills Godwin & Prince George.
  • Highland Springs & Glen Allen both move up to 6A leaving two spots.
  • Muddying the waters is the addition of Albemarle, Franklin Co., James River, Louisa, Matoaca, Patrick Henry (Roanoke) & William Fleming.
    • Albemarle, Patrick Henry & William Fleming make the move from 5D.
      • Albemarle & William Fleming made it no further than the first round and Patrick Henry only made it to the region semifinals.
    • Franklin & James River drop from 6A.
      • Both of these teams made it no further than the first round of the playoffs.
    • Louisa moves up from 4D as does Matoaca from 4B.
      • Louisa made the region semifinals this past season.
      • Matoaca made it no further than the first round.
  • 8 playoff spots for a region that is home to 13 teams that made the playoffs this past season.

Region 5D is interesting given only 3 teams return who made the playoffs this past season in a region that only has 9 teams now.
  • Briar Woods, Riverbend & Stone Bridge are the only playoff teams to return to 5D.
  • There are no addition of playoff teams from any region or class to 5D leaving it wide open for Stone Bridge to rule yet again.

Is it Maury & Stone Bridge for a state title with the exit of Highland Springs or can someone else shakeup the party?

5C will be very interesting. HS has dominated so long. I like Freeman and Louisa early. Both teams could use a harder out of district schedule, especially Freeman. The Mavs could be special in 2023.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
5C will be very interesting. HS has dominated so long. I like Freeman and Louisa early. Both teams could use a harder out of district schedule, especially Freeman. The Mavs could be special in 2023.
I like LC Bird, I believe they have something special brewing over there. They made it to the Regional Championship and kept it pretty close with HSHS for 2 quarters. Plus Bird has both of their 1000 yard backs returning next year. Coach Troy was on that staff with Bedwell and he has those young guys believing again.

Louisa I heard is losing their 2 stud freshmen & they graduate a lot including a terrific QB I believe it’ll be an uphill battle for them. My early 5C Championship game favorite is Freeman @ Bird. But I think Matoaca or Midlo could have something to say about that

Louisa I heard is losing their 2 stud freshmen & they graduate a lot including a terrific QB I believe it’ll be an uphill battle for them. My early 5C Championship game favorite is Freeman @ Bird. But I think Matoaca or Midlo could have something to say about that
Y’all are right about Bird @General172011 @Thomasddev. Didn’t realize they were returning all that plus the young man on the D-Line. Freeman will be the most complete team. Size, speed, and coaching. Those guys just play a weenie hut junior schedule. They played the Springers better than anyone in the 804 this past year. I’d also put Godwin over Matoaca and Midlo. PJ is doing a great job. They have size and a lot of depth, just need a few more athletes to be contenders in the region.

Y’all are right about Bird @General172011 @Thomasddev. Didn’t realize they were returning all that plus the young man on the D-Line. Freeman will be the most complete team. Size, speed, and coaching. Those guys just play a weenie hut junior schedule. They played the Springers better than anyone in the 804 this past year. I’d also put Godwin over Matoaca and Midlo. PJ is doing a great job. They have size and a lot of depth, just need a few more athletes to be contenders in the region.
Way Too Early Top 8 Region 5C
  1. LC Bird
  2. Douglas Freeman
  3. Midlothian
  4. Matoaca
  5. Hermitage
  6. Louisa
  7. Mills Godwin
  8. James River

Way Too Early Top 8 Region 5C
  1. LC Bird
  2. Douglas Freeman
  3. Midlothian
  4. Matoaca
  5. Hermitage
  6. Louisa
  7. Mills Godwin
  8. James River
I’d switch Godwin and Herm. Herm will lose so much this June and really underachieved last year with the very good talent they did have. 5-5 is probably their peak for the next few years. They’ll lose Coney (VT), Artis (All Region DE; 4-5 D2 offers plus VMI), Corey Morton (3x 1st Team All Region LB/Safety), Nate James (3x All Region Guard), Bubba Burton (All Region 2x 1st team), and Breon Gunnell who has a few D1 and D2 offers. Those are some damn good players and they were 6-5 this year. You are more than likely looking at a 3-7, 4-6 team at best this season. They’ll be good enough to beat Henrico, Tucker and Deep Run for sure.

Where are the Louisa freshman rumored to be headed?

Louisa County should have moved to the Commonwealth District and placed in Region 5D if they had to move up a classification. Staying in the Jefferson District will do Louisa County no good. Albemarle should have also been placed in 5D to help somewhat balance out the regions a little bit more.

Moving to the Commonwealth would also help Louisa County lock in a "AAA" home. With Stafford County opening up a sixth high school in the next four years, the Commonwealth will go to eight teams and Louisa County desperately needs to find a "AAA" home or continue their postseason exits due to the soft Jefferson District schedule.

Don’t get the rationale but it’s not my kid. Getting offers at Louisa, playing Class 5 ball, and playing for one of the best supported programs in VA.
For IMG, I think it's the ability to live in and have 24/7 access to world class facilities. Also, from my understanding, the students at IMG have a lightened class load (they don't have to take the fluff classes that are often times required at public schools) to allow more time to train. Can a kid be developed to his full potential at a public school in rural Va? Absolutely but, the likely hood is much lower than that of a kid that attends IMG.

I would most likely send my kid if he had the opportunity and he wanted to.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
It's crazy because Louisa is heavily recruited so what are they really looking for in situations like this?
For IMG, I think it's the ability to live in and have 24/7 access to world class facilities. Also, from my understanding, the students at IMG have a lightened class load (they don't have to take the fluff classes that are often times required at public schools) to allow more time to train. Can a kid be developed to his full potential at a public school in rural Va? Absolutely but, the likely hood is much lower than that of a kid that attends IMG.

Check out this video and tell me what 14-18 year old wouldn't be interested in attending IMG if they had the chance... IMG Campus Tour Video

Last edited:
A total shocker, Midlos’ Heach Coach stepped down today ….. I’d say you can book it now, Freeman vs Bird for 5C Title.

Check out this video and tell me what 14-18 year old wouldn't be interested in attending IMG if they had the chance... IMG Campus Tour Video
When I was tracking former Virginia high schoolers in the NFL our kids were above the national average. The quality of NFL players is second to none and Allen Iverson. I think IMG is selling tickets to a carnival. Someone always wants a bigger show. The past says Virginia's high school coaches are second to none.

Reactions: VolNation85
When I was tracking former Virginia high schoolers in the NFL our kids were above the national average. The quality of NFL players is second to none and Allen Iverson. I think IMG is selling tickets to a carnival. Someone always wants a bigger show. The past says Virginia's high school coaches are second to none.
No doubt! I agree! I wasn't referring to coaching as a reason to go to IMG. But there isn't a school in the country that can compete with IMG in terms on facilities and resources. Combine those things with the lightened work load for classes and you have a very easy "sell" to a 14-18 year old kid.

No doubt! I agree! I wasn't referring to coaching as a reason to go to IMG. But there isn't a school in the country that can compete with IMG in terms on facilities and resources. Combine those things with the lightened work load for classes and you have a very easy "sell" to a 14-18 year old kid.
I agree with you on the sports facilities but I also believe IMG should be shut down immediately. It is nothing more than sports professionals making weak excuses to hang out with children. I couldn't get a high school administrator to go public with their complaint that the school books were being put on the way back burner for the sake of more touchdowns and tackles. 1.6% That is the percentage of college football players that might play pro. It had been steady for a while. There is nothing you can do about that number. 0.001856% of high school football players might make it to the pros. The kids do not need lighter class loads. They need more focus on their education with the goal of using football to graduate college. If you told me I can have a lighter class load and go hang out in the gym, I already beat you there. How long has IMG been in the tennis game and what are the names of those American grand slam champions from IMG?

I kind of root for Godwin too. More of a “working man's” type school than some of the other schools in that area.

I went to a Midlothian game this year and was really impressed with how much fan support they had.

I kind of root for Godwin too. More of a “working man's” type school than some of the other schools in that area.

I went to a Midlothian game this year and was really impressed with how much fan support they had.
You’re exactly right DP. Godwin is in its own little world in the West End. It has some of the same attributes of Freeman and Deep Run (the West End is a little nuts in general) but definitely has a Dinwiddie/Franklin County feel to me. I never thought of it in your terms but I think it’s spot on. I think the Godwin job is hands down the best opening in the Richmond area. Midlo had very good student/fan support. IMO, the facilities in Chesterfield are nicer than Henrico’s (except for MBK 🥴).

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
You’re exactly right DP. Godwin is in its own little world in the West End. It has some of the same attributes of Freeman and Deep Run (the West End is a little nuts in general) but definitely has a Dinwiddie/Franklin County feel to me. I never thought of it in your terms but I think it’s spot on. I think the Godwin job is hands down the best opening in the Richmond area. Midlo had very good student/fan support. IMO, the facilities in Chesterfield are nicer than Henrico’s (except for MBK 🥴).
My first encounter with the Godwin folks was years ago. Maybe 6-8 years back. They came up to Pickett to scrimmage us during our pre-season summer camp. Incidentally, it was an intense scrimmage, and they held their own.

Because there are no facilities at the field at Pickett, it created an interesting time afterwards. We fed the teams hot dogs and it was a lot like a community festival gathering. Everybody got to interact and joke and carry on, and it was just a good time.

I got to know the head coach a little, and we exchanged a few emails for a time, but eventually I lost track of him. I guess it was the coach before the one that just stepped down?

The bottom line, like you said above, they were a lot closer to being a bunch from a rural area than what I had come to expect from Chesterfield Schools.

It’s funny how one encounter can shape your opinion of a school. But, I check the scores and still root for them to this day.

Yep, @DinwiddieProud I remember that day and it was way too hot. There fb/lb was cramping really bad and I helped him stretch out. We sat and talked for a long time. All the Godwin players were down to earth likeable young men.

Its crazy how many coaches and AD's are replaced yearly. The burnout rate is unreal. I am glad we have a coach who still likes his job after 18 years. God bless him and his family for their sacrifice.

Midlothian has a sneaky good atmosphere for football. Will be interesting to see if it maintains with Coach Hutchings departure or not. I hope so... I think it can if they get the right person in to build off of what Hutchings has done.

Midlothian has a sneaky good atmosphere for football. Will be interesting to see if it maintains with Coach Hutchings departure or not. I hope so... I think it can if they get the right person in to build off of what Hutchings has done.
The student section rocked. They had some leadership and were into the game the entire night. The middle school kids were a pain in the ass. But I’m sure that is true everywhere.

We only half jokingly said that there was a steady steam of soccer moms in BMW’s dropping off there kids at the game.

• Haha
The student section rocked. They had some leadership and were into the game the entire night. The middle school kids were a pain in the ass. But I’m sure that is true everywhere.

We only half jokingly said that there was a steady steam of soccer moms in BMW’s dropping off there kids at the game.
Student section was amazing. I noticed that my first trip out to Midlothian in 2021.

You've been to several schools in the region... specific to the old Central Region... rank your top five atmospheres for football. Curious how they compare to mine.

@CRF4Dan I would like to add my ten cents. I will use the past five years though. My top five includes the entire experience fans, students, bands, concessions, and attractions. I will not include Dinwiddie, but will deal with RVA schools I seen games at.

1. Atlee (several years ago)
2. Highland Springs
3. Powhatan
4. Hanover (several years ago)
5. Midlothian

Honorable Mention: Varina, Thomas Dale

In no particular order:
Caroline
Amelia
Monacan
Midlothian
Hopewell

Though outside of the Richmond Region, Jamestown. For a school that has a horrible team year after year, the students still come out, and make there presence known.

I’ll give Colonial Heights a nod, too.

@CRF4Dan I would like to add my ten cents. I will use the past five years though. My top five includes the entire experience fans, students, bands, concessions, and attractions. I will not include Dinwiddie, but will deal with RVA schools I seen games at.

2. Highland Springs
3. Powhatan
5. Midlothian

Not bad listing although somewhat dated...

I'd go...
  1. Highland Springs
  2. Dinwiddie
  3. Midlothian
  4. Powhatan
  5. Hanover (based on 2021 season)
HM: Glen Allen

My sole experience at Atlee was in 2016 or 17. Their student section was lit and the place was loud. Highland Springs has good crowds and the fans are knowleable, but they get negative points for long concession stands and the constant PA interruptions. I know it was two years ago, but the hall monitor lady got in my last nerve. I didn't pay eight bucks to hear her constantly scold people. 😂. @DinwiddieProud I have never been impressed with Monacan's fan support. Their stadium, team, and concession are good though. Same with LC Bird and Matoaca. God bless them, but the Colonial Heights fans are loyal. Just a boring place to watch a game. The worst by far is Meadowbrook. Dang shame too. Those kids work hard for the little support they get.

My sole experience at Atlee was in 2016 or 17. Their student section was lit and the place was loud. Highland Springs has good crowds and the fans are knowleable, but they get negative points for long concession stands and the constant PA interruptions. I know it was two years ago, but the hall monitor lady got in my last nerve. I didn't pay eight bucks to hear her constantly scold people. 😂. @DinwiddieProud I have never been impressed with Monacan's fan support. Their stadium, team, and concession are good though. Same with LC Bird and Matoaca. God bless them, but the Colonial Heights fans are loyal. Just a boring place to watch a game. The worst by far is Meadowbrook. Dang shame too. Those kids work hard for the little support they get.
I have never been to Colonial Heights but I'm thinking I might head that way next season. What Keeler is doing down there is great.

2. Highland Springs
3. Powhatan
5. Midlothian

Sheeesh Navy, I’ve never been to a Varina game with an atmosphere. They’re normally as lackadaisical as their team is. I’d have to say Dinwiddie and Louisa are the best atmospheres in the 45 minute radius of Richmond with Louisa being #1. I believe they have the best game atmosphere in the state of Virginia.

I’m sure if I had ever attended a game at the Jungle, I would have them near the top, but it has just never worked out that I could catch a game there…, yet!

Bo, what’s it like down in NC where you live?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT