ADVERTISEMENT

2A Basketball is Going to Be a Fun Finish

Fairlawncat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 24, 2018
The 2A basketball season has been unique with many teams sitting it out, and many powerhouse teams like Dan River and Martinsville in our Region, and of course Thomas Jefferson, Brunswick, and Greensville County. I hope the Cats can get another state title. I've got to watch Union and Graham from the west online and both are very, very good. I think both can beat us, but I think if we bring our A game, we can beat whichever one is to come out of that region.

East Rockingham is a huge problem and matchup nightmare for any team. I think they are the favorites to win the state title, not us. We can beat East Rockingham, but I think East Rock's A game is the best I've seen this year. What East Rock did to back then at the time they played, the number one 3A team in the state (Charlottesville) in the 16 point win was a demonstration of just how good they are. With Div 1 and hopefully future Hokie 6'8 star Nickel, they are incredible, but adding 6'7 Evick along with their outstanding point guard Cooper Keyes makes them a favorite over all teams. Going to be a fun finish. Hopefully all teams stay healthy and safe. Radford, Graham, and Union are all solid and Radford and Graham are undefeated, but the team to beat in my opinion is the Nickel led East Rock team.

Last edited:
Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Radford seems dependent on outside shooting and as we all know that can be spotty. Graham is very, very athletic. But size never takes a night off and I agree that ER has something that is going to present matchup problems for everybody else.

Watched East Rock against Clarke and again, very impressed. I think East Rockingham would make a game of it with TJ if they were playing this year. I guess it's the Covid year that has things changed, but East Rockingham is absolutely obliterating opponents and not much has been talked about it.

It's still early and much hoops to be played, but after watching East Rock, Union, Graham, and Radford, I think they are 8-10 points better than us. I also think Union is almost, within 4 points as good as us and that we are 6-7 points better than Graham.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's East Rock vs Union or possibly Graham in the state finals. I favor Radford over Region D, but if we win, that game is within 10 points no matter if it's Union or Graham. I got the Cats very slightly head of Union by like 4 points, but I will say this, if East Rockingham loses a basketball game and doesn't win the title, I will be very surprised. I'm not sandbagging as a Radford fan to make us the perpetual underdog either. I'm saying this because East Rockingham is actually that good and it's going to be a tall task, literally and figuratively for any team

Watched East Rock against Clarke and again, very impressed. I think East Rockingham would make a game of it with TJ if they were playing this year. I guess it's the Covid year that has things changed, but East Rockingham is absolutely obliterating opponents and not much has been talked about it.

It's still early and much hoops to be played, but after watching East Rock, Union, Graham, and Radford, I think they are 8-10 points better than us. I also think Union is almost, within 4 points as good as us and that we are 6-7 points better than Graham.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's East Rock vs Union or possibly Graham in the state finals. I favor Radford over Region D, but if we win, that game is within 10 points no matter if it's Union or Graham. I got the Cats very slightly head of Union by like 4 points, but I will say this, if East Rockingham loses a basketball game and doesn't win the title, I will be very surprised. I'm not sandbagging as a Radford fan to make us the perpetual underdog either. I'm saying this because East Rockingham is actually that good and it's going to be a tall task, literally and figuratively for any team
I love your insight but just a small correction..I think you have Thomas Jefferson and John Marshall confused. Both Richmond 2A schools who are sitting out .. But John Marshall are the defending champs and was going to be loaded this year again.. Not TJ. Looking forward to watching the Bobcats ball out. I used to live in Radford so I’m always rooting for Cormany and company when the hometown Dan River Wildcats aren’t playing.

I love your insight but just a small correction..I think you have Thomas Jefferson and John Marshall confused. Both Richmond 2A schools who are sitting out .. But John Marshall are the defending champs and was going to be loaded this year again.. Not TJ. Looking forward to watching the Bobcats ball out. I used to live in Radford so I’m always rooting for Cormany and company when the hometown Dan River Wildcats aren’t playing.
I’ve been watching/ scouting games from home in East Tn. From what I’ve seen East Rock looks good. Last couple games been with teams of lesser talent. Now with JM out of the picture what does that say for this year’s championship. ER should be the clear cut favorite but that’s why we play the game. Who knows maybe someone like GC will make it from out west.

Radford seems dependent on outside shooting and as we all know that can be spotty. Graham is very, very athletic. But size never takes a night off and I agree that ER has something that is going to present matchup problems for everybody else.
East Rock is very good. But much like ER's height doesn't take a night off, neither does Radford's defense. They are smothering. That will be a very good game. I don't have a dog in the fight, but I hope that game happens.

Reactions: bulldog1150
Correct on the TJ and JM mix up as one poster mentioned. Sorry about that. Meant to write JM, not TJ. Having seen a many of Radford teams take home titles over the years, this team is also very, very good, but we do not have the inside presence we've had in the past. The defense is solid and the ball movement is solid, but East Rockingham with one 6-8 guy who is major Div 1 (ACC offers), and the easy AA POY and another at 6-7 who is playing at the college level somewhere, and a guard in Keyes who will also end up at the college level. I believe Keyes is a junior. They don't just have 2 tall guys, they have 2 tall guys that have major talent and can flat out play. That matchup will give Radford, Union, or Graham absolute fits and their point guard in Keyes just locks the opponents best guard down, and on the offensive end when teams try to pack the paint, Keyes is an absolute dead eye.

The Bobcats can win the state title, and we will see what happens, but I will be very surprised if East Rockingham and Nickel don't win it. If you look at past 2A state titles, so many of them through the years have a major Div 1 presence and another guy on the team who is small Div 1 or Div 2. From Radford to Gate City to JM to those Martinsville teams in the past, it's the perfect formula for a title. I think Nickel is not just good, I think this kid is possibly NBA good in a few years. When you have that height and that kind of range (as in, can shoot from the 5 second line), it's scary to think where this kid will end up. I just hope he's a Hokie. Go Bobcats.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to go watch ER now with that hype. Two things about the Bobcats that set them apart is the relentless defense and the depth. They don't have the height and that will cause issues for them but they will run and wear down opponents with the defense and then bring the next five off the bench and not lose much talent. Most good teams have a first 5 that can hang with Radford but when it comes to the second five, I don't think there is anyone that can match that. That is where Radford beats good teams. They will have all they want getting by Floyd on Friday.

East Rock is very good. But much like ER's height doesn't take a night off, neither does Radford's defense. They are smothering. That will be a very good game. I don't have a dog in the fight, but I hope that game happens.

I actually watched Radford for the first time last night. Upon further review, I believe ER will win by double digits. Nickel is the real deal, and they have some solid players around him. I saw Nickel go for 35 in a half against a very good Spottswood team last year. I don't think Radford will be able to deal with him. Hopefully they play and it will be close. Good Luck to All!

I actually watched Radford for the first time last night. Upon further review, I believe ER will win by double digits. Nickel is the real deal, and they have some solid players around him. I saw Nickel go for 35 in a half against a very good Spottswood team last year. I don't think Radford will be able to deal with him. Hopefully they play and it will be close. Good Luck to All!
ER can very well win, but double digits would shock me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT