ADVERTISEMENT

2K4's 1A Virginia Girls Basketball Top Ten 2019-20

2kings4

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 24, 2016
Winchester,VA
1) Surry-Why Surry? Because it is all she knows; For three straight years Bre’cha Byrd’s season has been ended at the state tournament by PM, and this is Byrd’s last chance to win state,80-10, 49-2 in region.

2) GW-There is only one team that will stop the Maroons this season and that team is the Maroons.
3) Riverheads-Like all the east teams on this list they play a mostly 2,3,4A schedule and are more prepared for post season play then other 1A schools. Surry is Riverheads PM

4) Eastside-They can play ball, so don’t be surprised if they end Honaker, PH, or GW’s season late.

5) Patrick Henry-Their chances for a State title in 2019-20 is just as good as any team listed above.

6) Lancaster-Senior led team should be solid

7) Honaker-Will have to battle PH and Eastside, won’t be easy.

8) Stonewall Jackson-A lot of teams can go in the last three spots.

9) Parry McCluer-….

10)Rappahannock Co.-…Put your team here!

I know the PM fans think the success will continue, it will, but it won’t. Those kids were a very special group of girls that had played together since the 2nd grade. Making it to regionals will be the easy part, but to win state again will take more than just a great coach.

2K4’S 1A Virginia Girls Basketball 2019-20 Pre-Season All-State Sr. & Jr. Team
PLAYER-SCHOOL-GRADE-PROJECTED STATS FOR 2019-20

SENIOR TEAM
Bre’cha Byrd, Surry Co-Sr 24pts. 12reb.
Shea Foxx, Galax-Sr 21pts. 14reb.
Khalia Harding, Lancaster-Sr 19pts. 13reb.
Kaylee Yates, Eastside-Sr 18pts 11reb.
Makenzie Ingo, George Wythe-Sr 11pts. 15reb.
Liyah French, Holston-Sr 17pts. 9reb.
Olivia Atkins, Rappahannock Co.-Sr 15pts. 9reb.

JUNIOR TEAM
Breanna Yarber, Patrick Henry-Jr 24pts. 15reb.
Drea Betts, George Wythe-Jr 19pts. 5reb.
Kylene Franklin, Stonewall Jackson-Jr 17pts. 11reb.
Anna Whited, Eastside-Jr 15pts. 10reb.
Peyton Phillipi, George Wythe-Jr 15pts 8reb.
*Lee Anna McNulty, Honaker-Jr 20pts. and 12reb. could miss entire season
BASED ON PREVIOUS SEASONS, THEIR CURRENT TEAM, AND THE AVAILABILITY TO FIND THE INFORMATION NEEDED. THE 13 BEST 1A VIRGINIA GIRLS ARE ON MY LIST ABOVE, BUT THERE’S 500+ OTHER GIRLS PLAYING 1A BASKETBALL IN VIRGINIA, SO YOU NEVER KNOW

Seniors Foxx and Byrd will not have the help they are used too, but they will step-up, their numbers should skyrocket, it will be on them to carry their team to where they end up. McNulty may be out for the entire season. Betts, Ingo, and Phillipi all three will put up big numbers all season, but to keep everyone happy at GW they must score 65+ points per game. Eastside’s Yates and Whited have no pressure on them, the rest of the west better come to play, or your season will be over...Yarber a junior at PH will put the stats up this season and is 2K4’s pick for the 1A Girl’s Player of the year in 2019-20.

Don’t sleep on Rappahannock!! Last years team lost in the second round of regionals to West Point after almost all the starters fouled out.

Ok I will give you a pass on the Tigers for now because yes it’s confirmed that Lee Anna will miss the season. Or very Likely to at the least. The Tigers are still a very good team and I believe better than your 7 ranking. However I will agree maybe not as good as my number 2 ranking.

I’m sorry but the East has been way behind the West for many years. There’s no chance I see anyone other than Surry high on the list until proven otherwise.

I also have a problem with the PM ranking at 9. I’ve said many times that great coaches reload. They never rebuild. Gilbert took the last group of Freshman he had to the final 4. Which means they showed up to the Stage as a power house. Don’t you think he’s the one that was behind those kids putting all the work in from that early age? I expect he’s done the same with this group. I fully expect PM to play for the region title and advance to the State tourney. I also expect them to meet the Tigers in that state quarter final round.

Finals thoughts

It’s great to see a Girls Basketball debate. Many years ago ( about 15 to 20 years ago but who’s counting ) not many people showed a lot of interest for the girls side. I’ve graduated 3 girls and my oldest Coaches D3 for a small school. I think the girls game is much better to watch then the boys.

Here’s my list just to compare as the season moves on

1 GW
2 PM
3 Honaker
4 Eastside
5 Surry
6 PH
7 Lancaster
8 Riverheads
9 Galax
10 anyone is welcome to name a sleeper here

1 GW
2 PM
3 Honaker
4 Eastside
5 Surry
6 PH
7 Lancaster
8 Riverheads
9 Galax

My rankings are based off each region sending two teams to the state tournament, meaning it will come down to four teams east, and four teams west. The top four teams at seasons end will be two from each side, these four teams have to rank 1-4, verses 4 west teams 1-4.

PM plays in a cupcake division and will be the top seed, but I don’t see them beating GW. PM is 10th at best behind Honaker. Galax is the team I have coming out of Region C with GW and RR is my sleeper. Eastside and PH are the top two from region D with McNuIty out.

Surry won their season opener against a 4A school, I don’t see them not making the finals for the third straight year.

I have them with 6 or 7 seniors someone said they were a young team, but we deal with the same lack of information to analyze the east to deeply. 1A Girls B-ball gets a lot more press on one end of Virginia than it does the other. Go Rappahannock!

Zero respect for that. Definently not pulling for a team that has zero respect for their opponent. Be better than that Surry or play better teams. Ridiculous

Last edited:
Reactions: imabluesfan
Zero respect for that. Definently not pulling for a team that has zero respect for their opponent. Be better than that Surry or play better teams. Ridiculous
They are playing the teams in their district its the same as any other teams. Not the girls fault that the other team couldn’t score on the jv girls.

Surry Scores?????
Wow I have to question those motives.
Update Honaker although losing some is alive and well. Took two very tough opponents to the wire.
I see no changes on my current projections at this time.

Reactions: Soccerfan98
You don't play your bench players to run four corners. As long as no pressing is going on the bench players need to execute their sets as well.

Reactions: st8chmpLB
You don't play your bench players to run four corners. As long as no pressing is going on the bench players need to execute their sets as well.
You're correct!
It is odd someone blames Surry for another programs lack to compete.
I think it is amazing to shut a team out completely.
That is why they top my rankings.
Last year when PM was beating up teams 88-5 and 78-4 they were the greatest, when Surry does it, it's disrespectful?

Reactions: st8chmpLB

1 GW
2 PM
3 Honaker
4 Eastside
5 Surry
6 PH
7 Lancaster
8 Riverheads
9 Galax

After 2 weeks I see some minor adjustments need to be made

1. GW
2 Honaker
3 surry
4 Eastside
5 PM
6 PH
7 Riverheads
8 Rural Retreat
9 galax
10 Lancaster

GW - no change

Honaker - moves up. I see a team that is capable of making a state run even without their best player. I also hear there’s hope she comes back in a few weeks

Surry - moving up May not be playing great competition but they have caught my eye so far this year

Eastside - no change

PM - moving down. Bit of a head scratcher so far.
They don’t appear to be playing very well. I’d still be shocked to see their coach lose. Seems to be his M.O taking young teams and winning with them. The last team he developed was younger than this one and they won.

PH - no change

Riverheads - moves up 1 spot. I see they had a nice win over a larger school.

Rural Retreat - new to the list. This team is really catching my eye. They very well could compete for a region title

Galax - no change. We will see in the next two weeks what happens with this team

Lancaster - moves down. No reason really
I just see some other teams looking good

PM will more than likely not be in the mix this year. Where I do believe they have a good coach he was given a team 4 years ago that was already built and ready to play. It was his job to not mess it up. They should win the district but the district is very weak. But they won’t fair we’ll in regional play.

1A Girls Basketball 12/18
1 Surry-look stronger than past few years
2 GW- Will not return home unbeaten, having some issues already
3 Honaker-McNulty will return soon
4 Rappahannock Co-Looking good on both sides of the ball
5 Patrick Henry-Better than Eastside, not as good as Honaker
6 Lancaster-Tough team
7 Eastside-Up and Down, but solid
8 Rural Retreat- Was tied 15-15 at halftime with GW
9 Riverheads-Hard to judge, they play hard schedule

*removed Stonewall Jackson

This weekends Smoky Mountain Classic is loaded, it starts tomorrow and a few of these teams will meet up this weekend.

Ridgeview 4-1, Union 5-0, George Wythe 7-0, Richlands 4-1, Honaker, Eastside, and Patrick Henry.

Last edited:
6 Lancaster-Tough team
9 Stonewall Jackson-Star player doing star things
10 Riverheads-Hard to judge, they play hard schedule

This weekends Smoky Mountain Classic is loaded, it starts tomorrow and a few of these teams will meet up this weekend.

Ridgeview 4-1, Union 5-0, George Wythe 7-0, Richlands 4-1, Honaker, Eastside, and Patrick Henry.

Stonewall Jackson is 2A this year.

Reactions: 2kings4
6 Lancaster-Tough team
9 Stonewall Jackson-Star player doing star things
10 Riverheads-Hard to judge, they play hard schedule

3 of top 6 from the East. I just don’t think that’s accurate. I guess we will all find out soon

6 Lancaster-Tough team
9 Riverheads-Hard to judge, they play hard schedule

*removed Stonewall Jackson

3 of top 6 from the East. I just don’t think that’s accurate. I guess we will all find out soon

If at the end of the year there was a bracket tournament where 16 1A teams were ranked and placed accordingly, then played for the state title I would rank them to finish the year more like what you are saying.
1Surry
2GW
3Honaker
4Patrick Henry
5Eastside
6Rural Retreat
7Rappahannock Co
8Lancaster
9Riverheads
But with the format used there will be 2 east and 2 west teams in the final 4 and I feel that will be Surry GW Honaker and Rap. Co, and the final 8 will consist of two more from each side at the end.

Not to sure of what issues your referring to at GW. There not 7-0 for nothing. They won the bearcat classic beating VA High, John Battle, and Marion all 2A schools. Than turned around and played Marion again and beat them beat R.R twice which is not a bad team than of course Graham. They have issues like any other team at the start of the year. It’s the start of the year. Played Union in the beginning of the year in Scrimmage and beat them pretty good. Yeah there 7-0 but it’s not about going undefeated it’s about playing ur best basketball in Feb and March that’s why the coach put them in the toughest division down in Gatlinburg. They can care less about going undefeated it’s about getting better and all the girls on that team as bought in to what the coach is teaching. GW has a hell of a team and will gel as the season goes. I expect them to make a deep run

make a deep run

I have been to most of their games, maybe they are trying something new and there are no issues.

They destroyed some teams that are 2A, winning by 58,27, and 27, you know these teams are down this year compared to years past. Even Virginia High’s Coach said his team is not what it was last year.

After that game they have played different that is all I mean, winning by 12, 12, and 19, which is great.

I have watched them play 4 games and felt they may lose 1 or 2 this weekend, hell they may come home 10-0.

I don’t care what bracket they are in, they are not in a bracket with Honaker, Eastside, or Patrick Henry, that is what we want to see, who’s Cannon County?

Smoky Mountain Classic

75 Phelps, KY vs 65 Eastside
58 Station Camp, TN vs 43 Honaker
54 White H. Heritage, TN vs 42 Patrick Henry
70 Cannon Co., TN vs 44 George Wythe

I have no dog in this race. But I definitely knw they won’t come bck undefeated. The coach is doing the right thing by taking them to a tournament putting them in the toughest bracket and letting them play and see where they stack up. They won’t be in the same bracket has PH and Honaker and Eastside because there in a lower bracket than GW girls.

47 Eastside, VA vs 35 Ingomar, MS
63 Honaker, VA vs 52 Perry Central, KY
62 Patrick Henry, VA vs 52 Letcher Co. Central, KY
56 Pikeville, KY vs 44 George Wythe

2K4’s 1a Girls Basketball Top Ten 12/25/2019

1 Surry-dominating their competition, these girls only have one goal

2 Patrick Henry-win over Honaker

3 Lancaster-playing solid

4 George Wythe-dropped after three straight losses, should win out

5 Honaker-will be healthy soon

6 Rapp. Co.-a couple losses lately, should rebound

7 Eastside-playing good, waiting for regional play

8 Riverheads-looking forward to the post season

9 Grundy-caught my eye last weekend

10 Rural Retreat-they could not beat Galax and that is a problem

2kings4 my only question is this. Again I have no dog in the race. There is no doubt in my mind that GW girls are one of the better teams in 1A girls. The only team that should beat GW is GW. How can u dropped them 3 spots after losing 3 straight games in Gatlinburg. 1.Yes they will win out 2. They were in the toughest division down there. 3. If they wanted to win I’m sure that the coach would have put them in another bracket so that they could. That’s what teams need is to go to Tournaments and play tougher competition.....not go and play the same ole competition as ur use to seeing. Heck if that was the case he would’ve put them in the same bracket as last year where they were in the championship game but he didn’t want that he wanted a challenge for the girls. I have respect for a coach like that. So dropping them 3 spots for playing in the toughest bracket in Gatlinburg I find that to be a bit crazy. Just thought I’d share that. Furthermore u put PH 2nd because they beat Honaker. But then u put Honaker 4th and put will be healthy soon. So u really put PH 2nd for beating a Honaker team that wasn’t healthy to begin with. Cmon man.....

It’s really hard to leave GW at the top spot after losing 3 games. Although the competition was fierce this past weekend. Competition was good in all the brackets if you ask me.

I think 2K has explained his ranking about East and West a few times but I still don’t have a lot of respect for most of the East right now.

1 GW
2 PH
3 Surry
4 Honaker
5 Riverheads
6 PM
7 Eastside
8 Galax
9 Rural Retreat
10 Lancaster

Champ rankings I must agree with u. Competition in TN was absolutely fierce. Southwest va girls will not see competition like that the rest of the way. And yes the East is not to high on my list right now

After the three straight losses I looked into the toughest bracket theory and GW’s body of work this season before I dropped them.

“The bracket” maybe the coach telling them their bracket was the toughest was an unsuccessful coaching tactic that gave them an excuse to not win any games.

Tennessee and Kentucky provide a lot more information and seem more dedicated to high school sports’ programs than Virginia.

Cannon Co. TN and Pikeville, KY were not the best teams from either state playing in this tournament, ranking in their state behind teams in the other brackets.

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kygbk19 Kentucky

https://www.coacht.com/tennessee/sport.cfm?sportid=2 Tennessee

The only team GW has beat this year that they lost to in years past is Virginia High which lost to Holston.

PH beat a good Honaker team that will only be better, they deserve to move up, their coach put them in the toughest bracket also.

Surry Co. is the #1 1A team in the state until another 1A team beats them. They returned 6 seniors that are two-time state runners-up. Got to show them some love, at least buy the book, it’s not bad.

SELF LOVE…L O V E S E L F…by Brécha Byrd

Reactions: afitnupe75
Just because the 2 teams u mentioned were not ranked high in there state doesn’t mean they weren’t in the best bracket. I knw for a fact how the brackets were selected as I knw someone over the tournament (a good friend of mine) so yes I knw exactly how it was divided up. They divided it up by level of competition and color coded it. The best teams had a certain color and so forth. GW beat VA High by like 6 or 7 which is a 2A school. Beat John Battle by 30 which is a 2A School which Eastside and and VA High barely beat. Beat Marion twice once by 40 and another by 12 which is a 2A school. VA High didn’t lose to Holston this year. Out of 7 of GW wins they beat 5 2A schools. I don’t think that is to bad.

Also...outside of the Gatlinburg Tournament I do believe GW has played and won against more 2A schools than some other 1A schools. GW has won 7 games..... 5 of the 7 came from 2A schools. Not sure about PH and or Honaker in how many 2A schools they have played and won.

Last edited:
After the three straight losses I looked into the toughest bracket theory and GW’s body of work this season before I dropped them.

“The bracket” maybe the coach telling them their bracket was the toughest was an unsuccessful coaching tactic that gave them an excuse to not win any games.

Tennessee and Kentucky provide a lot more information and seem more dedicated to high school sports’ programs than Virginia.

Cannon Co. TN and Pikeville, KY were not the best teams from either state playing in this tournament, ranking in their state behind teams in the other brackets.

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kygbk19 Kentucky

https://www.coacht.com/tennessee/sport.cfm?sportid=2 Tennessee

The only team GW has beat this year that they lost to in years past is Virginia High which lost to Holston.

PH beat a good Honaker team that will only be better, they deserve to move up, their coach put them in the toughest bracket also.

Surry Co. is the #1 1A team in the state until another 1A team beats them. They returned 6 seniors that are two-time state runners-up. Got to show them some love, at least buy the book, it’s not bad.

SELF LOVE…L O V E S E L F…by Brécha Byrd

I’m sorry I must say again that the East has simply been no match for the west for several years now. Surry along with much of the East plays the weakest teams in the state. 1A 2A3A has mostly been dominated by the west with teams such as PM and Wise both winning 3 in a row which is un heard of. PM the 1A team actually being better than any 2A team I’ve saw in the past 5 years. Which is also unheard of.
I expect GW,PH, or Honaker to carry on the tradition of winning states from the west side this year. I agree with VTBOY that GWs Coach appears to be placing his team against some tough competition which is a great idea.
I don’t think GW or anyone in the west for that matter is close to what PM was the past few years, however I do think in the D1 Division that GW has more than enough to win the State. It will come down to whoever wins the West.
My heart and my pick goes to a healthy Honaker team. For now though I will place GW at the top.

I don't follow girls basketball that closely, but as someone from the East, the girls teams out this way aren't nowhere near as fundamentally sound as the girls in the West. In the East, I see a lot of one on one play and playing out of control. In the West, I've seen teams in recent years like PM and Wise move the ball around and play team basketball. Those teams had very balanced scoring and always seemed to find the open player. Not to mention the defensive intensity that they brought. I have no clue what any girls team has this year, other than what I've read on here, but if past history is any indication, then it will be a Western team winning it all.

2K4’s 1a Girls Basketball Top Ten 1/7/2020

1. Patrick Henry-1/9 Twin Valley-must win out to stay on top
2. GW-next competition won’t arrive until the state tournament

3. Surry Co.-lost 4 straight to a 4A & 3 5A schools
4. Lancaster-1/7 @ Washington & Lee-still don’t see them beating Surry

5. Honaker-1/7 @ Hurley-not hearing good news, anyone?
6. Eastside-1/7 @ Twin Springs-rolling along

7. Rapp.-1/7 Northumberland
8. Riverheads- it happens in the post season they say

9. Grundy-1/7 Council-1/8 Richlands
Thomas Walker- 1/7 Castlewood-have looked impressive this season
Rural Retreat-region D has several good teams.

Surry will definitely be in the State Championship game again this year. The 4 losses that have against 5A and 4A schools, all came with 4 out of 5 of their starters out due to injuries. As far as the West dominating the East every year...I remember 3 years ago when Surry only lost to PM by three points 51-48 in the semifinals, that could have easily gone the other due to 2 unforced turnovers by Surry. Yes, the West are fundamentally skilled for the most part but does not discredit Surrys talent and success. The now Seniors have made it to the State Semifinals and Finals every year. Don't count them out. Their current Coach is the same coach that gave the Cougars their first and only State Championship for the girls.

Reactions: 2kings4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT