ADVERTISEMENT

I wasn't saying Salem was trying to avoid the game(why should they it will be 60+ win)...but the VHSL making teams play when there is no reason too play on a wet soggy field like Giles field...no need taking a chance on getting someone hurt...I was just asking cause if y'all don't end up playing there is no way they could MAKE everyone else play...thanks for the info

Since there seems to be a lot of speculation regarding this situation, I will summarize an email that I received from an unimpeachable source. So, I got this firsthand, from someone who knows.

Salem offered to play Thursday at Carroll County; Carroll refused. No reason given. Carroll said they wanted to play Friday, but it would have to be at Salem. Once Salem agreed to that, Salem city officials said they would rather that not happen as the Salem Civic Center is a site for folks who are flooded out of their homes. Also, the city didn't want to risk staffing a Friday game with police officers and EMT's when they might be needed elsewhere. So, Friday (and Saturday) in Salem were out.

Salem coach Magenbauer offered to play the game Monday, even though Salem has a game Thursday, but again Carroll refused. Magenbauer is intent on getting the game played. There's still a chance that could happen, despite what was reported in the article in Friday's Roanoke Times.

So, that's what I know. Everyone can draw their own conclusions. Salem offered Carroll County at least a couple of viable options, which were rejected. If this game ends up going unplayed, I don't understand how that wouldn't be a forfeit for Carroll County.
Thanks For the info.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT