ADVERTISEMENT

3 out of the 4 teams in Final 4...

DEVILSLB99

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2005
Have players from VA on their rosters

FSU- EJ Levenberry (Hylton) So LB and Derrick Nnadi (Ocean Lakes) Fr. DL
Alabama- Dashawn Hand (Woodbridge) Fr. DL and Jonathan Allen (Stone Bridge) So. DL
Ohio State - Jalyn Holmes (Lake Taylor) Fr. DL

I'm a lil mad I'm not at the Bama-OSU game, but family first and a trip to New Orleans would have been great but its the Mrs. Birthday!! Oh well I'll be cheering on the Bucks tomorrow night!! Great to see kids in state making names for themselves once they leave the state. One big question is how did VT and UVA let these kids leave the state as all of them were top 100 players. I know why Holmes left, but the rest of them??

If the state of VA and Tech or UVA isn't good enough for them, then good riddance.

You must be one of those people that want all the kids to stay in state....Maybe the coaches recruiting the kids are doing a poor job in recruiting.

Or maybe the kids want to put a little distance between themselves and any potential distractions back home. Heaven forbid they just actually like the out of state school. You missed Kirven from Brookville on the Bama roster. I need to review the Oregon roster because at one time they had a kid with Virginia ties as well. What was the story with Holmes and his decision making process?

Yea Idk how I forgot Curtis who by the way is one of the captains for OSU.

Holmes when he first blew up after his soph season was 100% lock to go to VT. He liked Tech a lot thought the chance to play close to home was cool and he really liked Coach Foster as they were his first offer. UVA came on right after VT and offered, but he didn't want to be associated with the guys Tidewater that all went to UVA because of ties to the group that I shall not name so UVA wasn't a factor. He then got a Clemson offer and then it started blowing up with offers from everywhere, but still through all this VT was in great shape. It wasn't until FSU offered that VT started to lose some traction because that was his "dream" school. Once OSU came on board that was a great offer, but still it was more like VT and FSU. Well the spring/summer leading up to his Sr. season he decided to take some visits and see VT, FSU, OSU, Clemson, and a couple other schools. Went to VT and while they were showing him around he caught a glimpse of the board and they had him listed as a TE. Now he was all state at TE, but he wanted to play DE in college and was told by the VT coaches that is what they were recruiting him as. Him being cool with Bucky he saw how Bucky was recruited as a QB and moved to TE, so that day VT eliminated themselves because if they wanted him to be a TE they could have told him that up front and he thought (BS) wasn't up front. I took him to OSU (got a ticket in Rockbridge) and I will tell you like this Urban Meyer had me ready to commit. The football part was great, but it was the life after football that stood out. He makes them update their resume and have job interviews every year. They have business owners and CEO speak to the team about life after football they call it "Real Life Wednesday's" Here is where FSU messed themselves up the recruiter at FSU didn't even know the schools APR (Academic Progress Rate) , yet at OSU it was all over the place in the football facility and that is something coach Meyer was really big on. Jalyn's mom is a guidance counselor so she is very big on academics as any parent should. That night in the hotel we talked it over and he wanted to commit to OSU and turn down his "dream" school so before we left he committed, but the sad part was the media caught wind and released it, before he could notify the other coaches. He wanted to also talk it over and do it with his teammates there and so he had to deny all the rumor until his official announcement when we got back. Even though all this happened in June it didn't stop other schools from still trying to change his mind. He turned down Alabama, FSU, and a lot of good schools because Urban Meyer is that good of a recruiter along of Zach Smith who was his lead recruiter. I'll leave you all with this story about coach Meyer. At Jalyn's in home visit we're all over talking and watching an NBA game. Well Kevin Durant is being talked about as the MVP and Coach Meyer say's " Is this Durant guy any good? I've heard his name a couple of times, but is he really that good? I'm a LeBron guy." He really didn't have a clue about how good Durant is because he's so dedicated to football and he stated that. He just knows LeBron.

Writing is on the wall for my Hokies, DEVILS i believe that. In some ways cant blame Tech for Jayln, the kid is a stud, but he loves defense and apparently has a good head on his shoulders. Whatever he does I hope he shows out!

Originally posted by DEVILSLB99:
You must be one of those people that want all the kids to stay in state....Maybe the coaches recruiting the kids are doing a poor job in recruiting.
Especially here in the East, we have a lot of kids who aren't native Virginians. They have a lot of family elsewhere and want to go there.

Originally posted by DEVILSLB99:
Hey Devils, hit me up: coachvid@msn.com. I'd like to talk about some of this but not publicly.

It's about the percentage of chance at playing on Sundays. look at how many players Bama, OU, Oregon, and FSU have playing in the NFL compared to and Virginia based schools. Yes UVA and Tech have players in the NFL , and many are very successful, however better visibility at the top programs in the country.

Thanks!!..

That group that shall remain nameless is about as sleazy as they come IMO and I am glad to hear at least in one case a kid was smart enough to recognize it. Appreciate the feedback on the rest of the story as well. I think you may lose a recruit from time to time being honest with them about their prospects but, you're going to lose the good kids every time if you're dishonest about your intentions. I hope Jalyn's experience at OSU is everything he hopes for and after last last night it is certainly off to a good start. It will be interesting to hear after he completes his career whether the promises and sales job lined up with the actual experience. All recruiters are great salesmen and motivators, however, the actual reality is sometimes a little different. Again, thanks for the feedback!

Re: Thanks!!..

No problem... I know one thing he loves it up there and that team is very young. When B. Miller went down Jalyn told me that JT and Cardale are legit and there wouldn't be a huge drop off in play just experience. He is behind 88 who picked off that pass last night and have seen playing time in a lot of games. So far Coach Meyer has kept his word we shall see. I still talk to his recruiting coach and he keeps me updated with how he's doing. He could blow me off, but he's a text or call away which is cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT