ADVERTISEMENT

2A Final: Clarke Co. vs. Appomattox

Who wins?

• Appomattox

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Clarke Co.

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
Appomattox on an emotional roll but Clarke had the better and tougher matchup in semifinal..toss up goes to Appomattox

I said it earlier and I'll say it again...I find it hard to believe that any other 2A team is as athletic as Appomattox. Richlands had several great athletes but even they were not as deep at the skill positions as Appomattox. And that's not throwing shade at them, it's just what it is. I say that to say this, speed kills and Appomattox has plenty of it on both sides of the ball, especially defense. For those reasons, Appomattox wins.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Clarke wins because they run a perfect version of the Single wing that nobody sees all year. Not even Appo. Clarke County proved that they can cover the pass last weekend, and dominated with ground control offense and winning the turnover battle. I am partial of course. Clarke 35 Appomattox 28

Clarke wins because they run a perfect version of the Single wing that nobody sees all year. Not even Appo. Clarke County proved that they can cover the pass last weekend, and dominated with ground control offense and winning the turnover battle. I am partial of course. Clarke 35 Appomattox 28
I'm sure Clarke runs thier version of the single wing really well but it's not the first time that the Appomattox coaches and players have seen the single wing. They have played Giles in recent years as well as William Campbell and Amherst this year. All three run the single wing so Clarke's version won't be any surprise to them. Add in Buffalo Gap's and Buckingham's double wing and that is 4-5 times that the Appomattox players AND coaches have seen something similar.

As far as them stopping the pass last week, Union doesn't have the playmakers that Appomattox has on the edge, that's my opinion of having seen both teams play. It will be more of a challenge to stop the Appomattox playmakers. Plus Union is a spread team which makes them more predictable. Appomattox's coaches do a great job of running a balanced offense between a two-back pro set and the spread.

I don't think it will be that easy to run the ball on them either...run defense is the strength of their defense which is only giving up 7 points a game. Of course all of this based on previous games and anything can happen come Saturday afternoon.

Our local paper here said this was Appomattox's first time at the state championship too. Is that true? For some reason, I thought Appomattox had won it before.

Our local paper here said this was Appomattox's first time at the state championship too. Is that true? For some reason, I thought Appomattox had won it before.
I didn't see their name on the list of state champions, but maybe I missed it.

Historically, Clarke has not done well against teams with speed. But I think they "get 'er done" this year. That weight program up their must be impressive. Their offense just pounds on teams. Unless they get way behind early, I think they win it in the 4th quarter.

Then I'm gonna hate the fact that someone goes away from this game with a loss. But looking forward to meeting up with some more folks on this board at the game anyway. It's gonna be an exciting day for both teams!
Unfortunately, every team in the playoffs ends their season with a loss, except for one in each division. I think that means 90 playoff teams lose their last game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT